Starting with Running

Options
Lozze
Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
After realizing on the treadmill today that yes I can now run and it doesn't hurt I want to start running more regularly. I just don't know what times to do and how to structure it!

I'm very much a beginner and don't really have any interest in running outside. Can anyone give me tips on running on a treadmill?

Replies

• ahunt888
    ahunt888 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure exactly how much of a beginner you are, but if you are starting at square one (the way I did lol) you might want to try the couch to 5k program. You can find it at http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml It was so amazing for me. I had never been able to run, but it builds you up slowly. I went from barely being able to run for 60 seconds to running 5k's in a few months. It's very structured and can be done on the treadmill. I highly recommend it to anyone who wants to start running. Good luck!
  • monst76
    monst76 Posts: 25
    Options
    Keep it up your doing great, Im still in the walking stage but someday...
  • momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    Make sure you set the incline to 1%...treadmills at 0% incline are actually "downhill", 1% is flat road surface...your feet, shins, heels and knees will thank you

You can do the same thing on a treadmill as outside...mix up your runs...

long,slow/hills/intervals/short,fast/tempo, etc....

Just have fun with it!
  • suzzann666
    suzzann666 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I also have just recently started to add running to my workouts. Starting out with intervals of running and fast walking helped me get up to being able to go a full mile without stopping. Start out with less running, more walking, and work your way into more running, less walking, over the course of several weeks. I haven't been able to get past that point yet, but the intervals really helped out in the beginning.
  • junyr
    junyr Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    go to facebook and check out "The couch to 5k program" page. Great info that works well and very easily works you into a 3.1 mile distance over a couple months.
  • loserMC
    loserMC Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    The couch to 5k is truly one of the best beginner programs out there! Good for you. I love running!
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    don't really have any interest in running outside.
    Mind if I ask why not? I bet you'd like it :D
  • AJ_MotherRunner
    AJ_MotherRunner Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Good for you!

I always like to recommend new runners to the following link at active : http://www.active.com/running/newbie-runners/

There are many articles and tips to help new runners.

Keep up the great work and good luck. : )
  • cbb7855
    Options
    As the fellow MFP members have suggested, the "Couch to 5K" plan is great. After using a variety of free tools on the web, I still felt a little lost though. I actually pay a running coach to help me create a weekly plan. I just hit my first week of running 30 miles this month. If you are interested, you can follow my coach's blog for free:

The Boring Runner = http://www.theboringrunner.com/

He is extremely active on Twitter, and would probably be happy to answer a couple of questions to get you started. If you wanted to, you could pay him for just one month of training ($40), and see how you like it.

The most important thing it has done for me is keep me from hurting myself. All of the newbie training programs do not prepare you for the correct amount of rest that is require to stay injury free. Make sure you ask lots of questions!

~ Charles
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Mind if I ask why not? I bet you'd like it 1

Last time I was walking down the street I had nasty things yelled. Plus I don't live in the safest neighborhood. I can't exercise without music and I can't run outside with headphones on because of safety.