Best workout routine/program for beginners?

Hey there!

I just recently started the weight loss journey and while I walk dogs regularly (for my work), I've never done anything regarding going to the gym, running, or anything like that so I'm a total beginner. I was wondering what the best program/routine is for people just starting out; I'm not really looking to 'bulk up', it's mostly to help with losing weight/feeling good.

I'm, unfortunately, on a fairly tight budget as I'm a contractor and my fiance is the only one working full time so I can't afford to buy a ton of equipment so I was hoping to find a routine that uses mostly body only-related exercises (plus I feel more motivated by doing that sort of stuff since I can do it in the confines of my home). I've been looking into the gyms around my area as well to hopefully find somewhere affordable to start working out/using the treadmills; I have fairly severe social anxiety so going out and working out in front of people is kind of a big deal for me which is why, if nothing else, I'd like to find a good exercise routine/program/dvd that I can use at home.

Thank you for the insight/suggestions!

Replies

• kyleekay10
    kyleekay10 Posts: 1,812 Member
    My favorite is the Biggest Loser game on the Xbox/Kinect. If you already have the Xbox, it may be worth looking into. cox cable also has free workouts on their on demand channel. Good luck!
  • My favorite is the Biggest Loser game on the Xbox/Kinect. If you already have the Xbox, it may be worth looking into. cox cable also has free workouts on their on demand channel. Good luck!

I never knew the xbox had work out games! Sadly, I don't have kinect yet. :<

Time to look into getting cable, haha.
  • jfcameron23
    jfcameron23 Posts: 44 Member
    When I started I bought 4 DVD's for variety and hand weights. Cost about $40. Pilate's,biggest loser power walk, JM 30 day shred and biggest loser cardio max.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Honestly the best workouts I ever did was with a trainer, on the floor.

Pushups
    Planks
    Squats
    Lunges
    Tricep dips

Each can be modified for your condition at the time (example: I did wall push ups the first time)

Each can also be adjusted to hit another muscle.

Google in youtube and you will find good info. Like with the squats you don't want your knees to go over your toes.

Good luck! Keep up the great work!
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    I really loved the very first Biggest Loser DVD's. I used them back in 2006 to lose some baby weight. If you can find a cheap gym that has spin classes they will melt weight off of you and you have control as to how hard you ride. The lights are usually off in the room, so people kind of zone out. I lost 40 pounds doing that. :-)
  • Hi, I play on the will alot for my exercise and I think you could do the exercises on there without actually having a wii or kinnect if you are committed. I agree the biggest loser is a great game.

If you want maybe I could message you with some routines I do at home that are cost free?
  • When I started I bought 4 DVD's for variety and hand weights. Cost about $40. Pilate's,biggest loser power walk, JM 30 day shred and biggest loser cardio max.

Ah, alright. I hadn't thought of doing a rotation of various dvds; thank you!
    Honestly the best workouts I ever did was with a trainer, on the floor.

Pushups
    Planks
    Squats
    Lunges
    Tricep dips

Each can be modified for your condition at the time (example: I did wall push ups the first time)

Each can also be adjusted to hit another muscle.

Google in youtube and you will find good info. Like with the squats you don't want your knees to go over your toes.

Good luck! Keep up the great work!

Yeah, I'll have to youtube most of those, haha. When I was a kid, I had terrible knees so I was never good with the squatting exercises; thankfully, my knees seem to have gotten better as I've gotten older.

Thank you for the insight!
    I really loved the very first Biggest Loser DVD's. I used them back in 2006 to lose some baby weight. If you can find a cheap gym that has spin classes they will melt weight off of you and you have control as to how hard you ride. The lights are usually off in the room, so people kind of zone out. I lost 40 pounds doing that. :-)

I never thought about spin class much (which is weird since I love biking); I'll see what I can find regarding class in my area (unfortunately, it seems there are only about gyms to choose from that are relatively close to me though that's what I get for living in the middle of nowhere, haha).

I'll have to look into those dvds!
    Hi, I play on the will alot for my exercise and I think you could do the exercises on there without actually having a wii or kinnect if you are committed. I agree the biggest loser is a great game.

If you want maybe I could message you with some routines I do at home that are cost free?

Sure thing; please do feel free.

I actually do have a Wii but it's been in storage for a few months now so I'm not sure if it'll work properly or not; I guess I'll try to dig it out and see! I've been meaning to get Kinect but my fiance doesn't really think it's worth the money in purchasing. =/ Our PS3 just recently hit the dust so maybe I can talk him into getting it now.
  • melzteach
    melzteach Posts: 550 Member
    If you're just starting out I'd try one of the following programs:
    - Turbo Jam
    - Bidy Gospel
    - Slim in 6
    - Rockin' Body
    - 10 minute Trainer
    - Power90
    - Yoga Booty Ballet
    They start at $60 but you get an TON of products. There's even a way to save 25% on your order.

If you're not ready for that you can do interval training. Alternate a few minutes of sprinting with pushups, planks, squats, lunges, and tricep dips. Good luck!
  • jugalots
    jugalots Posts: 4
    Sorry have only just looked back at this post. Have you dug out your wii or managed to get a kinect. I would love one, but with a wii and ps3 we can't afford it especially when the two existing do similar things.

Have you found yourself a routine to follow?
  • sloew
    sloew Posts: 106 Member
    I like the bodyrocker.it. It's a free website with a bunch of diff workouts that are between 12-20 min. It's rough but she does modifications. I don't really care for how they dress or some of the pictures but the workouts are great!

Couch to 5K is also a great program for very beginner runners.