Needing To Find Support/Motivation To Work Out - What To do?

I've been struggling with my diet (I end up recording my food some days, but don't end up following through on recording it when I eat too much at night). It's bad, I know. But I keep doing it. What's wrong with me lol? I know it's partially just a lack of caring about myself (because I go through months when I'm really dedicated). But this recent plateau and slight weight gain is cluing me in that I need to watch what I'm doing if I want to lose 20 pounds.

It's been too long also that I've been inactive. Even before when I was really watching my diet I wasn't working out. I'm not sure how to even start not having been active for at least four years or more. Do I join a gym? A class? Yoga? I have no clue. All I know is I need to be active - 5 days per week a gym or somewhere to establish a pattern to make it happen. Have you work out people gone through this before? I'm imagining it's like starting a diet for the first time but all over again. I feel overwhelmed and need support/help. I don't know where to begin with my motivation or to work out. Any ideas? I'm taking that first step by looking around at gyms today... I just need that extra push...

Replies

• myopus
    myopus Posts: 321 Member
    Sorry for the lack of replies; there are so many great MFP threads that it's fairly easy for a few to fall through the cracks.

Faithful logging of calories, even when what you ate wasn't all that healthy, seems to be a strong basis for many people here on MFP. Try to make a decision to log every day, no matter what - you could try to see it like brushing teeth, or walking the dog when you're tired... until you fall into the habit. The longer you faithfully log, the easier it becomes, and hopefully the benefits you'll receive from having that information will even make it something you want to do fairly soon. I enjoy logging now, not because I'm necessarily thrilled with that day's details, but because I learn from it no matter what, and improving my fitness is an important goal for me - one that I don't want to neglect again.

For exercise, joining a gym was great for me, as personally the cost has a motivator for me to utilize it. Put some time towards finding something that you find enjoyable, and remember that for many people (not all) that are still coming from no-exercise, you can't wait until you "want" to exercise; often I find I don't want to, but do it anyway, and the enjoyment comes several minutes after I start. Another suggestion is trying out home workout DVDs and YouTube videos. Google Zumba beginners, Tae Bo, etc. Leslie Sansone's Walk at Home program is great for those who need to move from no-exercise, but it's also fantastic once you have a higher endurance as you adjust intensity with her workouts. Here is a post with some Leslie Sansone YouTube video links (you have to scroll down a little) so you can check out whether you'd like (though my own Leslie Sansone favorites aren't on YT just yet):
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/432035-swat-january-walk-with-leslie-sansone-workouts
    You just have to find what moves you; give it a little time. Personally, I benefit the most (and am more likely to decide to exercise on any given day) if I switch it up on a regular basis.
  • Charlieh16
    Charlieh16 Posts: 109 Member
    Why don't you try doing Jillian Michaels 30 day shred dvd? There is a group on here where all of us are doing it together and posting our results as we go! It's so much better when you have lots of people helping you along the way! :)

As far as the logging of calories, i think it's just a case of you must log what you eat and you have to have a huge amount of will power and as the previous poster says it does become alot easier the more you do it. I love getting home and logging my food lol! (sad i know!)

Add me if you want support along the way :bigsmile:

Good luck :)
  • I was in the same situation and I had been relatively sedentary for the past few years. What made me motivated is I just texted my runner friend one night (i always make resolutions at night like an idiot :) ) and told him to sign me up with him to run a 5K. It's only like 3 miles and change but it's a start and it made me start actually training to run it. Some days it totally sucks getting started but afterwards I always feel great. I tried p90x at first but just got sick of the monotony of hearing mr. horton and quit that after 2 weeks which put me in a slump that I came out of when I signed up for the 5k. I don't know about you, but I need something tangible to work out towards instead of just working out to work out. HOpe that helps!!