In search of calorie friendly biscuits and gravy

Options
Don't know if there is such a thing, but this is one of those things I dearly love. I would just like to find a more healthy altenative that would allow me to have this now and again.

Replies

• ashkas2
    ashkas2 Posts: 32
    Options
    lol. i don't think that's possible. making it with water instead of milk would help with the calories but i think it's just one of those things you hafta indulge in sparingly.
  • Suedre
    Suedre Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    hmmmm. Calorie friendly biscuits and gravy. Sounds impossible. :) I hope someone comes by with something good. If it was a treat I really loved, I wouldn't look for an alternative, I'd have it. Very infrequently and smaller portions, but have it none the less. Good luck!
  • BellydanceBliss
    Options
    hill country fare canned biscuits arent bad actually...Make your own gray with non fat milk and flour ad watch salt content add pepper. I also use lf buttermilk in my gravy which isnt bad and tastes good
  • econut2000
    econut2000 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    My opinion: just eat the biscuits and gravy you love so much!! Just don't have them 3x/week :wink: Make that your once a month treat to yourself (find out the calorie count and cut it to a reasonable, YET SATISFYING portion). If you go over your calories that day, so be it. If you know you're apt to go hog wild when you eat them, eat a few less calories the other days during the week (even saving 100 calories a day will allow you 600 calories that meal!) and of course get in a good workout that day. You will satisfy that craving - otherwise you're liable to just give up! Good luck :drinker:
  • noemike
    noemike Posts: 61
    Options
    you could try making it with water instead of milk then use turkey sausage instead of regular would lower the calorie for sure. I eat turkey sasuage alot the fat and calorie is alot lower for sure. I hope this helps. ( now I want some biscuts and gravy yum!!!)
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    sometimes we just have to decide if we want those bisquits and gravy enough to have to make adjustments elsewhere....either more exercise or less calories elsewhere or just say ...goin over and thats that.

I would rather eat real good pizza with all the calories then try and find a low cal pizza that tastes less than the real deal.
  • pixlamarque
    pixlamarque Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    My opinion: just eat the biscuits and gravy you love so much!! Just don't have them 3x/week :wink: Make that your once a month treat to yourself (find out the calorie count and cut it to a reasonable, YET SATISFYING portion). If you go over your calories that day, so be it. If you know you're apt to go hog wild when you eat them, eat a few less calories the other days during the week (even saving 100 calories a day will allow you 600 calories that meal!) and of course get in a good workout that day. You will satisfy that craving - otherwise you're liable to just give up! Good luck :drinker:
    sometimes we just have to decide if we want those bisquits and gravy enough to have to make adjustments elsewhere....either more exercise or less calories elsewhere or just say ...goin over and thats that.

I would rather eat real good pizza with all the calories then try and find a low cal pizza that tastes less than the real deal.

Agreed, especially with the leaving yourself a few extra calories each day to give yourself room to spare at the end of the week. When I know I am going to go to a special diner or make a nice dessert, I try to leave a few calories leading up to that day. That doesn't always happen, so if not , I either run/work out that day or just say, screw it, today is my no-logging day for the week. I choose a day a week not to worry about the calorie count, but even then I don't go crazy. I don't think you can truely make this a sustainable life change if you don't allow yourself some flexibility. Better to do it a little bit here and there than to be so strict that you end up bingeing on crap.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I haven't eaten sausage gravy and biscuits for quite a while (I don't know if you are talking about just plain gravy or sausage gravy), but when I have made it, I use the biscuits that are in the refrigerator section at the grocery store that are reduced fat. I buy reduced fat sausage and make the gravy from scratch with skim milk. They don't taste as good as those you can get at Hardees, but they also have a lot less calories and fat.
  • Kimmer2011
    Kimmer2011 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I agree with it being a treat or splurge, so enjoy!

That said, when I make biscuits & gravy (the family LOVES it), I frequently have a small portion of gravy (I use 2% milk) over a piece of toast. it's not the same, but it's ok.
  • 1953Judith
    1953Judith Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I'm of the don't mindlessly eat, but do eat what you want you a controlled way. About once a month, I make biscuits.

Here is a recipe that I use for biscuits. They taste wonderful, but they are between 135 and 150 calories each (less than a cookie). So I allow myself one when I am having stew or another slow-cooked meal.

1 cup flour (I use half whole wheat and half white)
    1Tbsp sugar (you can use splenda)
    1 1/2 tsp baking powder
    1/4 tsp baking soda
    3 1/3 tbsp unsalted butter
    1/2 to 3/4 cup of fat-free plain yogurt (recipe calls for 1/2 cup fat-free buttermilk, but I use my own homemade yogurt instead)

Preheat oven to 450 F. In medium bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and baking soda. Cut in unsalted butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in yogurt. Place on a lightly floured surface; knead 3-4 times and roll or pat to 1/2 to 3/4 inch thickness. Cut into six segments. Bake on an ungreased baking sheet for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.
  • Arista2
    Options
    For me it's more about the gravy than the biscuits. While I would rather have old fashioned homemade sausage gravy (yum) I have found the dry packages of gravy (found in the seasoning section of the grocery store) to fulfill all my needs. There are several product lines and everything to choose from ...chicken, turkey, pork, beef, mushroom and even white gravy, take your pic. As for the biscuits, I recently found miniature biscuits at Walmart (in the freezer section) which would help with portion control. As for me, as long as I have the gravy I'm good to go! I put it over my egg whites, or a slice of low cal toasted bread, etc. I hope this helps, good luck!
  • LyneLM
    LyneLM Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Cannot help with the biscuits but with the gravy, yes.

Extremely quick and easy, this is what I have been doing for years, for both white and brown sauces. The following serves 4 reasonable portions:

- heat you pot or pan (medium heat)
    - add 1 tbs olive oil
    - add 2 to 3 tablespoons of flour (depending on the texture you will want for your sauce), onion powder and pepper to taste, heat in the pot or pan, stirring with a whisk
    - gradually add 1 can (284 ml) of condensed broth (chicken or beef) (DO NOT add water), continually stirring with the whisk
    - add seasonings or herbs (for the white sauce ith the chicken broth, I love dill, basil or pesto; for the brown sauce with the beef broth, I like sage and marjoram).

The texture may need some fixing up to your taste. I sometimes go wild and add a bit of 10% cream.

Ready in less than 5 minutes.
  • rc630
    rc630 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Jimmy Dean makes sausage biscuits that are under 300 calories; My roommate likes them a lot (I don't eat sausage so I don't know if they're good or not) so maybe that's something to try
  • anneaz25
    Options
    http://www.pioneerbrand.com/style library/pages/Biscuitandbakingmixes/40ozLowfatbiscuitbakingmix.aspx
    Pioneer lowfat bisquit mix and then buy the gravy mix at the store you only add water to. Pretty lowfat and honestly very very good.
  • ddjc
    ddjc Posts: 1
    Options
    Here is a recipe I have tried and loved! It is from a Joanna Lund Cookbook.

Truck Stop Biscuits and Gravy

1 (7.5 ounce) Pillsbury buttermilk biscuits
    8 ounces ground beef (lean)
    1/4 tsp of black pepper, ground sage, garlic powder, and poultry seasoning
    2 1/2 cups skim milk
    1/4 cup flour
    1 (8 ounce) fat free cream cheese
    Bake biscuits according to package directions.
    In a large skilled sprayed with batter flavored cooking spray, brown the meat and add spices.
    In a covered jar combine the milk and flour. shake well. Pour milk mixture into the skillet with the browned meat. Add the cream cheese. continue cooking while stirring often. The mixture will thicken. When the cheese melts spoon over split biscuits.

Serves 5
    ( 2 biscuits and 3/4 cup gray)
    287 calories

Enjoy!
  • pokergal76
    Options
    I hadn't thought about using buttermilk.... That might be pretty good! Will have to give that a try!
  • pokergal76
    Options
    Will have to try the "Truck Stop" recipe. That sounds like a good alternative to full fat B & G. I don't want to "diet" once I drop the weight. So I need tools to maintain and not put it all back on like I have in the past. Thanks for the recipe. All the other ideas look great as well. Thanks for all the suggestions.
  • slayerdan
    slayerdan Posts: 193
    Options
    Just make normal and limit portion size.
  • pokergal76
    Options
    I am going to try these!
  • redsman
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions for bisquits and gravy which is [was] my favorite breakfast food.
    there are several I will try