When you are soooo hungry, and can't get enuff

Options
How do you soothe the angry, hungry beast we all have? I really am a "volume" eater. What do you eat in emergencies to fill you up? Soup just does not do it for me. I eat plenty of protein, fats and carbs, but some days I just can't get past the hunger. I need ideas for low kcal, fill-me-up food.

Replies

• xoxcuppiexox
    xoxcuppiexox Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    oatmeal or cottage cheese normally does the trick for me.
  • slainger
    slainger Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    a big volume, low cal option I use is popcorn!
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Lean protein, fibrous veggies, a liter of water after a meal.

I also eat larger meals less frequently, and I skip breakfast. Snacks don't do anything but piss me off.
  • rbvaudrizle
    rbvaudrizle Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I eat almonds (raw not honey roasted or etc..) or a handful of grapes. Within 10 mins i am ok. But those are some rough 10 mins sometimes.
  • vbennett7
    vbennett7 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    fruits and vegetables, of course. If its baked goods, like banana bread, replace the oil or butter with unsweetened applesauce, and replace each egg with 2 egg whites. Much healthier and lower in fat and calories. I also use 1/2 regular flour and 1/2 whole wheat. Recently, I added 1/4 cup of quick oats to help lesson the moisture from the applesauce.

Make a smoothie with frozen fruit, juice or low fat milk, and low fat yogurt-very filling. A baked sweet potato will really fill you up, too
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    GG Scandinavian Bread Crisps (2), with peanut butter (1 tblsp), honey (1 tsp), cinnamon. Large cup of tea.
  • skump425
    skump425 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I think the main thing to think is "am I ACTUALLY hungry or do I just want to keep eating" most likely it is the latter...atleast with me

I will give myself 1 serving of whatever it is and put the rest away!! especially if it is a hot meal, once its cold, it is more of a hassle to reheat
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Eat meals high in protein and you can't go wrong. They will make you feel good and sated.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    snack piss you off? lol lack of snacks piss me off! My entire days are nothing but snacks and breakfast is my only real meal. but I recently found Kefir, it's like yogurt, high protein, good w/ some whey protein, drinking that in a few minutes
  • gogogo53
    gogogo53 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I eat almonds (raw not honey roasted or etc..) or a handful of grapes. Within 10 mins i am ok. But those are some rough 10 mins sometimes.
    Almonds work for me also !!!
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Boiled eggs and Budweiser.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    snack piss you off? lol lack of snacks piss me off! My entire days are nothing but snacks and breakfast is my only real meal. but I recently found Kefir, it's like yogurt, high protein, good w/ some whey protein, drinking that in a few minutes

LOL. I tried the 6 meal a day thing, it was torture.
  • JulieF11
    JulieF11 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Egg white with veggies... lots of them. If you are really hungry, they fill you up and are very low in calories.
  • Gina033
    Gina033 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    When your in a "snacking" mood fat free popcorn makes you feel like you can eat alot for a little "cost"! Also drink alot of water before you eat your snack and you will feel fuller faster. I hate drinking lots of water at one time but it really does work!
  • WickedMouse
    WickedMouse Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Up my water intake.
  • karenwill2
    karenwill2 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    cheese. I love it so much.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    bump!

my ideas: apples/banana with or w/o peanut butter, popcorn, carrots, edamame
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    It takes a while for your brain to realize you're satisfied. I find eating a small portion slowly and waiting 15-20 minutes to see if I'm still hungry helpful. I can always eat more if I really want more. If you want to eat more and you recognize that your stomach's saying you're full, then you're eating for some emotional reason ... and you probably want to look into what's motivating your emotional hunger.

Also, I like something with some fat in it for a snack because I find them more satisfying ... a small handful of nuts, some reduced fat cheese are my favorites.
  • Lyrinosis
    Options
    Eat a small healthy snack and then play video games for 10 minutes to get your mind off it... Don't like video games? try solitaire, call a friend, wikipedia...

Make a list of things you can do to distract yourself for 10-15 minutes while the craving goes away... Its just your body's natural way of telling you to eat, it goes away, you just have to wait.
  • NoVa9967
    Options
    Fruits/oatmeal/nuts/popcorn :)