Knee pain from 30 Day Shred

Options
Since about day 4 of the 30DS I have been having almost sever knee pain on the outside of my right knee and now my left knee has started too. Along with the pain it feels SOOOOOO tight!!!! I did L2D1 yesterday and now the back of my right knee is killing me. I can not go a day without taking Advil just so I can get my workouts in. I am seriously considering quitting BUT I have had great results so far and feel kinda like a failure for considering quitting. Any advise??

Or does anyone have a good replacement for the 30DS? I can not afford P90X.

Replies

• healthyliving_girl
    healthyliving_girl Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I read a blog about a guy who had done the 30DS with some adjustments since he had knee issues:
    http://www.theshredheads.com/2009/12/the-30-day-shred-2010-adaptations.html

Here's a blog with tips on knee strengthening
    http://www.bodiesinmotivation.com/2009/08/knee-pain-and-30-day-shred/

I haven't tried it myself yet. It's on order, but I have been researching alternative ways and still use the DVD. I had knee surgery awhile ago and it still hurts if worked out too hard. :P
  • aklitten
    aklitten Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I had to alter some of the moves (squats and lunges) when it seemed to stress out my knees. Never once did I consider doing it 30 days in a row. Just be careful--as an MFP friend said, I would never want surgery or to blow out a knee! So I took it easy when necessary.
  • lijparsons
    Options
    I had the same thing when I did the Shred. I worked through the pain, took advil a couple of time per day, and the pain eventually went away. I'm not saying this is the smartest thing to do...it is just what I did. I didn't want to stop working out, as I was determined. It paid off for me. Do what your gut tells you to do. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • KellyRichwine
    Options
    You need to modify the exercises so you don't destroy your knees. It can take months to heal from knee issues. Be careful and take care of yourself.
  • 1HappyRosie
    1HappyRosie Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I've read that others that have bad knees use an exercise trampoline for the jumping exercises. Have you looked at the P90 without the X. Have also seen that others have really had some good results from it and it is quite a bit cheaper but it is also and older version. Just an idea. Keep with it!
  • juicygurl1
    juicygurl1 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    You might need to get your knees evaluated if they are swelling, hopefully it is nothing serious
  • jmjones66
    jmjones66 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I've started the 30DS 3 times, but NEVER get past the 1st level due to knee pain. I'm afraid to push it any further for fear of having long lasting knee issues. I normally do a great deal of walking, and have recently gone back to it.:smile:
  • tistal
    tistal Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    You might need to get your knees evaluated if they are swelling, hopefully it is nothing serious

I have no swelling at all luckily!
  • tistal
    Options
    I've read that others that have bad knees use an exercise trampoline for the jumping exercises. Have you looked at the P90 without the X. Have also seen that others have really had some good results from it and it is quite a bit cheaper but it is also and older version. Just an idea. Keep with it!

I was just looking at mini tramps today! That might be something to look into!
  • tistal
    Options
    bump
  • Lorleee
    Lorleee Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Those who are saying they modify the exercise, can you explain? How are you modifying? I ask because I want to start this next week but I don't want to do anything stupid and injure myself.
  • tistal
    Options
    Those who are saying they modify the exercise, can you explain? How are you modifying? I ask because I want to start this next week but I don't want to do anything stupid and injure myself.

When you do the 30DS, there is a girl that does modifies versions. Makes the moves easier for beginners. Not so deep in the squats and lunges, easier pushups, etc....
  • shelllular
    Options
    I'm on L1D8 and my knees feel horrible. My thighs were also really sore, but that has subsided, now it's just my knees. They throb all day, and it honestly feels sort of like "growing pains". I'm trying to push through it, and hopefully my body will just adjust.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    There is "sore" pain and acute pain. If you feeling it in the knees and on the ligaments and tendons, then it's acute. More than likely your form is wrong, which is part of the reason why I'm not fond of home DVD's. It's one thing to watch the movements and another to actually do them correctly.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • princessdracos
    princessdracos Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    There is "sore" pain and acute pain. If you feeling it in the knees and on the ligaments and tendons, then it's acute. More than likely your form is wrong, which is part of the reason why I'm not fond of home DVD's. It's one thing to watch the movements and another to actually do them correctly.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

One thing I really like about 30DS is that Jillian is constantly talking about correct form to avoid injuries. I've mostly had soreness in my quads...I sometimes have knee problems, but I haven't had any from this yet, but I try to be very concious of my movements. I do, however, want to reach through the screen and strangle her every time I hear her spout off about having 400lb people who do jumping jacks. :grumble:
  • rockette7
    rockette7 Posts: 18
    Options
    Are you watching your form for the side lunges? I find if I don't keep a close eye on them for that, my knees don't thank me for it! I'm settling for less reps to make sure I get the form right. The movement is slower, but I'd rather than damage my knees! I'm hoping that with practice, the form will come more naturally and I'll get my reps up.
  • levi0823
    levi0823 Posts: 12
    Options
    I hurt my right knee doing lunges on the 30DS. It took 3 months before I could run the distances I was running before. I'll never do that video again! :(
  • 2hmom
    2hmom Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I quit after 15 days my knees hurt so badly. I don't know if it was the jumping jacks or what. She says if 400 lb people can do it...I have been 1 month on the bicycle so I want to try this again next week,we will see.
  • brendansmom1
    brendansmom1 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    One thing (and no, I am not an expert, just a klutz, so I have to really watch myself)

You have to be VERY VERY careful with the side lunges and the squats (the side lunges mainly) It is really easy to overextend your knee...watch the way you place your foot when you are doing the side lunges...if your foot is not in the right position...you can twist your knee...on the squats, as JM says in the video...watch that your knees don't go past your toes...the easiest way to keep that in mind is kinda "lean" your weight to your heels...keeps you thinking about it.

But, serious...the side lunges are probably the culprit. Perhaps you can do just the arms on that move for awhile.

Oh, and in the warm up...skip the knee circles....

Good Luck!!
  • 2hmom
    2hmom Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Thanks brendensmom,I will lean my weight into my heels. Very good tip. And skip the knee circles!