Feeling like I'm going nowhere

Options
I'm really struggling with my eating. I constantly go in the fridge and close it or the pantry. I feel hungry all the time when I'm at home versus when I have to go to work. I have to be able to do right whether I'm at home or at work. I just feel so stuck. Being a broke college student doesn't help. I just feel like giving up and I've barely even started.

Replies

• kfox15
    kfox15 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I totally understand where you are coming from. I definitely struggle with feeling hungry but here's what's been working for me.
    When I first started really watching my food I realized that because I was eating so many veggies my fat intake was only about 1/3 of what MFP recomended. To fix this I added back good fats like almond butter, avocados etc and that really helped me feel full and satisfied. Since I also struggle with in the moment self control I just don't by anything that's not clean. When I am at the grocery store, I evaulate every choice I make. This make shopping painstakingly slow but worth it in the end. This way, if I do end up heading to the fridge, I have no options but healthy ones and the hit on my calorie goal is less.
    Where I still struggle is when people make choices for me like at a dinner party or at social events when I feel singled out by not eating what eveyone else is.
  • kikix5
    kikix5 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Don't give up! you have started and that's what is important! Like TaylorDaniele, I try not to buy junk food , but like yesterday, I was having a bad day, I ate a bowl of fruity pebbles (the only kind my daughter will eat) and I was so mad at myself after I ate it.. But told myself Tomorrow is a new day and I will push forward.

Just make sure you have good snacks at home and that temptation will be gone :)
  • JadeRabbit08
    JadeRabbit08 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I totally understand where you are coming from. I definitely struggle with feeling hungry but here's what's been working for me.
    When I first started really watching my food I realized that because I was eating so many veggies my fat intake was only about 1/3 of what MFP recomended. To fix this I added back good fats like almond butter, avocados etc and that really helped me feel full and satisfied. Since I also struggle with in the moment self control I just don't by anything that's not clean. When I am at the grocery store, I evaulate every choice I make. This make shopping painstakingly slow but worth it in the end. This way, if I do end up heading to the fridge, I have no options but healthy ones and the hit on my calorie goal is less.
    Where I still struggle is when people make choices for me like at a dinner party or at social events when I feel singled out by not eating what eveyone else is.

^this

I started 6 days ago and thats pretty well what i have been doing. Going too low under your fat ratio means your going to be hungry. Just make sure the fat you do eat is from healthy sources. I havent had a problem with hunger and I was a binge eater. Just waiting for my first weigh in to see if what I am doing equates to a weight loss.
  • msjones2831
    msjones2831 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing. I do much better during the week when I'm busy vs when I'm home on the weekend. One key is to only have healthy snacking options. You can eat a ton of apples or celery and still do ok calorically. The other thing is to keep busy even when you are home. Dance around your apartment, clean, do laundry---all those things keep you moving.
  • arlyn70
    arlyn70 Posts: 55
    Options
    i understand u what help is to drink a lot of water.. and eat vegetable... or any fruit

dont give up..
  • LisaWixom
    LisaWixom Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    For me eating Protein filled snacks really helps. A handful of nuts, a protein bar, a bagel thin with peanut butter or eggs (scrambled whites or hard boiled). ALSO, I always eat a good breakfast. Breakfast is so important when starting to lose weight. I hear you about being broke. For years that was my excuse as to why I couldn't lose weight. I finally made it a priority to buy the healthy stuff and its helping. Sometimes you have to forgo other luxuries for a short time to reach your long term goal. It will be soo worth it in the end though :) Good Luck! Stick with it! You can do it!
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    Don't give up! All good things come to those who have patience. Hardwork and dedication will get you to your goal!

Keep busy!! Both your body and mind.

I find when I sit around the house doing nothing I get really 'hungry' too...mostly out of boredom. So, when I get these urges I drink down a glass of water. Sometimes we are just thirsty not hungry... I sometimes do some push-ups, go for a walk, or jump on the bike to keep myself from eating...

If it gets really bad and I am really hungry then I snack on carrots!
  • ncates00
    Options
    Plan your meals ahead of time. Measure your food and stick to it. Try to shoot for five meals throughout the day of about the same caloric amount. That keeps your metabolism up instead of having two or three meals of high calories. For me, I have 2,600 calories to use every day as determined by my Insanity diet plan. That gives me four 500 calorie meals and one 600 calorie meal. I space out my five meals to every three hours. This keeps me satisfied all day and prevents overeating when you plan and measure out your meals ahead of time.
  • MummyOfSeven
    MummyOfSeven Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Took a sneaky peek at your diary and saw that your calorie goal is only 1,200/day. Have you tried upping it by a couple of hundred? 1,200 really isn't that much :smile:
  • Goingnuts2
    Goingnuts2 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    The weekends are soooo hard! The last two weekends I have really stayed on track by game planning what to eat in the morning and being accountable by writing it all down. Weigh in for me is on Monday so that my incentive. Plan for a favorite snack of yours to enjoy (i love choc. covered pretzels!! - and yes, i do count out all 8 of them ;)

As the above noted posts say "drink your water and keep busy". Get out of the house and go for a walk or my favorite past time, Shopping!!!
  • BenderFitness
    Options
    I agree with the other posters. Make sure you are getting enough fiber, protein and healthy fats. These three things are the key to feeling full. Also, I can't cut out carbs without feeling ravenously hungry. I eat bagel thins and sandwhich thins, as well as other healthy whole grain carbs through the day. :)
  • thenewme5351
    Options
    I also have 1200 calories a day. That is what MFP suggested. There are days when I am satisfied and others where I feel like you. I just can't get enough. Stick with it the best you can. Just like everyone else is saying get your healthy fats and stay hydrated. It really does help. From my experience don't feel guilty if you go over your calories. Just remember tomorrow is a new day!