What do you add to your smoothies?

Options

Replies

• shlottelac
    shlottelac Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I love spinac but why do you put it into a smootie??? :huh: When you can add anything else... even carrots! Or cereals... ?
  • scarletleavy
    scarletleavy Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    Some of my favorite add-ins: raw egg yolk, dates, chia seeds, hemp seeds, frozen banana, avocado, fresh vanilla bean, pureed pumpkin, almond extract. Obviously not all together.
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Every day for breakfast I have a protein shake. I use 1 cup unsweetened almond milk, 1 scoop protein powder, 1-2 Tbs peanut butter and ice. If I have spinach in the house, I add a couple of handfuls. Sometimes I will also add 1/2 cup frozen blueberries. Spinach is so good for you and I rather drink it than eat it. You really can't taste it, especially if there's fruit in it or other flavorings. I sometimes add peppermint extract or instant coffee or cocoa powder. It's all good!
  • chicky89
    chicky89 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Spinach!!!!!! Yogurt!!!
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    I always put in egg white and carrots... Sneak it in there with the berries and banana and you don't even taste it! :)

Also, Aloe vera juice too because it is really good for you.
  • jonski1968
    jonski1968 Posts: 4,498 Member
    Options
    My favourites...

Vanilla Flax Meal Protein Shake
    1 – 2 scoops Vanilla protein
    2 Tbsp. flax meal
    1 cup water
    4 ice cubes

Pina Colada Protein Shake
    1 – 2 scoops Vanilla protein
    1/2 cup fresh or frozen pineapple
    1/4 tsp coconut extract
    1 packet non-calorie sweetener
    1 cup organic skim milk
    4 ice cubes

Cinnamon Bun Protein Shake
    1 – 2 scoops chocolate protein
    1 tbsp sugar free instant vanilla pudding (optional)
    1/4 tsp vanilla extract
    1/4 tsp cinnamon
    1/4 tsp nutmeg
    1 packet non-calorie sweetener
    1 cup organic skim milk
    4 ice cubes
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Just FYI, dogs love egg yolks. It's good for their coat and provides them with much-needed proteins and nutrients not found in common dog food. If you're going to go egg-white with whole eggs, feed the yolk to your dogs instead of throwing it away.
  • RemDogzMa
    RemDogzMa Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I love spinac but why do you put it into a smootie??? :huh: When you can add anything else... even carrots! Or cereals... ?

I can't answer for anyone but myself why I add spinach. I add it to effortlessly get more greens, vitamins and plant based protein in my diet. Also it helps balance out the fruit sugars and keeps my blood sugar from spiking. It is true. You can't taste it. I always add a half of banana and that always covers any spinach flavor.

Unfortunately, the banana can't fix the green color. :wink:
  • itsgood
    itsgood Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Hadn't thought of this, egg yolks for the dogs...thanks for the heads-up!
  • getfitdiva
    getfitdiva Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    protein powder
    agave nectar or honey
    celery
    spinach
    kale
    cucumber
    zucchini
    carrots
    almond milk
    low-fat vanilla yogurt
    PB2 (powdered peanut butter)
    w/ mixed fruit or 2 pieces of fruit like banana and strawberries and/or blueberries
    tried flaxseed before too gritty . . . maybe some flax oil will be better
  • ThinningDownChick
    ThinningDownChick Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I usually do 1 cup of frozen fruit; 1/3 bag baby spinach leaves; 1/4 frozen peeled avocado, 1 tbs. flax meal; 1 cup almond milk; 1 cup water... blend!!!
  • keesh1123
    keesh1123 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt, flax seed, protein powder, and spinach. I add all that to my standard fruit smoothie (frozen banana, pineapple, mango, a little honey and a mandarin orange). 300 calories, 27 grams of protein, 19% calcium RDA, 91% vitamin C RDA, 12% iron RDA, and 5 grams of fiber. :)

Sounds so yummy!
  • keesh1123
    keesh1123 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to get into making homemade smoothies as well....

What "type" of protein powder are you all using?

Is it flavored or do they have some out there that's not flavored? I have some vanilla flavored, but I just keep thinking that it will throw the taste off if I'm not aiming for a vanilla flavored smoothie...
  • jvorrei
    jvorrei Posts: 13
    Options
    tried flaxseed before too gritty . . . maybe some flax oil will be better

I use flaxseed oil sometimes. I haven't noticed a flavor, and there's obviously no grit, so it's worth a try. That being said, you DO lose some of the benefits of flaxseed -- no fiber, obviously. And a serving of flaxseed oil is pretty loaded with calories (over 100 -- 140, maybe?). I think I've decided to use it every other day, or on days I know I won't hit my calorie limit.
  • Reka2011
    Reka2011 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    bump
  • CannibalisticVegetarian
    Options
    Oooh I have a bunch of uneaten spinach at home. Now I know what to do with it! Thanks guys!

As for mines, I toss in flax seed, rolled oats, frozen berried (or a banana), peanut butter (depending on the kind of smoothie I'm making), almond milk, and/ or greek plain yogurt.
  • rpantusa
    rpantusa Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    almost every morning for breakfast I have a smoothie with: 1 cup unsweetned almond milk, 1 banana, 1tbs drk chocolate almond butter, 2 hanfuls of spinach, and ice cubes, blend and YUM, It is so good!
  • gingerb85
    gingerb85 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I add flax seeds and spinach. My favorite is a "Green Pina Colada."

1 cup coconut milk
    2 tbsp shredded coconut (because I used the Silk coconut milk, not the coconut milk out of a can and it didn't taste coconutty enough)
    1 cup frozen pineapple chunks
    1 banana, cut into chunks and frozen
    1 tbsp flax seed
    3 packed cups raw baby spinach

Yum!
  • Emilia6909
    Emilia6909 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I grind my golden flaxseeds and keep refrigerated. A couple of heaped teaspoons in my smoothies does the trick. On occasions I also add Spirulina powder. Spirulina contains about 60% (51–71%) protein. :)

Mango, mint,banana Smoothie

Apple, Spinach, Cucumber, Coriander, Parsley & Celery Juice

:smile:
  • Jambe
    Jambe Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I like to drink 2 of these a day :)

Sometimes I will snack on peanuts instead of adding peanut butter to a shake.

Cytosport Whey Protein Mix ( 2 scoops )
    16 oz Unsweetened Almond Milk ( 2 servings )
    1/2 cup Stater Bros Fiber Advantage cereal also known as All-Bran twig thingies ( 1 servings )
    2 scoops of Smooth Natural Peanut butter ( the kind that only says PEANUTS on the ingredients and you have to mix it yourself )

620 Calories
    19 Net Carbs
    65 Protein
    13 Good Fat
    16g Fiber