Why am I terrified of running?

Options
msarro
msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
And how do I overcome it?

I've wondered this for years... I'd sooner go under the knife than go running. I'm terrified of it. Even when I was in track in high school (I was a field kid, NOT a track kid) I would spend the last period of the day traumatized at the prospect of the one mile warmup run. I feel stupid. I feel fat. I feel clumsy. I feel completely out of my element. I feel like a spectacle, like I'm wearing a huge sign that says "Hey, check out this guy running right here," and it drives me nuts.

But at the same time, thats exactly why I want to do it. I've tried buying expensive running shoes, getting running systems, hell I've even gotten myself to do day 1 of Couch to 5k, but it kind of dies there.

How the heck do you all do it? Why am I so afraid of it?

Ultimately I want to get myself up to a 5k, and my goal is to do it this year. Has anyone else been here and met their goal? Help would be awesome.

Replies

• msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options

I've wondered this for years... I'd sooner go under the knife than go running. I'm terrified of it. Even when I was in track in high school (I was a field kid, NOT a track kid) I would spend the last period of the day traumatized at the prospect of the one mile warmup run. I feel stupid. I feel fat. I feel clumsy. I feel completely out of my element. I feel like a spectacle, like I'm wearing a huge sign that says "Hey, check out this guy running right here," and it drives me nuts.

But at the same time, thats exactly why I want to do it. I've tried buying expensive running shoes, getting running systems, hell I've even gotten myself to do day 1 of Couch to 5k, but it kind of dies there.

Ultimately I want to get myself up to a 5k, and my goal is to do it this year. Has anyone else been here and met their goal? Help would be awesome.
  • Kimono
    Kimono Posts: 367
    Options
    I hated running. Avoided it at all cost. Secretly admired those who did run-and at the same time wondering how it was possible for anyone to run more than a couple blocks. But I am now a runner and have been for 2 years. Ran my first full marathon last year in 3:58. You just have to stick to it, stick with the couch to 5k program. Set small goals, you will surprise yourself. That is the great thing about running-you can easily measure your progress.
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I will happily swim for two miles, do an hour on the elliptical, walk on the incline trainer forever, take cardio dance classes, yoga, strength training, and just about any other exercise that you can think of. I can not run. I consider myself to be in really good shape at this point ,but a few weeks ago, during a group workout, I had to run on the treadmill for 5 minutes. My feet and shins hurt and were swollen for the next three days.

I just think some of us were not meant to run.

My philosophy is that if exercise becomes work or something you dread, you won't do it. So I don't even try to run.....I just choose to do things I enjoy.

Why do you feel like you need to try to get past this "fear" and start running?
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I ran my first 5K about a week ago.

I started with the Couch to 5K program in Dec. and just slowly worked my way through it. Sometimes I'd do a certain week for 4 runs instead of 3 so it took me longer than 9 weeks.

Now I can run 4 miles and I hope to do a 10k in Oct.
  • Teria
    Teria Posts: 36
    Options
    :happy:

Maybe you are insecure(sorry about the exclamation point)!

I was terrified of running at one point in time. It hurt, I looked like a fat chic with big boobs (38dd) huffing and puffing down the street in an over sized shirt and shorts that were too tight. There would be people looking and I was the center of their weird stares (and not to mention the person who was like 20lbs heavier than me, whooping my *kitten* in laps while I was wheezing). It was all just too overwhelming. I ran track in high school too, and that was even more embarrassing at times because I "ran fast for a bigger girl".

Newho, being around people when you work out in general is very hard. Running is even harder sometimes because it seems as though some magical skill is required. My advice to you, try running at night, or at times when a lot of people aren't out. First start out walking then jog a little. Keep alternating until you can jog and are comfortable with your surroundings and your body. After that, explore a little, start out by walking everywhere you go(the walking and jogging will also ease you into it so you are not huffing and puffing). You have to take baby steps.

Good Luck, hope I helped a little.
  • xsargex
    xsargex Posts: 768
    Options
    Cause running sucks, thats why.

But its some of the best full-body cardio out there. I've found once I get past the initial breathing hurdle where you think your about to pass out cause your lungs are on fire, it becomes alot easier. If you find difficulties with running, set your goals small. Vary your speed; walk, jog, run, sprint. Concentrate on your leg muscles; calves and quads to get them stronger so that your not putting so much pressure on your joints. Find alternatives to fat-burning to get your weight down to ease the burden as well.
    Above all, its about toughening it out thru the mental games. Try beefing up your mp3 player with a playlist that gets you pumped up and excited. Something to sing along too. Something with a good beat that helps the ackwardness in your stride. Try focusing on something else (day dreaming) while running. I try to get lost inside my head. Rethink of past memories or retell stories in my head. Sounds creepy, but man it works. its like getting in your zen place...you gotta create it. It helps.
  • pattitricia85
    Options
    i have a love/ hate relationship w/ running. It's the cardio i do most of the time, because its what gets me the best results. It's intimidating to start, though. Once your body adjusts and your endurance picks up, its a great feeling and you feel invinvcible! Start easy, once you set your mind to it, you won't believe how fast you will improve!
  • jamielbeck
    jamielbeck Posts: 188 Member
    Options

I feel the same way about this. I looked at the couch to 5K plan yesterday and want to do it but I am for some reason avoiding it. The past couple years I have walked in the Race for a Cure but I think I want to run it this year. Do you have a race or event your are looking to participate in? Maybe that will give you some help to get over the fear. I am hoping it helps me....registration is in April. :ohwell:
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options

Wow... Amen!
    That is totally how I feel. I am on week 5 of the couch to 5k program and it has taken every ounce of courage to go to the gym and get on that treadmill. In my head the whole time I am telling myself that everyone is staring at me and thinking I'm a fool. But you know what? Who cares? I don't know these people. And we all have to start somewhere right? And it has gotten a bit easier. You just have to keep your eyes on your goal and not let other people or your own negative self talk distract you.

My butt and b@@bs may be jiggling away for that 30 minutes I run on the gym, but I'm not going to let that stop me. After all the only way they will stop jiggling is if I get off my butt and exercise. Also, when I am done a run, it feels great. I can't wait to experience the thrill of finishing a race!

My next obstacle (which I crazy afraid about) is running outside! I mean when you are at a gym you expect to see things like a 185lbs 5 foot 2 girl running like Phoebe off of friends. When I run outside I might expectations from observers are different and I may see someone I know!!!
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Oh, my final goal is to complete (running and walking combined) 1/2 marathon in Oct.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    You specify some "image" issues, but not physical ones--e.g. does it hurt to run, do you feel orthopedic pain or extreme shortness of breath.

One of the challenges of running is that even as "easy" levels, it is still a relatively strenuous activity. So it's a little harder to "ramp up" as a beginner.

If you really want to do it, the best thing I have found is to take baby steps. That can mean starting with 2 or 3 30-60 sec intervals on a treadmill while walking, or 2-4 intervals outside. If you have access to an outdoor track, sometimes that is helpful because it is a contained space and might provide some privacy.

Back in my runner days, I experienced a couple of serious injuries. The first day back I would go a a track, walk 2 laps to warm up, run 1/2 lap, walk the second half, do that one more time, stretch and go home. It felt kind of silly, but I was able to do it every day and didn't experience any aches and pains. Just going out and trying to run continuously, even for only 5 min, is probably not a good idea.

Anything that is more than what you are doing now will start the process of adaptation, so you only have to do a tiny bit to start. Good luck.
  • jtintx
    jtintx Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Please don't take this wrong but - IT'S NOT ALL ABOUT YOU!

What I mean is that not everyone is looking at YOU. YOU aren't the focus of everyone's attention that passes you by.

I think alot of us think that we are the center of attention all the time. But the truth is, we're not. Most people don't even notice we're there. Even if somone does look at you while you are running they're probably more likely thinking, "If he can do it why can't I get off my lazy butt and do it?" The majority of people aren't as mean or as ill-thinking as you might think them to be.

So with love I say - IT'S NOT ALL ABOUT YOU! :heart:
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

Wow... Amen!
    That is totally how I feel. I am on week 5 of the couch to 5k program and it has taken every ounce of courage to go to the gym and get on that treadmill. In my head the whole time I am telling myself that everyone is staring at me and thinking I'm a fool. But you know what? Who cares? I don't know these people. And we all have to start somewhere right? And it has gotten a bit easier. You just have to keep your eyes on your goal and not let other people or your own negative self talk distract you.

My butt and b@@bs may be jiggling away for that 30 minutes I run on the gym, but I'm not going to let that stop me. After all the only way they will stop jiggling is if I get off my butt and exercise. Also, when I am done a run, it feels great. I can't wait to experience the thrill of finishing a race!

My next obstacle (which I crazy afraid about) is running outside! I mean when you are at a gym you expect to see things like a 185lbs 5 foot 2 girl running like Phoebe off of friends. When I run outside I might expectations from observers are different and I may see someone I know!!!

50% of the people at the club don't notice you, 40% respect and admire your efforts.
    The other 10% aren't worth bothering about.
  • xsargex
    xsargex Posts: 768
    Options
    If you remember in the movie The Last Samurai (Tom Cruise being the last one apparently) was practicing the art of the sword with his village nemesis played by Hiroyuki Sanada. After being beaten two or three times. His japanese companion runs over and gives him a piece of advice.

"Algren-san......TOO....MANY....MIND. Mind on opponent. Mind of sword. Mind of people watching. Remember, no mind."

Too many minds my friend.