I used to HATE exercise!

Options
DeeDeeLHF
DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
I used to hate exercise! I mean HATE it! I would rather starve to be on a diet than have to add exercise but since mid January I decided to try again. I joined our local YMCA.

At first I was really intimidated. :embarassed: All of these buff people looking like they knew what they were doing and me feeling so fat and out of place. Well, I finally got up the courage to ask a staff member to show me how to do some things. I also convinced my sister and my mom to join with me.

Now, I cannot go more than a day or two without going! I love it.

Today, I worked for 30 minutes on the eliptical (interval with an intensity of 30-70), then did 30 minutes on the weight machines (I am actually seeing definition in my arms and calves, and for the first time this weightloss is noticible in my hips! Good news as I am a total pear shape!), 15 minutes in the steam room (my favorite and I have been having some sinus issues, so it was awesome!), and then my real success was when I went swimming.

In the past I would do a lap and then have to stop and eventually pull out a kick board so I didn't drown! I wore my knee braces in the pool as well because they just couldn't take the strain.

Today, I swam breast stroke and front crawl almost non stop for over 20 minutes with out the knee braces! The temperature was perfect and it felt so good against my skin as my body moved so smoothly through the water. I kept wondering when I would need to stop and catch my breath but that time just didn't come!

So, for all of you beginners who see all of these really in shape people and wonder if you will be one of them, today I have hope that I will be and so can you!

If you hate exercise just keep doing it a little at a time, stick with it and let me know when you hit that magic day when you realize you are one of "them"!!!!:flowerforyou:

Replies

• DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    I used to hate exercise! I mean HATE it! I would rather starve to be on a diet than have to add exercise but since mid January I decided to try again. I joined our local YMCA.

At first I was really intimidated. :embarassed: All of these buff people looking like they knew what they were doing and me feeling so fat and out of place. Well, I finally got up the courage to ask a staff member to show me how to do some things. I also convinced my sister and my mom to join with me.

Now, I cannot go more than a day or two without going! I love it.

Today, I worked for 30 minutes on the eliptical (interval with an intensity of 30-70), then did 30 minutes on the weight machines (I am actually seeing definition in my arms and calves, and for the first time this weightloss is noticible in my hips! Good news as I am a total pear shape!), 15 minutes in the steam room (my favorite and I have been having some sinus issues, so it was awesome!), and then my real success was when I went swimming.

In the past I would do a lap and then have to stop and eventually pull out a kick board so I didn't drown! I wore my knee braces in the pool as well because they just couldn't take the strain.

Today, I swam breast stroke and front crawl almost non stop for over 20 minutes with out the knee braces! The temperature was perfect and it felt so good against my skin as my body moved so smoothly through the water. I kept wondering when I would need to stop and catch my breath but that time just didn't come!

So, for all of you beginners who see all of these really in shape people and wonder if you will be one of them, today I have hope that I will be and so can you!

If you hate exercise just keep doing it a little at a time, stick with it and let me know when you hit that magic day when you realize you are one of "them"!!!!:flowerforyou:
  • hotmommyjess
    Options
    Thats really great! I go the the Y to. Dont worry about the other ppl thinking anything about you. Most of us who are super into fitness are so absorbed in what were doing we dont even notice antyhing around us!
  • hotmommyjess
    Options
    Thats really great! I go the the Y to. Dont worry about the other ppl thinking anything about you. Most of us who are super into fitness are so absorbed in what were doing we dont even notice antyhing around us!
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    Congrats on all of your accomplishments, you are doing awesome. Keep up the great work. :flowerforyou:
  • tlapdx72
    tlapdx72 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I totaly understand how you feel. I started going to a gym about 2 months ago. I wanted my friend to come with me, but she doesn't feel comfortale going to the gym. I am tired of my weight, so I talked my husband into joining with me. I can tell a difference in my legs, and butt. It is hard for me to work out in front of all the perfect bodies, but I listen to my music, and try to focus on my work out.

Keep up the good work!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!