Going to get "real" running shoes, advice?

Options
I'm going in the next couple of weeks to a real running store where they look at your old shoes and put you on the treadmill. Any advice on what to look for in a pair of shoes? I've been having problems with my inner calf muscle straining on my right leg. I notice I roll my foot outward. I'm not to concerned about buying a certain name brand (Mizuno, Asics, Brooks, etc.) I just want a pair that won't hurt! :smile: $200 about average price? Thanks!

Replies

• crawpapa
    crawpapa Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure the running store (as long as not some chain like Academy or something) will be able to help you with all that. They are USUALLY staffed with people who run, and know the difference between over and under-pronation, and will be able to help with motion control type shoes. I think a lot of people are now pushing/using the "minimalist" style shoes, and these will basically force you to change the way you strike your foot on the ground, because it will be immediately evident if you are doing it wrong.
  • 2hungariangirls
    Options
    Thanks! I am a new runner and starting to really love it. Just got to get a better pair of shoes.
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    People are going to say this 100 times over again.. you have to go to a running store to get the Gait analysis and let them see how you walk.

I went through H*ll trying to find shoes. I had bought a total of 5 pairs and returned 4. The first store I went through with Gait analysis, wasn't a good choice for me (it was very far from my house). So I tried going on my own and bought 3 pairs and returned 3 pairs. FINALLY, I went to a local gait analysis store with a treadmill and found a WONDERFUL pair.

I ended with a Brooks Adrenaline. It all depends on your foot for what would work for you. But the first 4 pairs.. scare me.. I thought my running days were over because of the horrible purchases I was getting. At the end of your journey of shoe purchasing, please note that you can return them (don't be afraid) until you are comfortable!!! Good Luck!!

Don't be afraid and fun freely with no chin splints and no pain :) My feet roll outward too!!! $200 is WAY too expensive.
  • ahinescapron
    ahinescapron Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend going to a running specialty store for your first pair of running shoes. I think I went to a road runner sports. They put me on a treadmill and did a gait analysis to find out what type of shoes I needed. Once I knew what type of shoe I needed, I could order them on the internet form anywhere.
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    My shoe purchases ranged from $100 - $140. The ones I settled on were $101 with tax. PRICE has nothing to do with comfort.. your foot determines comfort.. not price!
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    The running store will have you try on several pairs of shoes. You won't feel rushed and they'll give you time to run in their parking lot or on a treadmill to find the perfect shoes for your feet and gait.

You may want to consider taking a pair of socks you'll be using with them. It could make a difference. However, if you don't already own wick-away socks, you may want to buy some while you're there.

I don't think you can put a price on a "good" pair of shoes .... everybody is different so you don't know what the price might be. $200 seems high to me. I'm an Asics Gel Nimbus gal. They're the shoes for my feet. I have friends who swear by Brooks. It's all about what works for you.

I do know this much ... good shoes and socks are worth their weight in gold. They make a world of difference!
  • RUNN3Rmom
    RUNN3Rmom Posts: 441
    Options
    It all depends on what you like. I have a pair of 89 Nike's and also 130 Asics', so the price can vary. I love them both for different reasons. The Nike's are my minimalist shoe (6 miles or less) and the Asics' are my support and cushion shoe (7+ miles).

I say, as previous posted, head to the store and have someone KNOWLEDGEABLE help you. They will get you in a few different pairs. I have walked/ran in 2 different shoes at the same time to compare, I definetley suggest that if you have trouble choosing.

Have fun and run happy :)
  • sprinkies
    sprinkies Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    the shoes will prob be around $100, much more than $120 and you're paying WAY too much.

don't worry about what YOU should be looking for, they will do all the work for you and find the right pair by looking at you walk/run in the shoes, and by hearing your concerns. i ended up with the brooks adrenaline first try and HATED them. they made my knee hurt. Then i returned them (no hassle!) and got an asics brand shoe that i've been running in for almost a year (i need a new pair, but am waiting for the newer model).
  • 2hungariangirls
    Options
    Thank you all for your answers! The closest running store is about 2 hours away so I want to make the most of my trip. Thanks again for your help!:flowerforyou: