Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Is a gym necessary?

Who thinks that going to a gym will speed up the amount of weight loss? I might actually be able to afford it soon but I want to be sure its worth the money. If anyone can give me some insight it would be great. I already run, well run/walk:happy: . But I think I'm missing out on stregth training and I might be really losing out by not being able to do that.

Replies

• thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Yes, you are missing out by not strength training. You don't necessarily need a gym to strength train (look up "cave man workouts"), but it certaintly helps. By strength training, you'll add muscle, which actually increases your resting metobolic rate, causing you to burn more calories doing nothing. Not to mention, when you finally lose the weight, you won't just be skin and bones, you'll have some muscle. It also benefits you to be stronger, which will increase self confidence and overall appearance.
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Answer: Nope.

Additional info: You will become a mush of skin and no tone.
  • deporee
    deporee Posts: 59
    I get my strength training in with workout videos.
  • we use the EA Sports Fit Active 2 here and it does both Cardio and Strength training in it.
  • No, but you should strength train at home so that you look how you want because I'm sure you don't want to look anorexic. As was said EA Sports Active 2 has both and I really like doing though though my version of easy and it's version of easy are not the same. I personally use home and gym I like the machines at the gym and the freedom to do what's fun at hom.
  • pupcamper
    pupcamper Posts: 410 Member
    For me yes! I wouldn't workout anywhere near as much if I didn't have my gym membership. I try to do stuff at home but I always find excuses not to, plus I do like the machines!
  • agentscully514
    agentscully514 Posts: 616 Member
    Not at all. Many people here have lost 100 pounds plus without going to the gym. What matters is finding a way to exercise that works for YOU. For some people it's the gym, for others it's not.

I don't belong to a gym myself. I do belong to the public pools in my county, which costs a lot less than a gym. Other than that, I work out on my own.
  • agentscully514
    agentscully514 Posts: 616 Member
    deleted double post.
  • meghan1789
    meghan1789 Posts: 81 Member
    It depends on you. I love the gym. It makes me leave my apartment and actually go and do something. I'm not very motivated by at home workouts.

But if you have that motivation, then you don't need it at all. Especially if it's going to be a financial burden. You don't want to resent going to the gym.

You can always buy a set of free weights (even just two 5 lb dumbells) and some ankle weights and work out at home. Weight training isn't the only way to build muscle. Workout videos are great tools for doing this. Youtube also has thousands of videos with how to build muscle without any equipment at all.

Hope that's helpful!
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,689 Member
    No, but you should strength train at home so that you look how you want because I'm sure you don't want to look anorexic. As was said EA Sports Active 2 has both and I really like doing though though my version of easy and it's version of easy are not the same. I personally use home and gym I like the machines at the gym and the freedom to do what's fun at hom.

While I agree that the OP probably doesn't want to be thin with relatively low muscle tone ("skinny fat" if you will), it takes a lot more than eating healthy and cardio to look anorexic.

It is possible to do strength training at home, with minimal or no equipment. You can find lots of body-weight exercises online and just use those.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    For me, a gym is a necessity. I've tried working out at home and I have zero motivation to do it when my couch is yelling my name, the house needs to be cleaned or laundry needs finished. I will find 101 reasons to NOT workout if I'm doing it at home.

It all depends on you. You can strength train at home just like you can do cardio at home. You can do them at a gym. Do what works for YOU.
  • xonicolette
    xonicolette Posts: 151 Member
    it really depends on you, because right now I am working out at home but plan to get a gym membership soon. I know that once I look good enough for me, I will stop working out completely and I know if I pay ahead of time for a gym membership, I will use it and maintain a healthy lifestyle by working out at least twice a week or so.
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Join the gym if you think you would like it. I would ask for a free pass first to test drive it.

I've kept off 30 lbs in the last year, without a gym. I have a ways to go and might do it at some point.

Here's some info from the National Weight Control Registry;

Of people who belong (you have to have lost at least 30 lbs and kept it off for a year but I want to lose more before asking to be included)...

98% said they modified their food intake in some form (which is what everyone here is trying to do!)

94% increased their physical activity, with the most frequently reported form of activity being walking.

62% watch less than 10 hours of TV per week
    90 % exercise, on average, about 1 hour per day.

So, I'm guessing from these numbers, a lot of people are walking nearly every day, and they might also do other things, but walking is a major form of exercise.

It's weight bearing and good for your heart. You can interval train on hills, even flat stretches. You might want to do other exercises if you choose walking as your main activity.

Joining a gym is great, but if you don't join, don't let anyone make you feel you're not doing the right thing. Best of luck!
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    is it necessary? no. however, for me, i can make more excuses to not work out at home. i look like an idiot if i walk into the gym, spend 5 minutes doing something and leave!
  • mrk34
    mrk34 Posts: 227 Member
    Gym is not necessary. We don’t have to exercise to lose weight. I can state that because I have lost weight without exercising.

Shortly after I started my weight-loss program, I got injured and any exercise was out of question. I was desperate and thought that my chances for weight-loss were reduced to zero. Concerned if I would be able to lose any weight without exercising I researched this subject and found this TIME 2009 article:

http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1914857-1,00.html

The article gave me a little peace of mind. I continued with eating habits changes I implemented. The scale continued to show lower numbers at unchanged rate. I lost a total of 81 pounds.

Exercise is very important to our health and for this reason alone we should exercise and remain active. The importance of exercise and physical activity in prevention of Coronary Artery Disease can’t be overstated.
  • I think that a gym is certainly beneficial as it makes it easier/more accessible to engage in a variety of helpful exercises. If you are able to adequately do cardio exercises on your own without a gym, that's very helpful. But as people have mentioned, where you are missing out is on strength training, which has very many benefits.

I don't know if the gym is worth it for you. I'm fortunate enough to have a gym in the condo where I live, so I haven't had to weigh the cost versus the benefit. However, if you're skeptical about the cost, I would recommend looking up various strength workouts you can do on your own without a gym. What comes quickly to mind is squats and lunges, both of which can be done with some variation to work slightly different muscle groups and at different intensities. Pushups and situps (and other abdominal work) can be completed without a gym. Dumbbells can be purchased to complete some arm exercises (as well as be used in the squats/lunges). Curls, flies, overhead presses, and others can be done.

You won't get the kind of workout that you would want if, say, you were a serious athlete. But personally, I think that if you can motivate yourself to work out on your own, you can get a gym-quality workout at home with some dumbbells and possibly a workout video. Jillian Michael's videos are surprisingly difficult and will provide even in-shape people with a challenge.

Good luck. Sorry my post droned for a bit. Bottom line, IMO, is that if you can motivate yourself to workout on your own, you can get a gym-quality or near gym-quality workout with a few dumbbells and a continued dedication to cardio.
  • drea73
    drea73 Posts: 20
    It depends on if you will go. I just cancelled my gym membership. When I first got it I was taking classes several times a week. Then I started working from home and my kids got in more activities and I simply could not schedule it so I started doing DVD's including strength training from home.

You can buy a program like P90x and pay $129 which is less than 4-5 months at most gyms. I do miss my workout classes a lot, I really liked kickboxing and the Body Pump classes. But I simply could not make it.

So a couple of years ago the gym worked for me. Now my lifestyle has changed and working out at home is better. It depends on you and your lifestyle. The bottom line is getting the exercise no matter where you do it.
  • supergr33n
    supergr33n Posts: 69 Member
    Nope.

Bodyrock.tv - it's free/ online, can be done at home, and body-weight only (equipment is optional). I prefer Zuzana's old routines to the new stuff, but they currently have a 30-day challenge going on with some new hosts.
  • lostsanity137
    lostsanity137 Posts: 298 Member
    You don't need to spend money on a gym membership to lose weight and strength train! I do both at home! Just buy a couple of hand weights (they are cheap!) and you are ready to go! You can find whole workouts on the internet, and there are videos that include both. Popular videos that do strength training and cardio are Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred (You can find this video at Target for less than $15) or P90X (though this is more expensive unless you are into torrenting dvds). With P90X you would also need a pull up bar which you can buy for less than $30 I think.
    For a beginner I would recommend some 3-5lbs hand weights and either looking up some beginner exercises online or getting the Jillian Michaels DVD. I am doing the DVD right now myself and it is definitely making me stronger!
  • melrose09
    melrose09 Posts: 271
    Who thinks that going to a gym will speed up the amount of weight loss? I might actually be able to afford it soon but I want to be sure its worth the money. If anyone can give me some insight it would be great. I already run, well run/walk:happy: . But I think I'm missing out on stregth training and I might be really losing out by not being able to do that.

Yes, you are missing out on LOTS. It' totally possible to do it at home, but you'll meet people IRL that can help and support you PLUS, since you are paying for it, you'll be more apt to use it often.