Prednisone & Belly Fat

Options
2»

Replies

• SDRob67
    SDRob67 Posts: 1
    Options
    I've been off and on with prednisone. This time I drink water to take my meds and I feel full. I am also taking cyclophosphamide. I was told in the begging that I had RA, now they say I have Churgh Strauss syndrome with Vasculitis. My Dr (the fourth one) Says If I don't keep the vasculitis under control I'll die. I tapper my amount of prednisone myself and I don't feel a difference if I take it or not, I am down from 60 mgms in the begging to now 20 mgms a day. I hate prednisone. I will try the tea and drink lots of water to see what happens, meanwhile if anyone has any advice, I'm all ears, Thanks.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    I don't know anybody who successfully lost weight and got in shape while on steroids. Steroids suck.

They do suck but yes it is possible. I was on a very high daily dose of prednisone when I started and for the first 8 months of my weight loss. It meant I had to carefully monitor my intake and deal with some water retention due to the prednisone. It does have a side effect of increased appetite which logging and just realizing that I didn't need more food helped me deal with. Finding my sweet spot for losing required constant monitoring and tweaking but yes it is possible.

Now that I don't require the daily dose and have only been needed it twice for 7 days each in the past almost year, it does make it easier.

It's not easy but it is possible.
  • gemflic29
    Options
    I am a severe brittle asthmatic and am on high doses of prednisalone (40mg) monthly. I lost 3 stone after having my daughter and in 5 years i have gained just over 5 stone. I am repulsed by the way steroids have msde me look, so much so it has turned me into a recluse. Due to the severity of my asthma excersising is very hard for me as i am left short of breath doing the gentlest of exercises. I do not know what i can do to get this horrid look gone, the moon fat face, the beer belly look, it is dreadful, even my long term partner left me because of it. Any advice would be greatfully received :) x
  • t1313rock
    Options
    gemflic29 wrote: »
    I am a severe brittle asthmatic and am on high doses of prednisalone (40mg) monthly. I lost 3 stone after having my daughter and in 5 years i have gained just over 5 stone. I am repulsed by the way steroids have msde me look, so much so it has turned me into a recluse. Due to the severity of my asthma excersising is very hard for me as i am left short of breath doing the gentlest of exercises. I do not know what i can do to get this horrid look gone, the moon fat face, the beer belly look, it is dreadful, even my long term partner left me because of it. Any advice would be greatfully received :) x

I will tell u with my asthma being almost as brittle, I started looking into natural remedies to asthma. I found one that works for me very well and keeps my attacks at bay. Its clear lungs by ridgecrest herbals but I don't want to advertise for them. You can do your own research as I'm sure that there are other products like it. May god bless u and the health of you and your family.
  • StanW_19
    StanW_19 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been taking Prednisone for about 6 years for Multiple Myeloma. Starting at 150mg/wk. Now down to 15mg/wk. I've climbed Mt. Kilimanjaro, lost 12 lbs but, still had a belly. Just trekked to Everest Base Camp. Lost 5-7 pounds. Still have a belly. It's become quite annoying