How did the gym treadmill read my HRM?

Options
I have the timex HRM, dont remember which one, but it is the one that was on here a few weeks about about being on BUY.com. anyway, how did the treadmill at the gym read it? I was on the treadmill and it was keeping my HR without me even touching it. it went up with me, and it was RIGHT ON with my HRM. Calories too.. whats up with that?

Replies

• Tamishumate
    Tamishumate Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I have the timex HRM, dont remember which one, but it is the one that was on here a few weeks about about being on BUY.com. anyway, how did the treadmill at the gym read it? I was on the treadmill and it was keeping my HR without me even touching it. it went up with me, and it was RIGHT ON with my HRM. Calories too.. whats up with that?
  • trenauldo
    trenauldo Posts: 235
    Options
    Fairy dust... That's all I can think of. :bigsmile:

Seriously, it wouldn't surprise me if HRM's and certain pieces of cardio equipment could communicate these days. Soon the whole world will be linked by Bluetooth... lol.
  • Tamishumate
    Options
    I know it sounds totally out there, but it was right on with it. And i never touched the sensors .. and it increased with my HR.. so maybe it was just a RIGHT ON, fluke?
  • trenauldo
    trenauldo Posts: 235
    Options
    Sounds that way Tami... Again, nothing would surprise me with the way everything communicates these days. Heck, my pc might even know my heart rate RIGHT NOW... Scary stuff... :wink:
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Lots of gym equipment these days will read your HRM. If you have a chest strap one, it reads the same signal your receiver watch reads.
  • MisoSoup79
    MisoSoup79 Posts: 517
    Options
    our gym equipment says right on it that it is "Polar" capable... it always picks mine up:flowerforyou:
  • jeffwyeg
    jeffwyeg Posts: 105
    Options
    Yeah...I noticed that too with my new Polar...creepy...lol :laugh:
  • Tamishumate
    Options
    Lots of gym equipment these days will read your HRM. If you have a chest strap one, it reads the same signal your receiver watch reads.

THANK YOU!!! I do have a chest strap one, and my gym is only a few months old, so all the treadmills and stuff are new. I am not Crazy! lol
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    I was surprised the other day when my Reebok HRM (chest strap) and treadmill indicated the same thing. And our treadmills are a few years old. Pretty neat.
  • jackeh
    jackeh Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    yup mind does that too!!! i thought i was just going crazy:laugh:
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    LOL, the HRM sends out an infrared pulse, it's not magic, it's the same technology wireless mice and keyboards use to talk to a computer. That's why coded HRM's are better then non-coded ones, because the machine (or your HRM receiver, watch...whatever) doesn't care where it get's the information from, and someone else's HRM could be sending info too, coded ones won't read other HRM pulses, only yours (but the Gym equipment won't do that). The good news the infrared pulse is only about 5 feet, so only someone on the next tread mill or elliptical would interfere with you. Just so you know though, the gym equipment may be reading your heart rate, but they usually don't have all the facts to calculate calories accurately, so better to trust your HRM which usually keeps age, weight, sex, and other factors to make the calorie burn more accurate.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Any cardio equipment made by a known brand will most likely have an HRM receiver installed in the console. Polar makes a plug-in receiver, maybe 1" x 1" that plugs into a jack connector built into the console.