Irregular periods related to being overweight?

Options
HI, I am 350lb, 159kg, 5ft 4in, I have really irregular periods, I only really come on every 2 months or so, but I do get the monthly cramps, back ache and PMT, even without the other, is this a weight thing, I am only 35, so I guess I am not menopausal, the doc seems to think it is not weight related, does anyone my weight and age have similar symptoms?

Replies

• cartea01
    cartea01 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Irregular menstruation can absolutely be due to being obese. Fat cells can produce oestrogen thereby tricking your ovaries into thinking you're pregnant and causing irregular periods. Conversely, being overweight is related to insulin resistance and PCOS which also is related to irregular periods. Have you ever been a "healthy weight" and were your periods normal then?
  • samandlucysmum
    Options
    Along time since I was a normal weight, but I did used to have regular periods. My doc did a hormone level blood test, and apparently it is normal.
  • cartea01
    cartea01 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I can't comment without knowing what "hormones" he tested but I'd highly recommend keeping track of your cycle and endeavour with the weight loss. I suspect you'll see a big difference as the kilos come off.
  • samandlucysmum
    Options
    Thanks for your encouragement.
  • newlaura30
    Options
    hi had this problem for a while. it only took me a stone for them to come back to regular hope this helps p.s same thing happens to underweight people x
  • anberlingasm
    Options
    Irregular periods can be caused by being overweight but it's also worth considering Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS). I read somewhere that quite a large proportion of woman have this condition without even realising because they have regular periods (as you once did) but it's a condition that excacerbates weight gain and makes it difficult to lose weight. It's also linked to irregular periods. It might be worth getting checked out, because a different kind of diet suits someone with PCOS than someone without (so you could tailor your diet to your needs better) because it's all to do with controlling your insulin levels.
  • CaitlinFrost
    Options
    I was in yr 7 when I got my first one and I was irregular for the first couple of years. at the end of year 10 i had my last one. I'm in year 13 now and the DR says it is most likely PCOS (Poly Cystic Ovaries), maybe that could be it?
    I know with PCOS you can still get the craps and such?
  • sabyx_is
    Options
    Make an appointment with a gynecologist and get a ultrascan of your ovaries. It might be PCOS, a common hormonal imbalance. It doesn't necessarily show when testing for hormones (e.g. thyroid).
  • zlem
    zlem Posts: 92
    Options
    when I was at my heaviest and very inactive/unfit I would go months without having a period, at one stage I hadn't had it for almost a year. I went to the doctor about it once and they took blood tests and stuff and said it might be PCOS but I never really followed it up.

I started walking occasionally and my periods went back to normal. And had 2 more children =)

Now I have the opposite problem, stupid implanon. One week on, one week off, repeat UGH
  • samandlucysmum
    Options
    I will look into PCOS.
  • OnionCookie
    OnionCookie Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I had the problem when I was at 230, I went months without a period then would have one, then they suddenly quit. When I lost 30 lbs they went back to normal (not saying 30 is a magic number or anything). It definitely can be related to being overweight.
  • arlyn70
    arlyn70 Posts: 55
    Options
    i have the same problem as u, when i gaing weight i didnt have my period for years.. went to the doctor and same as you they said everything is normal, i got my periode taking birth control

last week went with my mom to a chinesse doctor, natutarapeute and he ask me about my weight told him that i can loose maximum 20 pounds and after that was hard..

so he told me u have hormonal imbalance.. he give me some tea.. taste horroble.. 20 in a cup of water and i go to the bathroom many time at nigth i dont know what kind of reaction i will have but will let you know.. after i am on my 3rd day of taking it..
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    My period has been all kinds of odd in my adult years. I started out having a heavy period for the whole 7 days PLUS excruciating cramps, then bam. My periods got erratic, never starting the same days and just.. weird. I THINK it may be weight related, but since I've been on 2 different birth controls, and both temporarily helped, I have no idea what causes it.
  • xSophia19
    xSophia19 Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    Its more than likely to be because of your weight.. My periods are VERY irregular! i get them like 1 every 4 months ish.. Last year i didnt have my period for 6 months, after 3 months of not comeing i immeadiatley thought i was pregnant! Went to the doctors, pregnancy test was negative. Went into hospital for blood tests and all that, and it was all down to me been very overweight for my age!
  • gnrshelton
    gnrshelton Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I would listen to your doctor first. If you are really unsure because you know your body then go to the GYN and see what they say. A second opinion never hurts. On a personal note I do think weight can play a role but diet can also. If you diet is making changes then so can your period. Exercise can play a role also. If you have a lot of stress that will change your period too. There can be lots of factors. I would keep a journal of weight, food and factors going on in your life and take it with you to your doctor. Good luck and hope things get "regular".
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    at my heaviest (330ish), i didn't get my period. i am honestly not sure if i would get it now at my weight (261). i have been on birth control for like, ever, which helps me control my cycle. my doctor told me to stay on the pill, since it will help with having kids later - the whole regular period thing, i mean.

edited to add: i have PCOS/insulin resistance.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Ditto the other comments... get checked for PCOS.
  • TriciaAllen7251
    TriciaAllen7251 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    According to my OB/GYN, Estrogen is stored in fat. When you start losing fat you also lose extra estrogen that can make your periods wacko. Mine have gotten much better since I started losing weight.
  • echoica
    echoica Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    i just had my first regular period in over a year! i am attributing it to my better food intake and current active lifestyle along with losing weight recently. i had almost the same stats as you - 34 years, 5'4", 345 lbs. it is very possible that your lifestyle has contributed to the irregular period as it did mine. best of luck!
  • JannineOwen
    JannineOwen Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    i definitely think irregular periods are related to being overweight for a lot of people, not for everyone though.

i started MFP at 283lbs and was that weight and i'm sure even more at times for over 10yrs, i had very irregular periods for all that time, i would never know when i was going to have one, it could be every few mnths, every few weeks, there was no way of timing it and they could also be very heavy, so heavy that i would be confined to the house, changing every 20 minutes and not able to sleep because of changing so often, they would also last anything between 8-21 days. I also have an underactive thyroid and really thought my period problems were due to that.

since August 2011, i think i was probably around 30lbs down by then i have had a period every single month, always 26-30 days after the last one and they have been ALOT lighter, i have been able to time them and lead a normal life, so yep thats my story so definitely weight related for me.