unfair gain!

i have had to had some IV infusions this week in hospital - about a pint... The next day i got on the scale (despite eating UNDER calorie goal each day and had gained!!! then i found this:

"how much does a pint of blood weigh????

To be more precise, blood has a density of 1060 grams per liter. Using standard conversion factors,

1 gallon ≈ 3.78 liters.
1 pint ≈ 3.78/8 liters, or .4725 liters, so
.4725 * 1060 grams = 500.85 grams. or 0.50085 kg.

1kg=2.2 lbs, so 0.50085 * 2.2 ≈ 1.1 pounds.

SABOTAGED!!!

...the world around."

Replies

• auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Oh please.

If you've been in the hospital, the last consideration you should have is what the damn scale says.

Seriously, get in touch with your health and get back to that cynical scale later. Please take good care of yourself. That scale has no care about your well being, nor should you, it.
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Ok, several things:

If you were transfused blood, you were short on it in the first place, so you are only getting back what you are missing, not really "gaining".

A blood transfusion is not whole blood. It is just the red cell portion. Whole blood transfusions are really rare.

Were you given blood? People usually don't refer to this as an IV infusion. That usually means IV fluids. Getting IV fluids can make you retain fluid until you start flushing it out. I retained sooooo much fluid after my c-section due to the IV fluids I got. It took a couple days to get back to normal.

In any case, it did not cause any true weight gain. If you saw the scale go up, it was either fluid retention, or just normal fluctuations. And I would think any time you were in the hospital, is not the time to worry about the scale.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    I am so confused about why you felt the need to do all those conversions and calculations. A pint of water weighs a pound, so you can estimate that any pint of fluid weighs about a pound.

Anyway, if the number on the scale is ruling your life to the point that you can't cope with gaining a pound of fluid, maybe you need to take a step back.
  • Naughtybiscuit
    Naughtybiscuit Posts: 71 Member
    Am I the only one who smiled at this and thought the OP was being light-hearted?!