Calories and Exercise Equipment

Options
I am looking into buying a treadmill, eliptical machine or stationary bike. Which one would work more muscle groups and burn more calories?

I don't have much money to spare, so have to choose only one. I know it is best to work different muscle groups as in strength training. But I'd like to get a machine, too. I think it could help a lot.

What do you think? :ohwell:

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Carrie

Replies

• carrierella
    carrierella Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I am looking into buying a treadmill, eliptical machine or stationary bike. Which one would work more muscle groups and burn more calories?

I don't have much money to spare, so have to choose only one. I know it is best to work different muscle groups as in strength training. But I'd like to get a machine, too. I think it could help a lot.

What do you think? :ohwell:

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Carrie
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    Get whichever you will use the most. I think the treadmill is the one most people use the longest.
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    I've used them all at various times in my life. I just read somewhere (maybe here?) that the elliptical doesn't do that much for you since it's not a natural motion. The treadmill is versatile since you can walk or run on it. I own a stationary bike. To really up the intensity and help with more muscles, I wear weighted gloves and arm movements while I bike. It burns more calories that way. So, I guess I would choose between either the treadmill and thebike. Good luck!
  • rowerc2
    rowerc2 Posts: 158
    Options
    I have a C2 Rowing Machine and a Treadmill. The C2 Rowing Machines gives almost as good a cardio workout, it works almost all your muscle groups, you never get sore knees or shins, and your back will thank you.

Consider the rowing machine.