Dizziness upon standing (food recommendation)

If I sit for a while and stand, it feels like my world is getting dark. It's a symptom that has persisted for much of my life. Anything that involves sitting or squatting for a prolonged period followed by a standing movement will result in such dizziness.

I am sure some of you experience it too and it could be perfectly normal, but I do not feel normal when it happens on a regular basis. What could be the underlying reason behind it and if there's any food/nutritional-related advices, please advice accordingly.

Thanks.

Replies

• Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    I have this too so I am interested in input that people have!
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    What is your blood pressure like? I have low blood pressure. It is the direct cause of this symptom for me.

If you DO have low blood pressure, eat a medium salt diet and drink 64 oz of water and see how that is. Your level or water intake and salt intake should balance each other. Too little salt = dizzy, too much water = dizzy.

If you don't have low blood pressure - not sure what the problem is. Something to bring up to your doctor at any rate, dizzy is never fun!
  • How's your blood pressure? Could it be low?
  • leenites
    leenites Posts: 166 Member
    What is a low blood pressure? I think mine is normal according to doctor. No 120/80 for me but both numbers are lower than the generic blood pressure number.

What about blood sugar? Any impact from it?
  • cloveraz
    cloveraz Posts: 332 Member
    I never experienced this problem until they put me blood pressure medicine last week, even after loosing 40lbs....I passed out in the shower twice, once after working out....ER Doc said that my regular doc put me on a way to high dose for starting out. So, now I'm only taking half a pill....Instead of having high blood pressure, my blood pressure was getting dangerously too low after working out....He also, said I was dehydrated...So, after a trip to the ER, via the stupid ambulance, I think my body is finally adjusting....I was able to work out this evening, albeit, less intense, but still...He wants me to drink Gatorade for a little while after I work out, says just water isn't cutting it....He said that also, water temp affects this too, so I'm worried about hopping in the lap pool and having this occur, but I'm gonna try it out tomorrow and hope for the best!....It definitely, won't be a marathon swim for me....
  • Bonita_Lynne_58
    Bonita_Lynne_58 Posts: 2,794 Member
    I'm not giving medical advice. I'm not qualified. Sometimes people with otherwise normal blood pressure will have a sudden drop in pressure upon standing (this can happen if you've been sitting or laying down). This is not the place to go for medical advice..You really need to talk to your doctor about this.

Blood sugar could also be an issue...again talk to your doctor. Please!
  • How is your blood pressure? Usually that means you are dehydrated. I would get that checked out by your physician before you take any other advice, because bloodwork could definitely turn up a deficiency of some kind that is to blame. I get the occasional freebee as well. It happens when you squat, because while you are squatting the blood from your legs cannot return to your heart and when you stand you get a big surge of blood movement both in and out. Your heart will speed up to compensate for a moment and you get kinda dizzy. If it happens a lot tho, thats not a good thing.
  • Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    My blood pressure is usually around 107/75 or so. I have that happen when I get up a lot in the morning and I hate it!
  • cloveraz
    But, yeah, make a trip to see your doc!....
  • Bonita_Lynne_58
    Bonita_Lynne_58 Posts: 2,794 Member
    My blood pressure is usually around 107/75 or so. I have that happen when I get up a lot in the morning and I hate it!

One thing to try is to sit up on the edge of your bed with your legs dangling off the side for at least 2-3 minutes before you stand up. If this doesn't you might want to get it checked out. Your BP is anything but high so it won't take much of a drop for you to feel dizzy.
  • sarah44254
    Just had my BP taken today, it was 109 / 69 so it is just a little low. It never got low enough to require meds, but my doctor did mention that most of my dizziness comes from the low BP.

The other cause (mentioned by someone above) was dehydration. Although I was drinking 6-8 cups of water a day, it was not enough for my activity level. Drinking more water and eating a moderate amount of salt each day has helped me avoid excessive blackout feelings. I haven't FAINTED in years, but I do get the dizzy spells and blackout feelings at least once a day.
  • luvmydog2
    luvmydog2 Posts: 243 Member
    Sounds like low blood pressure ...my son has the same problem...and is thin as a rake lol ...I have high and on b/p meds but my doctor keeps eye on me , have to check in every 3 weeks ...He also told me never go under 1200 calories a day as this can cause same symptoms ...hope this helped ...my b/p has been stable fo a long time now . Should see doctor if havnt already done so ...
  • sarah44254
    Though it does not sound like an immediate need, please talk to your doctor about this the next time you visit him / her. :smile: They will be able to explain it more clearly and let you know how to handle it the best way for you.
  • leenites
    leenites Posts: 166 Member
    oh boy, i honestly dont know my blood pressure but every time I check, doc said they are normal. That's why I thought it could have something to do with blood sugar.

In any case, before we can proceed any further, I have to get checked out for blood pressure?
  • cloveraz
    oh boy, i honestly dont know my blood pressure but every time I check, doc said they are normal. That's why I thought it could have something to do with blood sugar.

In any case, before we can proceed any further, I have to get checked out for blood pressure?

Hope you feel better!
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    If you haven't already done so, you should see a doctor and have your blood pressure checked. It could be either high, or more likely, low blood pressure. Of course, I'm just throwing that out and have no way of knowing and I'm not a medical person. It could even be neurological. But it's certainly not normal.

That happens to most people from time to time but not all the time and certainly not to the point of feeling things go black. I doubt it's dietary.

But, like all the posts here, this is just my own opinion and may or may not be worth anything. I do hope you find relief from it. Having had that a few times in my life, I know how awful it is and how scary it is.
  • goldfinger88

I suggest you get the blood pressure checked and have a complete blood count and blood workup done at the very least. Get checked for diabetes also. A fasting CBC is the first step in that and will tell a whole lot about what's going on.
  • goldfinger88
    Just had my BP taken today, it was 109 / 69 so it is just a little low. It never got low enough to require meds, but my doctor did mention that most of my dizziness comes from the low BP.

The other cause (mentioned by someone above) was dehydration. Although I was drinking 6-8 cups of water a day, it was not enough for my activity level. Drinking more water and eating a moderate amount of salt each day has helped me avoid excessive blackout feelings. I haven't FAINTED in years, but I do get the dizzy spells and blackout feelings at least once a day.

109/69 is not considered low. It's low-normal. I take BP meds and my BP is in that range for the most part. In fact, I'm going to see my doctor about taking me off the med because I'm doing some things on my own that's bringing it down. So I don't think I need the meds anymore. But if that's what it checks at the doctor, it could be lower when you're at rest if you're like most people. So certainly low bp is something to think about. On the other hand, you can't tell much from a one-time reading.
  • stephabef
    stephabef Posts: 936 Member
    Dizziness (and other neurological issues) was part of the primary set of symptoms that caused my doc to diagnose me with Celiac. Most people associate Celiac with GI issues, but it's an autoimmune, so it affects multiple systems.

Most likely, this isn't something you have, but do you see how a single symptom like that could be the result of a vast number of deficiencies/bodily problems? Definitely go see your doctor.
  • Starla_
    Starla_ Posts: 349
    I have low blood pressure and low blood sugar and I am also gluten intolerant and I get dizzy quite often.

If the dizziness lasts more than a couple of seconds I go have some honey or a piece of fruit (or even a full meal depending in how long ago I ate a meal)... apart from that I just live with it. Fully checked by a doc and there was nothing really to be done about it. When my hands start to get shaky and I get the headaches I know I really have to eat something and go lay down for 5 mins, sometimes the humidity where I live can cause it too. I used to black out a lot but now I know how to manage it so it hasnt happened in a while.

Definitely go see a doc, even if there is nothing really to be done apart from knowing the triggers and managing it, at least you know its nothing more.