Calories and Exercise Equipment

Options
I am looking into buying a treadmill, eliptical machine or stationary bike. Which one would work more muscle groups and burn more calories?

I don't have much money to spare, so have to choose only one. I know it is best to work different muscle groups as in strength training. But I'd like to get a machine, too. I think it could help a lot.

What do you think? :ohwell:

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Carrie

Replies

• carrierella
    carrierella Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I am looking into buying a treadmill, eliptical machine or stationary bike. Which one would work more muscle groups and burn more calories?

I don't have much money to spare, so have to choose only one. I know it is best to work different muscle groups as in strength training. But I'd like to get a machine, too. I think it could help a lot.

What do you think? :ohwell:

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Carrie
  • amccarville
    amccarville Posts: 185
    Options
    I have all 3 and the eliptical is my FAV!!!!!!!!
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't buy any of them. you can run outside- for FREE. maybe get a real bike... then it's practical, fun AND exercise! I kinda think if you're low on funds you should save the money but that's just my opinion. I don't own any exercise equipement... We can't afford it, but I get plenty of free exercise!:bigsmile:
  • carrierella
    Options
    My issue is I've got 8 kids, and am a full time student. Finding daylight hours to do outdoor exercise is challenging at best. If I had a machine it would help tremendously, as I could utilize it any hour of the day, still be there for/with the kids, and possibly do more than one thing WHILE I am exercising.

Furthermore, after having all these kids, my body couldn't *run* if I wanted to. I walk a few times per day. But I cannot physically jog/run. I have health problems that prevent it.
  • nitag
    nitag Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I have a treadmill, stability ball and free weights.. I love all 3.. I am looking into getting an eliptical but haven't found one yet.. Trying to buy it used... I myself can't afford a gym and being in a rural area am not one to go exercise outside unless someone joins me.. But if I had to opt for one i'd go with the eliptical I think it gives ya a better workout however I don't know what your phyisical limitations are!..
  • Luludog1
    Luludog1 Posts: 119
    Options
    I go to the gym and with all the options, the eliptical is my fav!
  • carrierella
    Options
    How exactly does the eliptical machine work?

My physical limitations aren't severe... just troublesome. I have weak knee joints and no pelvic floor support. The musles in my abdomen are "torn" from so many pregnancies as well so this causes some issues that others do not have to worry about.
  • courtney21
    Options
    I would suggest the elliptical. It is a full body workout. Get one that works your arms too.
  • healthiesthappiestme
    healthiesthappiestme Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I agree that the eliptical is best. It burns a lot of calories, you can gently work you abs while you do it, just by trying to balance yourself without holding on and personally, I think it's the most fun! Aside all that, if money is an issue, see if your local craigslist or freecycle (if you have one) has a cheap or even free(!) machine. That way you could try out whatever and later on could change or upgrade without having invested a lot of cash for the first one. Good luck!
  • taylorgirl
    Options
    Since walking is basicly the one thing most everyone starts with I recommend a treadmill....once you get going it can lead to jogging and then running. I use and enjoy all 3, but find I am able to burn and get more enjoyment and variety from the treadmill especially when you incorporate the incline levels. It's the one equipment I continue to go back to...in as well as outside the gym. Until you're sure if the ellipitcal will be of value to you...start with the basic then add equipment at a later date and time.

I also recommend getting a heart monitor to help keep and maintain an accurate account of the calories you burn.

Most important...Stay encourage ... Don't give up ... And rely on yourself more than the equipment to achieve your goal!