Asparagus recipes ?

Options
I hear a lot of people talk about how good Asparagus is..so I decided to buy some today. Only problem is, I don't know what to do with it! What are some good recipes with Asparagus?

Replies

• minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I like to roast it and toss it with a little balsamic, garlic, and olive oil.
  • Grannyhe
    Options
    I spray a little Olive Oil on it/salt and pepper, then roast in oven..........you decide on how well done you like it. It's also good steamed in microwave for a minute or so.
  • albrst
    albrst Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    We like to saute it in a pan with some shrimp. You can do this very low calorie by using 0 calorie cooking spray, 0 calorie spray butter and seasonings. It's really good this way and you get all the health benefits of the shrimp too.
  • ThinningDownChick
    ThinningDownChick Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I eat it raw in wraps OR I steam it in the microwave (in a steaming bag) or wrap it in foil, squirt some lemon and garlic on it and bake it at 350 for 15 minutes
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    We have it several times a week. To fix it quickly: put the spears on a plate, squirt with real lemon juice (not just flavored stuff), throw on a piece of plastic wrap and microwave for 2.5 - 3 minutes.

Yum!!!
  • jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I toss mine in italian dressing and grill it with red bell peppers. Yum-mazing!
  • DonnaRe2012
    DonnaRe2012 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Roasted in the oven with a little olive oil, salt and pepper.
  • PositivelyFlawed
    PositivelyFlawed Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMmmmm love asparagus!

I do:

Steamed then add squeeze of fresh lemon juice and some black pepper OR just apple cider vinegar and pepper
    Roasted with a little EVOO and a sprinkle of parmesan cheese or a bit of feta cheese
    Grilled with just a lil EVOO and S&P

Sometimes i just steam up some asparagus and just eat it, just like that. Its soo good :)

When I steam i like it to be just barely tender on the outer and firmer inside, but roasted the flavour is fuller if you let it get nice and tender all the way thru, but not mushy. Everyone will have a different preference
  • MellyPfromVT
    MellyPfromVT Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    roast it! season with garlic salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. Drizzle with a little EVOO and roast in the oven...I somtimes use the low broil setting or 425.
  • JamesonsMommy
    JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Only if you like garlic........ Take about 6 or 7 cloves of garlic and slice it into thin strips.. Trim your asparagus (I find the bottom part just nasty...lol) Add your sliced garlic and asparagus to a ziplock bag with about a tablespoon of EVOO. Shake it up and put it in the fridge.. forget about it for 3 or 4 hours... heat oven to about 400-425 and roast until the ends start to blacken a bit.. I like to add some shallots to mine because they add some flavor too... good luck!!
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Roast with a little olive oil (around 400F).

Saute some shallots or red onions in olive oil, then add the asparagus and saute until it's done.

Also, be sure to break off the ends, they can be tough.
  • SKHaz1
    SKHaz1 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I spray 0 calorie cooking spray on it, garlic salt, chop up some onions and roast it in the oven for 10-12 minutes at 450. then i sprinkle some parmesan on it to top it off!
  • monkeymouse74
    Options
    I lightly coat mine with olive oil, salt and pepper, then grill until tender. While it's grilling I mix feta cheese and a small amount of butter with a spoon of tobasco sauce. When they're grilled, I toss them with the mix until the feta starts to melt. Sounds wiered, but it's really tasty!!! Everyone I've served this to has begged me for the recipe! :flowerforyou:

I forgot, chop off about an inch or two off the bottoms. they get woody and tough at the bottom.
  • jenny95662
    jenny95662 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    I love it i like too spread it out on a sheet pan, drizzle with olive oil add salt garlic and onion powder chopped onions on it and sometimes i add some green and black olives (not a lot just for the taste) roast it in the oven and omg try not to eat it all lmao
  • tskaay
    tskaay Posts: 8
    Options
    1. Saute it with some no calorie spray, add low salt soy sauce - just a tad - and some pepper. Love!

2. You can also grill it with some of the same spray and sea salt - spray the asparagus on some tin foil, and grill away!

3. Steam it and squeeze a small portion of lemon on it. Add sea salt and pepper.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    However I cook them, I always use a potato peeler on the bottom 1/2 of each to make sure the tough part is removed without having to cut 1/2 away.
    I grill, saute, roast with olive oil and garlic, or saute and add to eggs.
  • JPDad
    JPDad Posts: 147
    Options
    I really like the taste of grilled cedar planked asparagus. It actually works better if you get the cedar papers as you can roll them around 4-5 spears at once. Add a little EVOO and salt.
  • BrnIdGirl
    BrnIdGirl Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    However I cook them, I always use a potato peeler on the bottom 1/2 of each to make sure the tough part is removed without having to cut 1/2 away.

I never thought of doing that...learn something new everyday. :bigsmile:
  • TheDrBuchanan
    TheDrBuchanan Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    My favorite vegetable!!

Cut off the bottoms, about 1" or so (so that the new bottom is nice and green)
    Toss with olive oil, salt, pepper.
    Broil 5-8 min.
    Sprinkle with blue cheese and pine nuts.