Diet pills??

Options
I've experimented with a few diet pills here and there. None of them ever seemed to do much and ended up giving me other problems such as headaches and heart pain. A friend of mine recently told me about a new diet pill she bought for $80 that seems to be completely curbing her appetite. Makes me think about trying another one. How do you guys feel about diet pills?

Replies

• Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Waste of money. Only thing that gets lighter is your wallet.
  • missmelissavpk
    missmelissavpk Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I think they are great if your body reacts well to them (we are different). I firmly believe they are a great tool to use if you need a boost other than your work out, and I feel the only reason anyone ever "gains the weight back" after they are done with them is because they sink right back into their old, unhealthy eating patterns.
    I used Alli before I had my daughter and lost about 20 lbs. Now I am trying Slimquick Razor (just started on Tuesday) and have already lost 6 lbs! It's up to you what you do, but I would definitely compare the ingredient list to the ones that have ailed you in the past and consult a doctor so that you do not react badly to this new one you are considering.
    Let me know if you have any luck!
  • hselby87
    hselby87 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I use Hydroxycut Max for Women and I love them. I only take 1 instead of the recommeded 2 per day because all I feel I need is 1. So far, I feel that are helping boost my weight loss.

Some people hate them. For some people it does not work. I would recommend looking reading up on the product before you try it. It is absolutly not for everyone and you need to be careful when using them. Good luck!
  • hdlb123
    hdlb123 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Unless you change the things that caused you to gain weight in the first place, it won't make a difference in the end. Sure you might lose weight, but you might put it right back on. That said, if you are using it to boost weight loss along with deit and exercise, thats different. Personally I won't touch any of them, but thats just
    me.
  • kateroot
    kateroot Posts: 435
    Options
    Think about what you're asking here. If there was a diet pill that worked, do you think anyone would be fat?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    I've experimented with a few diet pills here and there. None of them ever seemed to do much and ended up giving me other problems such as headaches and heart pain. A friend of mine recently told me about a new diet pill she bought for $80 that seems to be completely curbing her appetite. Makes me think about trying another one. How do you guys feel about diet pills?
    Why would you try another one? It's obvious you haven't learned how to do it without it, so that would mean you'd be popping a pill THE REST OF YOUR LIFE to control your weight. Get strong. Learn how to do it right.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    The problem with diet pills is, if they work, then once you stop taking them you will have your same old appetite back. So then you will have to use willpower to keep from overeating. If you can do that, then you might as well just skip the diet pills and go with the willpower.
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    Might as well donate the money spent on pills to your favorite charity.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    No. Diet pills are pointless and have too many side effects.
    If you are not losing weight naturally despite your efforts to eat right and exercise regularly then seek medical advice.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    When you quit trying to find a shortcut like this, you will start to get real, lasting results.
  • ElizabethRoad
    Options
    Why would you try another one? It's obvious you haven't learned how to do it without it, so that would mean you'd be popping a pill THE REST OF YOUR LIFE to control your weight.
    And even that wouldn't work. You get used to it pretty fast, so you'd have to keep upping the dosage. Forever.
  • Dustinryan24
    Dustinryan24 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    diet pills are not a good idea..
    what does a diet pill really do? curb your appetite? ok, whats the point of that?
    why try and start something you cant do the rest of your life? just exercise regular, and eat healthy.
  • jb81185
    Options
    I am taking a diet pill called Adipex. It takes away my appetite but is does have a lot of side effects. Plus when you are forcing yourself to eat because the pill works so good, it makes it hard. I have lost quite a bit of weight on it by doing 1200 calories a day and now I'm starting to work out after a bad cold and some dental work that put me out of the game for a while.
    Diet pills give me that extra confidence that all my efforts at the gym and my eating habits are paying off. It is a "cheating" machanism though and I do support diet pills. You just need to make sure you don't expect the weight to magically fall off and you need to change your eatin habits and exercise. Good luck to you! Make the best decison you feel is right for you, everyone is different but you never know until you try!
  • ElizabethRoad
    Options
    I am taking a diet pill called Adipex. It takes away my appetite but is does have a lot of side effects. Plus when you are forcing yourself to eat because the pill works so good, it makes it hard. I have lost quite a bit of weight on it by doing 1200 calories a day and now I'm starting to work out after a bad cold and some dental work that put me out of the game for a while.
    Diet pills give me that extra confidence that all my efforts at the gym and my eating habits are paying off. It is a "cheating" machanism though and I do support diet pills. You just need to make sure you don't expect the weight to magically fall off and you need to change your eatin habits and exercise. Good luck to you! Make the best decison you feel is right for you, everyone is different but you never know until you try!
    No offense but how are you going to keep up your good habits once you stop taking the pill? You will find yourself incredibly hungry all of a sudden.
  • Aerohead21
    Aerohead21 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Let's not get snarky, everyone. It is unfair to say someone is weak or not doing well because they use diet pills. Everyone has the right to their own choices and if you feel the need to respond, leave the rudeness out.

That said, I have used diet pills and had success but then I got really sick. The diet pills didn't make me sick but I am sure they contributed. On top of that, they were a quick trick and took the thinking out of eating. When my father died I didn't have the tools to manage so I gained all my weight back. Now, I am back to dieting but this time without diet pills. I try very hard to make thoughtful decisions about eating and I have to say I am less hungry now then when I used the diet pills.

Ultimately, if you decide to go the route of pills be completely aware of the possible side effects and dangers. Also you may consider speaking to a medical professional. A doctor may have some pointers, suggestions, medicines, and they can help determine of there is something medically going on tha is prohibiting weight loss.

Lastly, keep in mind there is only one over the counter diet pill approved by the FDA - Alli.

My suggestion is to keep your body healthy. Try not to use a pill.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    If you spend so much money on your diet pills that you can't afford food you'll lose weight.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    And to all the people bashing the OP because she wants a pill that works, if they really worked we'd all be taking them. Let's not kid ourselves. I'm just waiting for that exercise in a pill drug to come out and I'll be all set.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Spend the money elsewhere. If I had that much income to use on something like a diet pill, I'd be able to go to a better gym and hire a badass PT. Stop the shenanigans.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Think about what you're asking here. If there was a diet pill that worked, do you think anyone would be fat?

it is amazing isnt it? if a pill existed would it be a secret? everyone would be raging about it all day every day on the news in the paper...

most diet pills are caffeine

learn to love good fresh ground coffee...its cheaper
  • Amburglar
    Options
    I used to be the queen of diet pills. I haven't taken any for over 4 years now...THANKFULLY, my boyfriend at the time, now my hubby, made me see the light. They are like legal crack in a bottle! The have ingredients to keep your energy level up to try to make up for not eating. They encourage cutting back on food. Overall, they're horribly unhealthy and can do a lot of damage to your kidneys and liver (not to mention your heart and brain). The only weight loss that will stick around is doing it the old fashioned way...a lot of hard work and eating clean. If there were any "magic pill"...we'd all be built like Hollywood's elite.