Not getting enough fat in diet?

Hi this is my first week on mfp and I've noticed that most days I'm eating about half the daily allowance of fat. Is this a good or a bad thing?

Replies

• BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    MFP gives you a maximum for fat, so it's a good thing! Generally lower fat foods have fewer calories. However, some fats are essential in your diet for the transport of vitamins and a healthy heart and skin etc. Make sure you get enough healthy fats in your diet - think avocados, olive oil and oily fish. But don't sweat it too much!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    I'd love to know how you manage that, I'm always way over!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Fat should be minimum .35g/lb of bw. Don't worry too much about maximum, if you stick to cal targets it will all work out.
  • Werglum
    Werglum Posts: 378 Member
    I'm glad you've asked this question as I was meaning to ask the same thing!
  • JadeRabbit08
    JadeRabbit08 Posts: 551 Member
    Fat is good for you. Well the right kind of fat is. Try and get some of your fat from seeds and nuts that contain omega 3 fats and fish. If your fat intake is very low but you are meeting your calorie target you may struggle with hunger and cravings, so I think having a targeted amount of healthy fat will keep you on track and make it less likely you will cheat.

Disclaimer: I have no qualifications I am at the begining of trying to lose weight I just read stuff. :)
  • i keep my diet strict and low in fat
  • hongruss
    hongruss Posts: 389 Member
    GOOD Fat helps to lower cholesterol & build muscle, whilst filling you up quicker & longer, you should try to eat seeds, nuts, eggs, oily fish, etc.

Russ