Trapped wind due to protein?

Options
2»

Replies

• belinda_73
    belinda_73 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    oh i feel your pain, i used to blow up each time i drank protein powder, there are some GNC ones that have enzymes in them or buy enzymes from a natural food store, take them before each shake, it helps a lot!
  • nikolaim5
    nikolaim5 Posts: 233
    Options
    oh i feel your pain, i used to blow up each time i drank protein powder, there are some GNC ones that have enzymes in them or buy enzymes from a natural food store, take them before each shake, it helps a lot!

Have you tried whey isolate protein? Easier on the system for many.
  • granolagrl85
    Options
    Walk, walk, walk. Just like you pump the legs of a baby you need to move your legs to help get peristalsis going and move that air out. On NYE I spent the night in the ER and got IVP pain killers because of gas! I'm a nurse so I pretty much knew what it was and didn't want to go to the ER for it but OMG...I barely could walk. I've removed grains from my diet this month and no longer have "wind" like I previously experienced.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Not directly eating protein, but high protein diets are often fibre deficient, which can cause constipation.
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Do 100 jumping jacks or some form of jumping and flailing around. That usually helps me. :bigsmile:
  • RonKay
    RonKay Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Yoga stretches tend to help me out when i'm in similar situations!
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    goldfinger88:
    Actually, from the studies I've read, people need a fair degree of protein and less carbs --- just the opposite to what our wonderful government says on its pyramid.

That's interesting. There are endless studies that I could google but I'm interested in reading one you recommend.
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Stomach bugs, lots of vegetables, especially cruciferous will cause gas. Not enough water may cause constipation too trapping it all in on top of not enough fibre both soluble and insoluble. Loads of reasons. I doubt it's your protein intake.
  • jonski1968
    jonski1968 Posts: 4,498 Member
    Options
    i don't understand high protein,low carb diets.

Ok, then let me help you out..

There is no scientific evidence that demonstrates any harm with a high protein diet. Assuming enough dietary fats and carbs for normal function and no preexisting medical condition you can eat as much protein as you like.

But also drink as much water as you can...
  • christina0089
    christina0089 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Peppermint tea works well for gas. I would say just see how you feel after a day or so because there are so many things that can cause a dull ache most were mentioned in your post. (gas, sore muscles, certain foods) but if the pain persist you may want to check with your doctor.
  • stayxtrue
    stayxtrue Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    I doubt thats you are having trapped wind due to high protein. I eat over 300 grams a day on most occasions and I fart! So no wind issues there..

According to the university of sydney in Australia the higher protein diets were much more successful with weight loss

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/breaking-news/high-protein-diet-helps-weight-loss-study/story-e6frf7jx-1226251174872
  • sms1986
    sms1986 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. To clarify, by protein I meant just food that put my protein above the level set by the site.
    Another thing to think about. any chance you are lactose intolerant?

I'm not, although you can become intolerant to lactose.