Biking Calories Burned

Options
singfree
singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
Wow! I just got a new HRM last week, and tried it out during a bicycle training workout. I'm averaging 700+ calories per hour. One nice thing is that the HRM also gives me the avg. HR during the workout. I'm keeping my HR at 150+, which is good for my age (54). It also motivates me to keep the pace up when I am getting tired or sucking wind on the hills.

Replies

• singfree
    Options
    Wow! I just got a new HRM last week, and tried it out during a bicycle training workout. I'm averaging 700+ calories per hour. One nice thing is that the HRM also gives me the avg. HR during the workout. I'm keeping my HR at 150+, which is good for my age (54). It also motivates me to keep the pace up when I am getting tired or sucking wind on the hills.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are matching the HR readings you get to your feelings of perceived exertion. All Target Heart Rate calculators have a sizable standard of error when estimating max heart rate, so you could find your actual heart rate is noticeably above or below what the "book" says. The average person is not going to be tested in an exercise lab, so pay attention to how you feel at different perceived intensities and use those feelings to help "calibrate" YOUR individual HR response. Have fun--heart rate monitors can be great tracking and motivating tools.
  • Mireille
    Mireille Posts: 5,134 Member
    Options
    I completely agree. Makes you wonder how you ever survived without it, huh? lol

It's the best $80 I have ever spent!

:flowerforyou:
  • singfree
    Options
    Usually on my rides, I will have a few hills that require all-out exertion. During those times I will max at 165-170 BPM, which I can verify by perceived intensity. I'm almost 55, so I don't want to stay at 170 for very long. I try to stay around 145-155 BPM. I really feel like I get a good strong workout at that pace. The nice part of riding in my area (Eastern PA) is that there are a lot of paved back roads with virtually no traffic. Lots of rolling hills and curves, which keeps the ride interesting. I'm now looking to buy a nice road bike. Currently I ride a Trek hybrid.