Which kind of milk?

2»

Replies

• Wow I drink 2%...but after reading the calories and all...I'm switching Sunday...beause i still have to finish the one I have.
    I'm also gonna try the almond milk.
  • Micheller1210
    Micheller1210 Posts: 460 Member
    I prefer whole milk, I have to watch my sugar intakes and skim use fillers.... I would prefer to get my milk from a farmer (raw)
    I have a hard time getting my calories and that helps me keep track easier and a quick snack
  • StrongGwen
    StrongGwen Posts: 378 Member
    I mix up a 2-gal bottle at a time with 1/2 fat free skim cow's milk and 1/2 organic unsweetened soy milk to get the protein benefits of both types. Use it on my Kashi cereal nearly every morning for breakfast.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    I love unsweetened almond milk. For some reason the taste appeals to me much more than that of normal milk, and it's also lower in sugar and higher in vitamins- half the calories as well :D

Agree. This is what I was going to say but Shovav said it well. I love both the vanilla & the chocolate unsweetened almond milk :)
  • kalepowered
    kalepowered Posts: 76 Member
    When I still consumed dairy, the only kind of cow's milk I could stomach was skim, everything else made we want to vomit. I've been an unsweetened soy milk drinker for the better part of a few years, but I'm working on switching myself over the unsweetened almond milk - have enough soy in my diet, plus almond milk is less calories and comparable nutrients (I get fortified non-dairy milks, always).
  • firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    I think 1% is the best. You get all the nutritional value with little fat. If you do skimmed, you don't get all the nutritional value. If you do whole fat, well, it's whole fat.

What nutritional value do you not get from skim milk? Besides more protein and less calories & sugars there isn't any difference in the amount calcium or vitamins in either. Not sure I understand your reasoning.

Well there are fat soluble vitamins which you just won't absorb from skim milk (I suppose if you made sure to have fat with it anyway it might work? Not sure). Vitamins A and D, for instance, which milk is fortified with, are completely useless w/o some fat.
  • Milk is one of the bigger issues in home (also live with my folks). My body doesn't do so well with milk. I'd like to think that it means I'm lactose intolerant, but whatever. Whole milk does the most damage. Skim and 2% tend to taste sort of watered down. I was told not to drink soy for some odd reason--If anyone could guesstimate it, please let me know... and lactaid is just suuuuuper sweet. Like insanely sweet milk. That being said, almond milk fit perfectly! I miss the taste of while milk though.. just not the calories.
  • LilMissFoodie
    LilMissFoodie Posts: 612 Member
    I think 1% is the best. You get all the nutritional value with little fat. If you do skimmed, you don't get all the nutritional value. If you do whole fat, well, it's whole fat.

What nutritional value do you not get from skim milk? Besides more protein and less calories & sugars there isn't any difference in the amount calcium or vitamins in either. Not sure I understand your reasoning.

Well there are fat soluble vitamins which you just won't absorb from skim milk (I suppose if you made sure to have fat with it anyway it might work? Not sure). Vitamins A and D, for instance, which milk is fortified with, are completely useless w/o some fat.

The fat soluble vitamins will also be present in much lower quantities - they need to fat to actually be stored in the food as well. Vitamin A is naturally occuring in higher fat milks, but vitamin D is added in some countries.

Most people don't need to worry too much about getting the correct amount of vitamin A though. I would go with skim if you can bear the taste or semi skim is a good choice too. Nutritionally, I think milk is amazing and substitute 'milks' don't even come close.
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    We use full-fat milk at home and at work they have semi-skimmed (Croydon) and 1% in Birmingham.

Personally, I don't drink or use a lot of milk (only in cereals or sometimes for cooking) but not all dairy fat is bad for you, in fact there have been a number of studies* that show that dairy fat can actually aid in weightloss because it binds with other non-dairy fats in your diet and helps get rid of them (yes we're talking poop again folks :laugh:)

So if you do drink milk I'd probably suggest semi-skimmed as it's lower in fat (and thus calories). But with everything, it's personal choice. What do you like the taste of best? :drinker: There's no use drinking skimmed milk or milk substitutes in the vague belief that they are healthier options if indeed you do not enjoy the taste of them. :noway:

*http://www.nature.com/oby/journal/v12/n4/full/oby200467a.html
  • stayxtrue
    stayxtrue Posts: 1,186 Member
    I honestly think you should use natural milk, as this is the best you are going to get, the rest of it is processed to get to where it is at, so I would say to go for fresh mil straight from the cow... something I am looking to do considering there is a farm near by where I can go and get it :) plus its way cheaper!
  • We use full-fat milk at home and at work they have semi-skimmed (Croydon) and 1% in Birmingham.

Personally, I don't drink or use a lot of milk (only in cereals or sometimes for cooking) but not all dairy fat is bad for you, in fact there have been a number of studies* that show that dairy fat can actually aid in weightloss because it binds with other non-dairy fats in your diet and helps get rid of them (yes we're talking poop again folks :laugh:)

So if you do drink milk I'd probably suggest semi-skimmed as it's lower in fat (and thus calories). But with everything, it's personal choice. What do you like the taste of best? :drinker: There's no use drinking skimmed milk or milk substitutes in the vague belief that they are healthier options if indeed you do not enjoy the taste of them. :noway:

*http://www.nature.com/oby/journal/v12/n4/full/oby200467a.html
    I enjoy all cows milk, and I can stomach rice milk but I do NOT enjoy it!! I've never tried almond, soy, or coconut milk, but several lactose intolerant people I know do not drink milk at all because they were completely put off by soy milk, which none of them like. This makes me a bit hesitant to try it!!
    All of cows milk I find is not that different in taste, just that some are not as thick and creamy as others, and this does not bother me at all. Recently I've been drinking semi-skimmed anyway ^_^
    But I'm thinking of switching to skim or 1% ;)
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Just drink whatever you like the taste of that fits into your cal/macro goals :smile:

I personally just use UHT skim powdered milk because I prefer to buy in bulk. I pretty much just use it for mixing with shakes & protein sludges & stuff so the taste isn't really an issue for me.
  • jschuett12
    jschuett12 Posts: 15 Member
    For health reasons I drink organic whole milk- it helps with my PCOS with regulating my hormones. When they 'skim' off the fat to make lesser fat milk, they take a lot of the good fats with it and my body needs those to function properly. I also like almond milk. I am allergic to soy so that's out but almond milk is super yummy! I don't drink much milk, choosing to get my dairy/calcium from greek yogurt or cheeses.
  • bouquet77
    bouquet77 Posts: 39 Member
    I recently discovered that I am allergic to something in the process of mil in the UK. so have swapped to Soya its different but its also quite creamy. I do love the sweetened one on my breakfast it is sweetened with apple juice but you cant taste it.

Also gonna have a look for vanilla almond milk anyone know where you can get some in the Uk?
  • deedster_a
    deedster_a Posts: 91 Member
    If you are drinking lots of milk, it may be the sodium that is slowing your weight loss. One cup of milk has 125mg of sodium, so 8 cups a day are 1000mg out of a recommended 2300mg a day.