HRM not showing as many cals burned as usual.

I'm sure this has been asked before, but i searched and couldn't find an answer...so here goes. Lately my HRM (polar ft7) doesn't seem to be reading as many calories as it has in the last couple of weeks. I know the easy answer would be that i'm slacking off but I am working just as hard, even harder at times but it's not showing on the HRM. Has this happened to anyone else? any ideas why?

Replies

• thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    I'm sure this has been asked before, but i searched and couldn't find an answer...so here goes. Lately my HRM (polar ft7) doesn't seem to be reading as many calories as it has in the last couple of weeks. I know the easy answer would be that i'm slacking off but I am working just as hard, even harder at times but it's not showing on the HRM. Has this happened to anyone else? any ideas why?

If you're doing cardio, it is an endurance exercise. The more you do an endurance exercise the better you get at it. The better you get at it the less calories you burn. That's probably it.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member

have you updated your stats? weight? etc. etc. I would agree with the above poster and say that you simply are getting fitter. I own a Polar FT40. 1 hr. walking in the past I'd burn 1400-1600 calories. Now 1 hr I average 500-600. The bigger the mass to expend energy, the more calories it burns. As you get smaller, you just simply burn less.

one thing I just remembered. I did have to replace the strap once. it was my fault as I didn't properly wash the strap as instructed. After a while it would randomly stop tracking and lose my heart rate. The strap developed a rust like smell....yah I know. Once I replaced it with a new one it worked fine again.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member

If you're doing cardio, it is an endurance exercise. The more you do an endurance exercise the better you get at it. The better you get at it the less calories you burn. That's probably it.

^^^^^ This is probably it.

It took me 12 minutes to get my heart beat up to where they could do my stress test last year. The lady says it typically takes an average of between 6 and 9 minutes for most people.

Dont fret, this is, after all, a very good thing! Although I get frustrated that people can exercise half the time and burn twice the calories as me, I consider an active lifestyle that includes a lot of exercise a life long plan.
  • LooseWheel
    LooseWheel Posts: 211 Member
    I have the FT7 too and only recently updated my info on the watch/polar fit website. I had lost 9 kgs and hadn't adjusted it. And now it does feel like i have to work harder to get the same burn. My blood pressure and the average heart rate during fitness is coming down also, so thats got to have a bit to do with it as well. see how you go with updating the info. Maybe change an activity also. Your bady can get used to regular workouts and it becomes easier each time you do them. Best of luck
  • elledo
    elledo Posts: 80
    My details are pretty well up to date. Have only been using this thing for 3 weeks! It's not brand new though- a friend gave it to me after she lost it, brought another one, then found it again.lol at last weigh in i had not lost any but gained 2 kg of muscle. I have been working out hard for a 18 months though maybe it is all just starting to come together.
  • two guesses are all your details up to date on it weight etc and the other idea is are you mixing up your workouts enough ?