Mealy apples suck,,,

Options
CasperO
CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
Wow, this is a bit disappointing.

I'm a big ol' boy. 5'8" tall, 240 pounds. I got here 'cause I like to eat and don't like to be hungry.

Here lately the Mrs. and I are watching what we're eating (we're not calling it a diet - 'cause diets end), and it's not a big deal. Not really a hardship. Still eating plenty, just cut the calories by making smarter choices. 280 calories gets you either a Snicker bar or an apple AND and orange AND a banana. 3 months ago I weighed 270, so it's working.

SO i'm here in the shop chugging away on my afternoon chores - lunch was a couple hours ago and I'm a li'l hungry. No problemo mon,,, I have a big juicy Red Delicious in the lunchbox for just such an occasion.

And the davisht thing is *%&$in' mealy. Not crisp at all. It's not good, and I'm not eating it. I'll just keep me 80 calories and go home. I will not hit the junk machine,,, I will not hit the junk machine,,, I will not...... (and I really won't). Dangit.

If this stuff was easy everybody'd look like Van Damme in his prime.

Replies

• CasperO
    Options
    Wow, this is a bit disappointing.

I'm a big ol' boy. 5'8" tall, 240 pounds. I got here 'cause I like to eat and don't like to be hungry.

Here lately the Mrs. and I are watching what we're eating (we're not calling it a diet - 'cause diets end), and it's not a big deal. Not really a hardship. Still eating plenty, just cut the calories by making smarter choices. 280 calories gets you either a Snicker bar or an apple AND and orange AND a banana. 3 months ago I weighed 270, so it's working.

SO i'm here in the shop chugging away on my afternoon chores - lunch was a couple hours ago and I'm a li'l hungry. No problemo mon,,, I have a big juicy Red Delicious in the lunchbox for just such an occasion.

And the davisht thing is *%&$in' mealy. Not crisp at all. It's not good, and I'm not eating it. I'll just keep me 80 calories and go home. I will not hit the junk machine,,, I will not hit the junk machine,,, I will not...... (and I really won't). Dangit.

If this stuff was easy everybody'd look like Van Damme in his prime.
  • neverbeenskinny
    neverbeenskinny Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I agree...nothing worse than expecting to eat a nice, juicely chrispy apple when all you get is mush...yuck. :grumble: I found that if I get the "Fuji" apples, they are good almost all the time. Never had any luck with "Red Delicious", they're icky most of the time.

Good job for losing 30 so far, keep it up. :flowerforyou:
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options
    Good for you for not hitting the vending machine! You're right...mealy apples suck. :sick: Just consider it an extra 80 cals that you can eat at dinner tonight. :drinker:
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    smiley-sick009.gif
    Yuck. I hate mealy apples! Better luck next time!
  • nayareth
    nayareth Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi I'm new here but I agree with you and everyone else before me, mealy apples suck. I don't like Red Delicious for that reason they tend to be more mealy than others. My favorite is Pink lady they are so sweet and crispy.

Hope your next apple is better!!:smile:
  • memaw66
    memaw66 Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    That happened to me yesterday but it was cherry tomatoes. I had a salad from Sonic and I ate everyting but the tomatoes, saved them for last. They were so pretty and red. I bit into the first one and it was so bitter, it was disgusting. I'm glad I saved them for last though because I wouldn't have been able to eat anything else after that and my salad would have gone to waste!

Congrats on the 30 lbs and its great that you and the mrs are doing this together. Hubby started out doing this with me but he keeps falling off the wagon. I try pulling him back in but it's no use, until he is ready it's not going to happen. He really needs it too. He is 6' 250lbs.
  • CasperO
    Options
    He'll do it when he's ready, or he won't. Either way you can do what you're doing for yourself.

In my house I started it. I was sleeping very badly and my doc said I probably have apnea, and ordered a sleep study. Now I know how this song ends - you sleep study, you have apnea, they give you a C-pap machine and you sleep in a mask. I've seen my father in law in his mask, and I don't want to do that. If sweetie wanted to sleep with Darth Vader she could have married him.

So I did some online study and learned about sleep apnea, and there's lotsa ways to fight it. Elevate the head of the bed,,, use a c-pap machine,,, lose 70 pounds... SO, I'm dropping the tonnage and it's great in lotsa ways. And I am sleeping MUCH better.

Never did the sleep study BTW. If they told me I had apnea I would have just left, lost the weight, then retested, so what's the point? So I'm down 30 and sleeping much better already.

In my house I started the weight loss thing and she got into it by osmosis 'cause I do most of the cooking. Now she's a member here too and doing great and down 20. And that's pretty kewl,,, :happy:
  • memaw66
    memaw66 Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Hubby would really like you, you know fellow motorcyclists! He's a harley dude!
  • Lioness102
    Lioness102 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I am on Loestrin FE 24 and have lost 16 pounds in 20 weeks. (EDIT: But the pill had NOTHING to do with the weight loss--I've been on Loestrin for years, I'm just pointing out that this is what I take!)

I will say this though: Your plateau may have nothing to do with the pill--in fact, I'm not doctor, but I doubt it has anything to do with the pill.

Some "food for thought": Have you been doing the same exercises each week? Do you take a rest day from exercise to keep your metabolism in check? Do you do strength training (which builds muscle which speeds up your metabolism)? When you work out, do you lift little bit more weight or work a little bit more intensely each week or so? Do you workout anaerobically (find out what your heart rate should be for your weight and age to be in the anaerobic zone) or are you only working aerobically?

Your body reaches a plateau because it adapts to change very quickly. You have to keep it guessing! You might want to do some quick research on High Intensity Interval Training (aka "HIIT"), which is a type of cardiovascular workout that really tricks your metabolism and also burns 9x more calories than working out at a steady pace. As for strength training, research some workout programs that use "muscle confusion." This also keeps your body guessing so it doesn't get too comfortable.

And finally, consider your nutrition. Obviously you're staying within your calorie limit which is great, but nutrition is so much more than calories-in/calories-out. Unlike working out, diet should be more predictable. Generally fit people, people who do not struggle with weight that goes up and down, eat more or less the same things every day. They find healthy foods they like, foods they truly enjoy and look forward to, foods about which they know the nutrition info like the back of their hand, and foods that are 100% good for them and then they stick with those foods. Your diet should be mostly whole foods--get rid of processed foods, "diet" foods especially (the ones that contains artificial sweetners and additives). As those foods have little to no nutritional value, and without the proper nutrients, vitamins, and minerals, your body will NOT want to lose weight.

Also, get a good night's rest! Not sleeping enough can really slow down your metabolism.

Okay, you may already be doing all of these things, but before blaming the pill also seriously consider getting your thyroid and other blood levels checked. Good luck! Would love to hear how it goes!!

This info is quite helpful to me. I'm also taking Loestrin Fe. I suspected it was causing me to gain weight so Dr. Took me off but then I didnt find any correlations. So now I'm back on it…
    [/quote]