Don't buy BUITONI pasta products

Options
I've bought Buitoni's products a couple of times but each time I weigh the products, they are way under what the label says. For example. A serving is 106 g and the label says it contains "About 2 1/2 servings" but when I weigh it out it comes out to about 200 to 240 g. That's almost a serving under. This happened each time I purchased their products but tonight it came out WAY UNDER. It was 203 g.

Replies

• bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    If you were my grandma, you would write the company and complain that they are misrepresenting their product and they would in turn send you coupons for free stuff. She once counted all of the nuts in a mixed nuts container that said "Less than 25% peanuts". It was over 25% peanuts, so she called them out on it!
  • live4turns
    live4turns Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    If you were my grandma, you would write the company and complain that they are misrepresenting their product and they would in turn send you coupons for free stuff. She once counted all of the nuts in a mixed nuts container that said "Less than 25% peanuts". It was over 25% peanuts, so she called them out on it!

LoL...I tried to. On their package it says "Contact us! www.buitoni.com" but there is no "contact us" tab anywhere on the site. I am going to call their 1-800 number because I've had it with companies taking advantage of consumers.
  • SparksFly460
    Options
    :noway: Bullsh!t. See that really does bother me because not only are they RIPPING us off, it leaves the question of the accuracy of their portion sizes!
  • SparksFly460
    Options
    AHEM also....GO BIG BLUE!!
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options
    Are you weighing before or after cooking? Maybe there's a difference (since it soaks up water). *shrug*
  • Saffyra
    Saffyra Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    How much does the entire package weigh? Is that also innaccurate (the net weight or whatever)? Or is it just the amount of servings thats off?
    And is it already cooked? I have a hard time with figuring out dry pasta servings once i cook it.
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what you're saying. Is it a 12 oz box? Was there less than 340 g in the box?

If you're measuring cups, it's very inaccurate. Dry pasta doesn't pack well. Cooked pasta will have wildly different weights depending on whether it's al dente or mushy.
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options
    I'm not sure what you're saying. Is it a 12 oz box? Was there less than 340 g in the box?

If you're measuring cups, it's very inaccurate. Dry pasta doesn't pack well. Cooked pasta will have wildly different weights depending on whether it's al dente or mushy.

They aren't boxes. They're refrigerated pasta. I'm pretty sure, though, that the weight it refers to as a serving is after cooking weight, which will go up since it will absorb some water and expand a little in the cooking process-though not quite as much as the dried pastas.
  • janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Call the Dept of Weights & Measures to complain and they will check it out.
  • laurabini
    laurabini Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing before or after cooking? Maybe there's a difference (since it soaks up water). *shrug*

this!
  • live4turns
    Options

love the profile pic! G-MEN!!!!!!
  • live4turns
    Options

this!

I always weigh dry or straight out of the package.
  • live4turns
    Options

THANKS!!! I just sent them a message telling them exactly what happened and ended the message with "and I've informed people of this situation on a food Internet forum so they know about your BS." hahhahahahhaa
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I've bought Buitoni's products a couple of times but each time I weigh the products, they are way under what the label says. For example. A serving is 106 g and the label says it contains "About 2 1/2 servings" but when I weigh it out it comes out to about 200 to 240 g. That's almost a serving under. This happened each time I purchased their products but tonight it came out WAY UNDER. It was 203 g.

:angry: truth
  • Laurelje
    Laurelje Posts: 167 Member
    Options

^This! One week from today!
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    Normally measuring info on packages refers to the measurements straight out of the package, before cooking. This is DEFINITELY true of dried pasta, I don't purchase the Buitoni refridgerated pasta very often but I would assume the same would hold true for that type as well. I would weigh it, take some pictures of weighing it (proof LOL), then email the company with said pictures and ask 'is this normal? b/c I feel like I'm getting gypped' and then sit back and wait for coupons to arrive in the mail. I would also state in the email how frustrating it is when you are trying to plan and account for every little thing while losing weight, and that missing such a large amount of the food you paid for is messing with the planning aspect of your diet. LOL
  • live4turns
    Options

^This! One week from today!

YES! A Giant fan from Texas!!! I run into so many freaking Cowboys fans in NYC...
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    You will find this is the case with many products unfortunately.
  • sumnerfan
    sumnerfan Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Let us know what they say.