Best Cheat Day ever!

Options

Replies

• lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    Options

What is the difference between a cheat and a binge? Actually asking, no snark here.

The difference between a cheat and binge, in my opinion, is that the cheat is planned, and within a limit of control, while a binge is unplanned, and due to letting cravings go unsatisfied for too long.

Before I "cheat" I make sure I have an extra good week. I exercise, plenty, and drink lots of water. I know what I'm going to eat, and how much, but I plan it so that it is not severe.

If I binge, it is likely because I haven't had something in a while, and my emotions take over. For example, once I was stressed and on my time of month. I couldn't stop eating, because I was mad. That was not planned, and I did not keep it within my limits.

Great explanation about the two. I tend to call them "earned days" instead of cheat days. I take all my accumulated exercise calories for the week and I eat them back in one day. I feel absolutely no guilt because I earned every tasty mouthful. It also helps to keep me motivated to burn as much as possible during the week. I'm not a binge eater at all and have no problem avoiding temptation 6 days out of the week but I would think binging would involved guilt and out of control eating.
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    My best "cheat" days are when I run a half marathon. It's the one day I truly eat whatever I want and have no guilt about it... and trust me, I eat a lot more than I burn from the race.

Every year we go to Salt Lake City for the Half Marathon/Marathon race, and that night we go out for Mexican food (unlimited chips and salsa -- oh yea!!) and then we go out for ice cream. And not some wimpy cone or sundae, but a mountain of ice cream with whatever toppings/pastry our heart desires.

And next weekend.... oh yes, it's the Salt Lake City race.... and my one major cheat day of the year! (There are others, but this one usually tops them all! LOL)
  • lpchica36
    lpchica36 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Totally agree... what separates the cheat day from a binge is whether you control what you eat or whether what you eat controls you. Yes, I ate all that food.. but I planned it all and was in control the entire time.
  • EchoOfYourPast
    EchoOfYourPast Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    i don't give myself cheat days....but....i did mess up horribly the other day.....my husband wanted whataburger...i planned on eating a chicken sandwich or something ....i ordered his double meat cheeseburger meal....and when i went to order mine.....another double meat and large fries popped out of my mouth......i finished b4 him. I was horrified...but enjoyed it.
    San :)
  • unicornpoop
    unicornpoop Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Many of these cheats sound like binges to me. How is that a healthy mindset as a reward?

What is the difference between a cheat and a binge? Actually asking, no snark here.

I, personally don't see much of a difference. I know people are here for different reasons. Some just want weight loss, while others want to be healthy, and even fit on top of that. I don't have cheat days/binge because it's something my body doesn't crave anymore. I want more than weight loss. I want to be healthy. Yes, you can be slim and still eat what you want, but by putting certain foods into your body isn't good for you. I didn't come this far to through it all away. I just don't crave these things anymore. It's amazing.

I'm not really sure why you decided to post on this board. Maybe you just needed to feel superior to others that you don't eat indulgent food every now and then. Way to toot your own horn. I hope you feel amazing now!
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    Many of these cheats sound like binges to me. How is that a healthy mindset as a reward?

I, personally don't see much of a difference. I know people are here for different reasons. Some just want weight loss, while others want to be healthy, and even fit on top of that. I don't have cheat days/binge because it's something my body doesn't crave anymore. I want more than weight loss. I want to be healthy. Yes, you can be slim and still eat what you want, but by putting certain foods into your body isn't good for you. I didn't come this far to through it all away. I just don't crave these things anymore. It's amazing.

I'm not really sure why you decided to post on this board. Maybe you just needed to feel superior to others that you don't eat indulgent food every now and then. Way to toot your own horn. I hope you feel amazing now!

AMEN!
  • HowieTwoPointZero
    HowieTwoPointZero Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I had my first (and after a 4lb gain this week last) cheat day on my birthday. I don't remember everything I ate (which was the point) but other then the 2 liters of kosher for passover coke and tons of rum, I had hamburger, cheese, more cheese, and basically all the bacon and eggs you have.

And please don't think I meant "A lot of bacon and eggs". I had ALL the bacon and eggs you had.
  • lottie_28
    lottie_28 Posts: 26
    Options
    For me a cheat day is allowing myself to give into the indulgences I often deny myself!
    Mainly Ben and Jerry's cookie dough ice cream (and more often than not, the whole 500L :D), and crisps. Man I think I have an entire emotional relationship with crisps. Specifically salt and vinegar kettle chips, and oven roast chicken and thyme sensations.

What separates a cheat from a binge for me, is that I'll decide I want the ice cream. Then probably spend about half an hour telling myself I don't. And then I go and eat the ice cream. And I'm happy (and maybe feel a little sick!) but I'm in control. A binge is if I eat the ice cream, then realise I need more crap in my body so then go and buy and eat a lot of junk food, stuff that I don't even want or am hungry for, eat it and still don't feel satisfied.

I actually get more satisfaction out of 'cheating' because eating unhealthy foods but in a controlled manner is still a relatively new concept for me!

And I think it is beneficial to have cheat days, or cheat meals, or cheat desserts. I think if you're really craving something, it's better to have it at a meal or as a dessert (or devote an entire day to it!) because you get often get the craving out of your system that way, and it reduces the psychological feeling of food deprivation that causes people to binge and give up on 'dieting'.
  • lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    Options

^Love you!!! I could not understand why she bothered to post on this message either
  • Summer5555
    Summer5555 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    My cheat day involved a bowl of trifle and a very large piece of toblerone cheesecake. Tasted nice, don't regret eating it but remembered why I shouldn't eat like that because I felt sick afterwards. Still very vivid in my memory, so last weekend at a family gathering where my SIL made 4 very nice cakes I happily declined, I'm set for the next 6 months now.
  • doinitforme2012
    doinitforme2012 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    When I made my mom her favorite dinner for her birthday :) steak cooked in caramelized onions, corn on the cob, roasted Idaho and red potatoes, a salad, and home made cherry cheesecake. i made my mom's bad day good and got to eat yummy food.

EDIT: my cheat days are random usually special occasions or hubby may wake up on one of his days off and ask if i want to go out to dinner. ( he works second shift and usually wakes up between 1 & 2 pm) if it's a special occasion then i have a healthy breakfast and then everything else is fair game, i don't eat freakish amounts or anything i just eat what ever sounds good and don't even check the calorie content, if it's just going out to dinner then it's just the cheat meal and an extra workout.
  • Amy_Lee_2012
    Amy_Lee_2012 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Usually, my cheat days consist of my regular, healthy meals and then a good amount of chocolate!
    But, every now and then, I make a roast beef dinner, with both mashed potatoes and fried potatoes with cheese sauce, all sorts of veggies, heaps of gravy, dinner rolls and cheesecake for dessert.
    I only do this once every couple of months, and it's SO worth it!
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    CHRISTMAS. Felt good at the time, regretted later...definitely agreed! Or, my freshman year of college when I was a huge emotional eater...full pizza and box of cinnamon sticks, and a different night a full box of Keeber cookies with milk!
  • KrisyKat
    KrisyKat Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I indulged in a gorgonzola cheeseburger, garlic fries, and two blueberry lemon drop martinis on a lunch date. It was divine!! :smooched:
  • Nutrition1975
    Options
    Every day I can enjoy Cadbury mini eggs is a the BEST cheat day!!! I don't call it a cheat I call it a treat :)
  • PeaceLoveVeggies
    PeaceLoveVeggies Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Two weeks ago. Applebee's. Chili Cheese Nachos (without carne!), Veggie Patch Pizza [I had like 2 or 3 slices], Chocolate Chip Brownie Sundae [OMG, 1540 calories but so worth it] anddd a White Peach Sangria - I drank the whole thing by myself lol

holy *kitten*...that's like what 3500 in a meal or did you do that throughout the day?

In one meal lol
  • travellernikki
    travellernikki Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    When I ate an entire jar of nutella! :)

Same! Nutella is my weakness, especially with plain cookies for dipping > <
  • sem41278
    sem41278 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    What was your best cheat meal you have ever done?

The best cheat meal i have ever done was 2 months ago (probably the worst one to this day) was I once ate a whole Large Hawaiian Style Pizza, 2 Bluemoon Beers, and 3 large chocolate chip cookies. It felt great at the time, but not so much a few hours later.

Sounds amazing! :-)

If I do cheat days/meals, it's usually something like McDonald's. I know McDonald's is extremely disgusting to a lot of people, but for some reason I think it's soooo good.

That's because McDonalds food is composed mostly of crack. We all know crack is addicting!

it seriously is-- especially the doble cheeseburgers-- but I think if I ate one now after 2 months of none I'd be running for the bathroom.
  • Rikki007s
    Rikki007s Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Chicken Fried Steak and Mashed Potatoes with brown gravy...'nuff said!

YES! I was just about to post this exact meal. I had this yesterday and it came to 1270 calories. Totally worth it though as I think it's probably my favorite meal.
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    well, yesterday i went over 3k cals haha in addition to my 2200 daily ones