Need help to Motivate others

Options
Hi everyone, I have a gal I work with who needs help losing weight. Yesterday she told me she cries herself to sleep and wants to change so badly but she is having trouble getting motivated. I've directed her to this site before but she never does it for more than a week. She's stuck in that space where it all just seems hopeless. I suggested a few of us at work forming a support group to help each other. One where we are not competing to see who can lose the most but one where we support and reward each other for reaching our own personal goals.

So here's where I need help. I'm not sure exactly how to set this up. I think each of us should set a realistic goal for a certain time frame but what kind of fun things could I do to keep her motivated and excited? Fun Mini goals or ideas to keep her involved in a group. I don't want her to feel alone. Also I need ideas on what our reward for reaching goals should be. I don't want it to be food or a night of drinking. Since that kind of stuff is what got us here. I really want to help her but I'm drawing a big blank. Any ideas would really be appreciated.
Thanks all

Replies

• tabinmaine
    tabinmaine Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    How about simply exercising together or going for walks together to start, either on your lunch hrs or after work ?? I find if you just start exercising you will make better choices for food.... just happens naturally....
  • RedHeadChick
    RedHeadChick Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    That is awesome that you want to help your friend! There need to be more people in the world like you. :)

The main thing to keep in mind. You will need to be realistic. Remember that what she decides to do with herself and her goals are up to her. So if she ends up not reaching or even trying to reach her goals, DON'T TAKE IT PERSONALLY. It is nothing you have done. It's just that she is not ready to succeed yet. So if she decides she is ready to set and strive for her goals, that is awesome! Just be motiviational, maybe send cool motivational pictures or texts.

Once you all reach a goal, maybe you could celebrate by going for a pedicure? It's a nice alternative to food. Not sure why we reward ourselves with food? But anything, but food would be good. Too easy to fall back into old bad habits. Find something you both like to do, then go do it. Movies, pedicure, massage...

Hope that helps?