skiing calories?

Options
I'm curious as to everyone's opinion for calories for skiing. The number of calories burned seems high to me - four hours of downhill skiing, light activity, supposedly burns 1960 calories. Is MFP only counting the time you actually spend going down the mountain and not chairlift activity? I'm not sure how to remove the chairlift activity from the total other than to time a few of my runs during the day, count the total number of my runs, and multiply, but that seems like more work than I'd like to do for what I consider my getaway activity.

I know I get super-hungry skiing, but 1960 calories still seems like a LOT.

Replies

• Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    You just have to guess how long you spend actually skiing and enter that. For "all day" boarding including lunch breaks and lifts (and lift lines), I guessed about 2 hours, and even then took off a 100 or so calories because MFP seems to estimate everything pretty high.
  • scarletleavy
    scarletleavy Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    For comparison's sake, I went skiing last weekend with my HRM and burned 1152 calories for the equivalent of 4 hours skiing, off-piste in deep powder.

You just have to guess how long you were actually skiing and even so, take the MFP amount with a grain of salt, it's most likely way over the actual amount.
  • kitkat4141
    kitkat4141 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I don't know about anyone else but I find it's harder to get into the chair lift line and make my way up to the chair than to ski. I'm a beginner skier and that took a lot of effort. Going down the slope was a breeze in comparison. (Also, traipsing around in ski boots was a workout as well!) My heart rate monitor was broken so I used the calories in MFP for "light effort". I ate back all of my exercise calories and after one week lost 2 pounds. This surprised me because I have reached my goal weight and am in maintenance.