Is there a snack that I can feel good about?

Options
CoderGal
CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
Problems:
- Good food goes bad fast
- Food that doesn't seem to have to many processed ingredients
- I want some kinda healthy snack that isn't candy in my fridge

Solutions:
*insert words here that make YOUR BODY SAY THANKS, I NEEDED THAT*

Replies

• grnmarvel
    grnmarvel Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Try string cheese or celery and peanut butter.
    Also, here is a sweet dessert:

2 Square Chocolate graham crackers
    2 T Fat Free Cool Whip

Put 2T of cool whip on 1 square of graham cracker, top with other square and freeze. For Weight Watchers it is 1 point, otherwise I am not sure of the break down. However, it is a great alternative to Ice Cream Sandwiches.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    /
  • CoderGal
    Options
    I want something that says THANKS! MY BODY NEEDED THIS!
    Try string cheese or celery and peanut butter.
    Also, here is a sweet dessert:

2 Square Chocolate graham crackers
    2 T Fat Free Cool Whip

Put 2T of cool whip on 1 square of graham cracker, top with other square and freeze. For Weight Watchers it is 1 point, otherwise I am not sure of the break down. However, it is a great alternative to Ice Cream Sandwiches.

I'm not really concerned over breakdown and calories here, just something people can say is healthy (not sure if cool whip counts lol). For example, nuts is a food with nothing added to it so I consider it healthy despite the fat content.

Thanks, for the celery peanut butter, I eat that one often tho.
  • Justkf
    Justkf Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Rasberries and Blackberries are like candy. Lots of fiber and low calorie. My current treat of choice.
  • CaseyBee
    CaseyBee Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I like Mini Babybel cheese (70cal), hard-boiled eggs (70cal), plain popcorn (you can pop bulk kernels in a paper bag in the micro to eliminate oil, salt, etc) apples and bananas. All these things are incredibly easy to toss in a bag and take with you to work/school etc, so I go through a lot of them. :)
  • cruiseking
    cruiseking Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Bake some fuji apples, with cinnamon on them. Then pop them in the fridge. Good for about 5-7 days, and the sweetest 70 calories you'll ever have.
  • CoderGal
    Options
    I like Mini Babybel cheese (70cal), hard-boiled eggs (70cal), plain popcorn (you can pop bulk kernels in a paper bag in the micro to eliminate oil, salt, etc) apples and bananas. All these things are incredibly easy to toss in a bag and take with you to work/school etc, so I go through a lot of them. :)

Yes! I'm not a fan of plain cheese but the apples and bananas are definitely on the list because they last a bit.
  • fortydaysrain
    fortydaysrain Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Planters makes Pumpkin Spice Roasted Almonds, I am obsessed.
  • jvorrei
    jvorrei Posts: 13
    Options
    I second the Mini Babybel cheese! Also great is Laughing Cow cheese -- they come in several flavors and are 40 or so calories each.

This one will sound really weird, but I *love* prunes. (More specific, Sunsweet Cherry Essence Prunes. They have other flavors, too, but I've only tried the cherry.) I thought the texture was a little strange the first couple bites, but it quickly grew on me. They're so sweet, I really do feel like I'm treating myself. Worth a try, if you like any kind of dried fruit.
  • cantobean
    cantobean Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    greek yogurt
    raw almonds
    a babybel cheese and a piece of fruit
  • karenhs2
    karenhs2 Posts: 197
    Options
    I make something in my blender that is my go to treat when I need something that is sweet but still good for me. This is rather higher in calories but it only takes a little to satisfy that need for me.

This isn't an exact recipe because I vary it. You can enter your exact recipe to see what a serving will be for you.

Blend raw almonds, pitted dates, and rolled oats. I usually use a cup of almonds and of date and 1/2 cup of rolled oats. Once this is ground to a mealy consistency (chunks don't matter really), I toss in about 1/4 cup of dark chocolate morsels and let those grind up a little so the flavor gets through and through. Then I take it out of the blender and add 1/4 cup peanut butter and a couple of T of honey. You have to work it through but eventually it can be rolled into balls or bars if you like. I just leave it loose and measure it out by 1/4 cups when I want some.

You can easily see how the recipe could be tweaked to individual tastes - different nuts or other nut butter or add some cocoa powder instead of morsels or leave the chocolate out completely. The calorie content can be tweaked as well but it is hard to make it low calorie. However, you have a nice sweet few bites that is loaded with fiber and omega 3s so lots of bang for the calories and really satisfying.

Another snack I have used when I needed chocolate but also nutrition is cottage cheese mixed with a good tasting protein powder. Or even cocoa and some sweetener.
  • dls06
    Options
    /
  • jazzalea
    jazzalea Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    diet jello with Whipped cream when you know you're going to binge...

anything else when you know you've got enough control to have a small portion and enjoy the flavor

Enjoy :)
  • CoderGal
    Options
    Our Compliments makes a raisin oatmeal cookie that has a very minimal list of ingredients that all sound like food and not a list of chemical reaction biproducts :P
  • CoderGal
    Options
    Bake some fuji apples, with cinnamon on them. Then pop them in the fridge. Good for about 5-7 days, and the sweetest 70 calories you'll ever have.

Wow I never thought of that, that's a fantastic idea, thanks!
    I make something in my blender that is my go to treat when I need something that is sweet but still good for me. This is rather higher in calories but it only takes a little to satisfy that need for me.

This isn't an exact recipe because I vary it. You can enter your exact recipe to see what a serving will be for you.

Blend raw almonds, pitted dates, and rolled oats. I usually use a cup of almonds and of date and 1/2 cup of rolled oats. Once this is ground to a mealy consistency (chunks don't matter really), I toss in about 1/4 cup of dark chocolate morsels and let those grind up a little so the flavor gets through and through. Then I take it out of the blender and add 1/4 cup peanut butter and a couple of T of honey. You have to work it through but eventually it can be rolled into balls or bars if you like. I just leave it loose and measure it out by 1/4 cups when I want some.

You can easily see how the recipe could be tweaked to individual tastes - different nuts or other nut butter or add some cocoa powder instead of morsels or leave the chocolate out completely. The calorie content can be tweaked as well but it is hard to make it low calorie. However, you have a nice sweet few bites that is loaded with fiber and omega 3s so lots of bang for the calories and really satisfying.

Another snack I have used when I needed chocolate but also nutrition is cottage cheese mixed with a good tasting protein powder. Or even cocoa and some sweetener.

Perfect, I don't care about the calorie count and weight loss so much...just something I can feel good about eating.
    OK you asked for it.

1. 1 tablespoon hummus with 1 rye crisp, 1/4 cup cherry tomatoes, 2 celery stalks

2. 1/4 cup berries with 2 tablespoons full fat, plain yogurt and 1 tablespoon chopped nuts or seeds

3. 1 cup unsweetened chocolate almond milk and ½ scoop chocolate-flavoured protein powder blended with a couple of ice cubes

4. 5 almonds, ½ cup air-popped popcorn, 2 tablespoons raisins

5. 1 small tomato sliced with 1 ounce crumbled feta cheese

I love you lol That list was fantastic and full of very easy keepable things (some of them I don't exactly count as healthy). That's going to help me allot. Thanks so much!

Alot of people seem to swear by the almond milk. I've never tried it.

Edit: For those looking for the rest of this list it can be found at:
    http://www.canadianparents.com/article/100-family-snacks-under-100-calories

Great list! Best post so far for what I'm looking for it, I'm sorry the person who wrote it felt the need to delete it.
  • CoderGal
    Options

anything else when you know you've got enough control to have a small portion and enjoy the flavor

Hmm commercially prepared animal collagen topped with any kind of sweetened cream (and bought whip often containing additives) does not seem like a healthy snack to me!
  • dls06
    Options

Hmm commercially prepared animal collagen topped with any kind of sweetened cream (and bought whip often containing additives) does not seem like a healthy snack to me!
    :noway: You really don't have to be rude. Just pass on by.
  • dollipop
    dollipop Posts: 379 Member
    Options

I reckon. You're asking for help remember, you could be a bit more gracious in your replies.
  • CoderGal
    Options
    I'm so sorry, I didn't mean it as rude, I would say the same thing about the pretzel sticks (not that I don't eat any of that stuff either, but that's why I put this post here). It's easy to offend people on the internet when they can't hear your tone.
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Smashed avocado on a Wasa light cracker with a pinch of kosher salt.