How to increase running speed?

Options
I need a good concrete way to increase my running speed. I have always been a very slow runner - and need to improve my time. Any thoughts?

Replies

• mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the FIRST program, Run Less Run Faster is the book Hal Higdon also has a book on running faster. Intervals, hills, fartleks... I found it took me a program that specifically told me "what" speed to run "what" distance at since I have never had any formal coaching. SHort of that, just doing faster runs, I also got a log of benefit from Insanity - basically training myself to push harder and move faster.

How long have you been running and what distances?
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Interval training-HIIT or regular intervals will help increase speed.
  • RochelleBlack
    Options
    HIIT will def help. Start with a 2:1 ratio, eg run all out for 30 seconds, walk for 1 minute. You'll be surprised how much faster you get!
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    You have not given enough information yet. We don't know if you have enough base to support speedwork. How much do you run right now?

The right answer is probably to run more miles to build your endurance. Once you do that, your speed will increase naturally.
  • savlyon
    savlyon Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I am not a very fast runner either, but I have noticed since I have started tri training my running speed is increasing even though I don't run nearly as much as I did last year. The cycling and swimming have helped tremendously, as well as focusing on strength training.

Other than that, the best way is probably to just keep running, HIIT and more miles are excellent ideas, as stated above.