Is your family active or lazy?

Options
I'm curious to those with families....

Is your family active? Or are they lazy?

As I'm cleaning the house this morning, I ask if anyone wants to go for a bike ride with me. My husband and 5 yr old say no. I ask if anyone wants to go for a walk downtown, everyone says no.

It's beautiful outside! Sunny, 67 degrees! It's Saturday! No work tomorrow!

I never let them hold me back and I'll go on my own if it comes down to it. But what the heck??

I'm thankful that my son is NOT lazy. I make him go outside and play football with me or we'll go to his favorite trampoline place and jump our hearts out for an hour. (Talk about exhausting!) He just really loves to play with his football cards or his toys because we're nonstop during the week with our regular routine.

But it does frustrate me at times.

So if your family active or lazy? And what do you do about it?

Replies

• runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I only live with my fiance. He's relatively lazy. He's morbidly obese, and it was the influence of his lazy lifestyle and the huge and unhealthy meals he cooked that led me to reach obesity.

I'm not blaming him. It was my choice to eat the food, but obviously living with other unhealthy people can lead you to be the same. That said, he's incredibly supportive of me and of my need to eat well, exercise and have my portions weighed out (he does all the cooking).

I feel my actions are also having a slight influence on him. He diets on and off, but with little commitment. He's signed up to a half-marathon despite his huge size and is doing a couch-to-5k type programme (though is still in the very early stages and has convinced himself he won't be able to do it), and he did sign up to MFP and use it for a week or two before he gave it up saying it was boring inputting his food every day. When he diets, he goes for very small portions of all the wrong foods, then goes on a binge and gives it all up again.

I'll be honest in saying I don't think he's likely to ever get into a healthy lifestyle, but that's fine with me, it's his choice. It's up to me to do this on my own, though I admit I worry about his eating in future. He's very picky, he only likes junk, he won't eat vegetables and in just over five years I expect to have a toddler on my hands who I'm going to be encouraging to eat small portions of the right foods and have a varied diet when there's the potential for dad to be refusing vegetables, refusing to eat with us on days when I cook a food he won't like (which will be at least 50% of the time, most likely) and picking pizza and chocolate as his regular snacks of choice...but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it, I suppose. He knows all my intentions about how I'll be planning to bring up our kids as far as my part is concerned, and he's got his own plans that I'm compromising on. We'll work through it.
  • MariaAlbinaxoxo
    MariaAlbinaxoxo Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    My family is very active. My dad and 18 year old sister are cyclists and my 14 year old sister works out occasionally. The only non-active person is my mom. She's skinny though (120lbs) I just wish she would get some exercise in once in a while.
  • eashelton53
    eashelton53 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I just try to lead by example. I signed my family up at the YMCA and for the first two weeks my wife went but she stopped. My step daughter has only been two times and both times she only walked around with a towell around her neck and drinking water from her water bottle. (looking cute not wanting to sweat or mess up her hair) My youngest likes to go. We swim and play basketball together. He just got assigned to his basketball team today.

My other two kids that live in Florida come here for the summer months and they are extreamily active. My wife also took her daughters bike so that she can start riding but spent all last summer with the bike laying upside down in the hallway, so I just recently purchased myself a bike so that we can ride together.
  • MrsFelton2010
    MrsFelton2010 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    My 2 kittens are active for the most part lol but they sleep a lot. As fr my husband he can be lazy and loves t play games and watch tv bu lately he has been going to the gym with me. I am trying to take us from lazy to active. We bought bikes lastyear but didn't ride much. I'm hoping by spring we both will have loss more weight and we will ride more.
  • BrandyontheRun
    BrandyontheRun Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    My spouse is INSANELY lazy- it's so damn frustrating!! LoL! The majority of my family has no interest in health, fitness, or sports but oddly enough- The several of us that have struggled with addiction have all turned to the gym and are now active and health conscious.
  • inlander
    inlander Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    My family growing up was pretty lazy, but my parents both worked two full time jobs and never focused on their own health. My brother and I are both a little bit overweight but we're both a lot more active than our parents.

Now, my boyfriend and I are a little family unit and I would say that he's pretty lazy (although in good shape - if he feels like he's letting himself go, he works out and loses weight) and to be honest, I'm pretty lazy and only work out on the exercise bike. In the summer I go out and play basketball/soccer with friends but my boyfriend hates sports so... yeah.
  • CallmeSbo
    CallmeSbo Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    LAZY
  • Thulpa
    Thulpa Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Everyone I know is in the transitional phase of life where they are converting to a healthy lifestyle. I have been medically out of the gym for over 8 months. Now that I am back, I am looking forward getting back to ground zero where I was before I was out, and then improving on that.

Avid lifter and cyclist. I love the feel of heavy weights even if I call it moving furniture.
  • FarmerNikki
    Options
    Right now we're all active but it wasn't always that way. For years my husband would try to get me to go on walks with him and I would make excuses, "it's too hot," "it's too cold" "I don't feel well" bla bla bla. I finally started going with him and once we were walking regularly I started getting into strength training and at first he didn't want to do any of it but he gave in and now we encourage each other. As far as my children, they're 3, 2, and 1 so they are always active :D
  • krystonite
    krystonite Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Very active. My dad is nearly 70 and he's more physically active and in better shape than I. He's forever out doing yard work, lifting weights, going on bike rides. The man is a freakin' machine. He looks amazing.

My brother was in the olympics for volleyball and is very much into competitive sports. He does 10 mile runs on the beach every single morning, weight training, followed by a heap of team sports.
  • mp15
    mp15 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Trying to get active...but have been lazy for a long time. I've been taking the kids for walks on saturdays and then we usually stay outside for a while and just do something active. Its amazing how much fun it is just to go out in the backyard and play tag with my boys. Have to stop making excuses and go out and do it.
  • mznisaelaine
    mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    Very active! My dad is a health nut, everytime he gets the chance he will go play basketball at the park with the young guys lol or ride his bike or something. My mom is active when she wants to be but not lazy at all. She travels alot because of her company so she is very active walking and traveling from hospitals to hospitals in different states. My older brother is very active. He lost over 80 pounds and runs on the beach with me sometimes but he likes to play sports for his exercise. My younger brother who is in college always has been active since forever. Always has played sports, his his workouts are playing football with his friends, doing Insanity, and going running. As for me, I am very active as well. I use to be a runner so I ran pretty much everyday until I went off to college and was not active at all, I stop running and working out and stopped eating healthy and gained over 50 pounds in the last year. Now I am more active again and I love to run, I now do Insanity and I will do anything I can to stay active and healthy. I lost half of those pounds and trying to reach my goal weight again at the end of the semester. My family we strive to stay healthy and because of my parents and brothers, I am back on track with getting healthy again. :)
  • CourteneyLove
    CourteneyLove Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    lazy! i feel the same
  • bhurley1424
    bhurley1424 Posts: 927 Member
    Options
    NOW - my husband and I like to stay active; it's hard not to with a toddler running around (or crawling). We'll go for walks, bike rides (as well as our regular workouts after baby is in bed) and we play with our daughter alot. Before we started this lifestyle change we were pretty lazy, I hated exercise. My family was not active growing up! I'm trying to change that and raise my daughter to be active in all kinds of activities; whatever she wants to do. We do gymnastics with her now and she just loves the tumbling and 'exploring'. :bigsmile:
  • omgitsgarry
    Options
    My family is lazy. My mom always talks about how one day she will get it together, but I doubt she ever will. My dad has a pretty demanding job in the heating and air conditioning business so it wears him out and he doesn't want to think about healthy eating or exercising when he gets home at night. My cat and I are the only active ones.
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    My dad is probably the laziest. He doesn't workout ever and doesn't eat right. He haphazardly tries to eat healthy, by ordering Wendy's salads and the like but one of his problems is his blood pressure. The insane amount of sodium in those salads aren't going to help him in that regard. My mom TRIES to be active at least and she's been really trying lately to get in shape but her eating habits could also use some work. My brother is much better, he's lost about 100 lbs so far and from what I understand does exercise from time to time so at least there's that.
  • kentlass
    kentlass Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    my family...siblings etc are all but 1 of them very lazy...me and my active brother are considere oddities as we're both lovers of anything physical!

but my small family consists of myself, my husband and a 3yr old and 2yr old....me and my hubby are both very active, we do 10mile walks just for the enjoyment of it, my husband doesn't workout as such but is very encouraging of me doing it...my little 2yr old son walks everywhere and is also very active, we encourage him to be as physical as possible..unfortunately my 3yr old daughter is wheelchair bound and has no capabilities at all, but she loves being out in the fresh air with us when we run/walk
  • MissSpuggz
    MissSpuggz Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    My grandparents, sister and auntie are seriously lazy. My grandparents and sister (23) are seriously overweight and do very little exercise, maxing out on going up and down stairs or round the shop. My aunite isn't overweight but is very unhealthy, she used to be anorexic when she was suffering a divorce but now she's pilled on a lot of weight in a short period of time and rarely goes out the house.

When I started to get more active, I had very little support from my family. I live with my grandparents and they seem to think it's a waste of time, I've told them that I'm serious about it, I want to eat healthy but do they care? No.

My nan cooks fry-ups, curries, lasagne, steaks and chips, pizzas, fish and chips, takeaways and she expects me to eat this still. The healthiest thing they eat is a Sunday lunch. When I manage to cook myself something healthy, she'll be throwing chocolate and crap in my face to "fill" me up. I feel like they want me to be like them and it really frustrates me.

I'm honestly surprised they have both made it to their 70's but I'm constantly expecting them to pass away.
  • bohoatthebeach
    Options
    my whole family is lazy, and i used to be too. my mum and i are the only ones in the family who aren't naturally skinny (you know the types, the ones who eat as much as they want and stay a healthy weight) so that gives me incentive to exercise. (:
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I'd say active reading most of the posts so far. However, they are not athletic. It made me sad you said you "make" your child go outside :(

We rarely have the TV on in our house, my kids bike to school and back when weather is good. We have an acre they are always outside in the yard, if they are indoors, they are expected to help around the house. My husband just started riding my exercise bike every AM. He however is very active when he's home working on some type of project, we both work long hours. My kids are not involved in sports, they are very tiny for their ages and haven't got much ability. My oldest has taken to running with me and wants to run cross country when he is old enough. But they will skate board, ride bikes, play in the dirt, ride motorcycles, play in the snow, they camp in the summer and hike a lot. They also work on a friends farm on school breaks. My kids aren't very active. My oldest also volunteers at a local assisted living facility and does games and exercises with the residents there.

My kids and family are active because other options aren't there for them. Entertain yourself has always been my approach. If they aren't busy doing something, there is always cleaning to be done :)