Pants Size and Time

Options
Hey everyone,

I don't have an incredible success story to share with you yet. My story's just in it's infantile stage.

I've only been active on this site for about three weeks or so. Signed up months ago with good intentions and forgot about it...

I weighed in at around 150 lbs and I'm a petite 5'2" thing, so the weight shows in my face and stomach, usually no where else.

This past January, when I actually began logging in my foods, I started seeing everything I was consuming, at eye-level. I've never done that before AND stuck with it. Tried writing it down once in a marble comp book but it's hard to stay with that - NO ACCOUNTABILITY.

At first, it was just about tracking for fun but honestly, it was difficult to see the stuff I was logging in. I opened myself up to reality and that led to negative self-criticism. (Are you really eating that much??? Holy SH!@#) Now, three weeks later, I'm conscience of what I choose and a little better about portions. I'm honest with my diary and that keeps me from going overboard like I was doing - eating like I was still in school without consequences. Don't get e wrong, I've fallen off the horse a lot but I pulled myself back on when I realized the weight was coming back and felt really guilty for having done so.

I've slowly converted myself into a consistent label reader. I read just about everything, even gum labels and am sometimes, in awe of what I find.

It's amazing what you didn't know, you didn't know.

I've slowed my consumption of foods, from eating whatever, whenever, to now showing a bit of restraint. I didn't make any major life changes or stop eating anything completely. I'm just more selective and discreet.

This past week, I found myself starting to nix some pretty nasty habits (refraining from eating the greasy skin off one of my favorite chicken, Popeyes, not gorging out on onion rings and french fries, etc.) I also drink more water, thanks to someone's post in my group.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is this. You don't have to make life-altering, earth shattering changes. Take little steps and be conscience and honest with what you're doing. I haven't even started an exercise routine yet (been talking about it an awful lot, but not there yet.)

So far, I've went from being, in my mind, 40 lbs overweight to a little over 25 lbs overweight, with not much change in my life. It took a little effort but a huge motivation factor, for me has been some of the people on this site and of course, the daily food diary I have to come to terms with every night.

I've gone down one pants size and seem to have more energy than I've had in a while. I'm also a little happier around my husband and kids and honestly, my wallet's a little fatter, for not eating outside food more.

It's taken some time and that seems to be a key factor in anything worth while. It's not easy but it's also not too hard to just take a look.

Hope this helps someone. It's helped me a lot just being here.

~katie :flowerforyou:

Replies

• hollwoods
    hollwoods Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Great job so far, and keep it up. I was too surprised when I looked at all I was eating, the high salt content, enriched flours, and buckets of sugar. I admit popeye's chicken is good, so it's not a terrible idea to treat your great success once in a while :smile:
  • katiebythebay
    katiebythebay Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Great job so far, and keep it up. I was too surprised when I looked at all I was eating, the high salt content, enriched flours, and buckets of sugar. I admit popeye's chicken is good, so it's not a terrible idea to treat your great success once in a while :smile:

Thank you. I've fallen off the wagon more than I care to admit, but I guess getting back in the saddle is more important than focusing on the bad?

I haven't even thought about the sodium fight yet. I'm a salt eater, like just eating it raw unfortunately. Guess that's one thing to cut out.

You've lost 53 lbs - that's an incredible feat, congratulations! Was it a hard trip for you to do it or seemingly easier than you thought it would be?

~katie

• secrets_out
    secrets_out Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Great work girl! One day at a time ;)
  • katiebythebay
    Options
    Great work girl! One day at a time ;)

And you sweetheart, are one of those friends I was talking about!

:flowerforyou:
  • dan323
    dan323 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Great work katie. It is amazing what and how much we eat when not thinking about it. Staying honest with yourself is the most important. Everyone cheats now and then,but as long as you log it to reflect on later so you only do it once in a while IMO is great. Keep it up.
  • DEGiltz
    DEGiltz Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Great job!! It's your commitment to yourself that will keep you on the right path.

On another note entirely, from one forty-something to another, for 40 y.o. you look fantastic; beautiful!!
  • katiebythebay
    Options
    Great job!! It's your commitment to yourself that will keep you on the right path.

On another note entirely, from one forty-something to another, for 40 y.o. you look fantastic; beautiful!!

That picture is actually me at age 20. I posted it for motivation - to get back to where I want to be... it's actually helped me because every time I log in, I have to stare at something I've lost...not-lol.

~katie

• 1981simm
    1981simm Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way... i'm just getting into portion control no soda lots of water since I drank none before... and this month I've lost 14 lbs... I know its going to slow down eventually but by then I hope my eating habits are changed thanks for supporting me on my journey and best of luck on yours
  • willisda
    willisda Posts: 2,251 Member
    Options
    You rock, my friend! Keep it up!
  • Justkf
    Justkf Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Agreed! It is amazing how the tracking notifies us of what we have been doing. I, too have broken some bad habits of what I was shoveling into my mouth. Good job so far and congrats on the downsizing of pants! That is a great feeling.
  • katiebythebay
    Options
    You rock, my friend! Keep it up!

You are another one of those friends, too, that I mentioned in my post (book, lol.)

Thank you guys...

~katie

• vaderandbill
    vaderandbill Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options

That picture is actually me at age 20. I posted it for motivation - to get back to where I want to be... it's actually helped me because every time I log in, I have to stare at something I've lost...not-lol.

~katie

It's not lost...it never left. Now just walk yourself back to it!

• katiebythebay
    Options

~katie

I think I've found my second-in-line dream husband, thanks so much for saying so Bill.

• vaderandbill
    vaderandbill Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options

~katie

I think I've found my second-in-line dream husband, thanks so much for saying so Bill.

Second-in-line??? What is that?? Second is just the first loser!! I've never settled for second!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!