confused and need help

Options
Ok I started my journey in Dec. I have been doing good I think. I keep going back and forth from 12 pounds to 10 pounds lost. I dont know if I need to change my workouts or my eating. I typically do and 30 min. elipitcal program and the 30 day shred dvd. I workout 5-6 days a week and always stay within my calories. How do I get over this slump!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am trying to burn at least 800 calories a day. :ohwell: :ohwell: :embarassed:

Replies

• amccarville
    amccarville Posts: 185
    Options
    Ok I started my journey in Dec. I have been doing good I think. I keep going back and forth from 12 pounds to 10 pounds lost. I dont know if I need to change my workouts or my eating. I typically do and 30 min. elipitcal program and the 30 day shred dvd. I workout 5-6 days a week and always stay within my calories. How do I get over this slump!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am trying to burn at least 800 calories a day. :ohwell: :ohwell: :embarassed:
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    how long have you been stuck for? This happens to us all, especially as we get closer to our goal weight. You really have to keep pushing. And eat those exercise cals! 800 cals burned a day requires a lot of fuel! :flowerforyou: Best of luck!
  • star139
    star139 Posts: 134
    Options
    you need to change up your workouts! my best friend is a personal trainer, and she said if your body gets too used to what you're doing, it's like you're going through the motions without really pushing yourself. try doing intervals, whether it's on the treadmill, elliptical, or stationary bike. intervals will give your body a big push, and hopefully get you through this. :happy:
  • awestfall
    awestfall Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean by going up and down.I have been going from 32 to 34 pounds lost for the past week now but I know it will break soon .Just keep doing what your doing and maybe up your intensity on the elliptical program.I workout on my elliptical everyday and I always switch the programs on there or I try to stay on longer than normal.Play around with it and see what helps you break your slump.:flowerforyou:
  • thejarviclan
    thejarviclan Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Are you eating all those exercise calories, too?

Just for comparatives - I typically burn an average of 4000 calories a week (400-800 a day, 7 days a week) between an AMT trainer at level 5 to 7 (similar to an elliptical), a recumbant bike (level 10) and strength training. I'm eating 1200-1400 calories a day. I've lost 14.5 pounds since January 9th, I'm 45 years old and started at a weight of 138 pounds.

It could be that you just don't have much left to lose. ? But if it was me, I'd mix things up in the gym and cut out some of the exercise calories (if you're eating those.)
  • expressbug
    expressbug Posts: 100
    Options
    If you are not losing you may not be eating enough throw in an extra 100-150 calories for a couple days.

or

You could be over estimating the amount of calories you are burning doing your exercises and eating to much.

Just depends how much your eating. Also you could try adding an extra 10-15 mins to your ellyptical workout or switching to one of the preprogramming programs that is differant then the one you are doing.
  • MisoSoup79
    MisoSoup79 Posts: 517
    Options

My impression is that you need to eat more. Are you eating all your exercise calories? If you started out kind of sedentary before December and now you're regularly working out, you'll need more fuel. I hit a standstill after my firs 3 weeks and found I wasn't eating enough - and I already was eating my exercise cals. I had my baseline set at 1200 but that is not enough. Now I eat 1400 + exercise cals (accurate based on my HRM) and have been losing steadily since that 3 week standstill.

But you also may need to mix things up if you have gotten too comfortable with your workout routines. Try something new and intense.