Not losing...could it be muscle?

Options
Hi all. Over the last 4 weeks I have done really well, exercised 6 days a week and have been under cals net each week. I have lost 2 inches off my waist, 2 inches off my stomach, 1 inch off my hips and .5 inches off each of my thighs.

I feel really good, I feel satisfied but not stuffed during the day and the exercise is giving me more energy. I've also noticed I feel stronger and fitter, my endurance is definitely up, and I've really cut down on takeaways and processed foods from what I was eating before.

However, I've only lost 2 lbs in 4 weeks. Is this normal? I feel like I'm probably gaining muscle due to the inch loss and the fact that I went from exercising 0 times per week to 6 times per week with weights, but I'm starting to get worried that I'm doing something wrong. I don't want to be obsessed with the numbers on the scale, and I'm focussing on being healthy, but still I don't want to think I'm doing well when actually I'm not!

Any thoughts? Thanks all!

Replies

• Jo2926
    Jo2926 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Well done on the inch loss! Keep going and the scale will follow you.

Its unlikely to be muscle build if you are eating a calorie deficit, but your muscle could be holding water as they get used to being used so much! That will drop soon if you keep it up, and I find drinking plenty of water helps too.
  • tangal88
    tangal88 Posts: 689
    Options
    first - the inch loss is great. THIS is always a MUCH better progress indicator then scale weight - always. As muscle is improved it will tighten, and become more dense.

Fat is looser, flabbier and thicker - if fills more space on the body. It makes you "look" heavier, more unfit, fatter - then muscle.

fat-v-muscle.jpg

A number of things are happening here.

Since you are new to working out, and lifting heavy, you are holding weight in the form of water and glycogen stores - this is normal, fine and perfectly OKAY. Your muscles need this to repair, rebuild, and improve. Things are working as they should.

As a new lifter, you can gain some muscle at first, but the amounts will be small, usually closer to something like a pound or two a month. Though it could be a bit more at first, depending on your bodyfat level, genetics and so on. With time that newbie gain tends to taper off.

As your body fat drops, and lifting ability improves, its harder to pack on muscle. Also you are probably currently eating at a lower calorie diet, this also limits amount of muscle growth you can have. You can see improvements in strength, density, and compactness - but are limited on the amount of new muscle poundage you can add from new tissue. So you probably have some, just not large amounts.

The scale cannot accurately tell you what it is measuring, fat, water, glycogen, waste, fluid you drank, water retention from a salty meal the day before, hormonal, or stress bloating and more all register as "pounds" - but you don't know whats waht. So the scale is a poor gauge, if you use it as your only tool.

This article from Chalene helps explain it well:

http://www.dailyspark.com/blog.asp?post=why_the_scale_goes_up_when_you_start_a_new_workout_plan
    By Chalene Johnson

Probably the most common question I get when I release a new exercise program is, "Help! I'm gaining weight! Am I doing something wrong?" This is a common phenomenon with any new exercise program, such as Turbo Kick, Turbo Jam, Hip Hop Hustle, or others! It's especially common (and temporary) with intense strength training programs like ChaLEAN Extreme or Tony Horton's P90X.

The motivation to start a new exercise program is almost always to lose weight. However, what most personal trainers know--and most at-home exercisers do not--is that a new exercise program often can cause an immediate (and temporary) increase on the scale. (Notice I didn't say weight gain! I'll explain.) This common increase in the scale is also the reason why perhaps millions of people start and then quickly quit their resolution to get fit.

The temporary weight gain explained:
    When someone starts a new exercise program, they often experience muscle soreness. The more intense and "unfamiliar" the program, the more intense the muscle soreness. This soreness is most prevalent 24 to 48 hours after each workout. In the first few weeks of a new program, soreness is the body trying to "protect and defend" the effected or targeted tissue. Exercise physiologists refer to this as delayed-onset muscle soreness, or DOMS.

This type of soreness is thought to be caused by tissue breakdown or microscopic tears in muscle tissue. When this happens, the body protects the tissue. The muscle becomes inflamed and slightly swollen due to fluid retention. This temporary retention of fluid can result in a 3- to 4-pound weight gain within a few weeks of a new program. Keep in mind that muscle soreness is not necessarily a reflection of how hard you worked. In fact, some people feel no signs of muscle soreness, yet will experience the muscle protection mechanisms of water retention and slight swelling.

Most people are motivated enough to put up with this temporary muscle soreness. Yet, many, especially those who really need immediate weight loss to keep them motivated, become discouraged and quit!

When I worked with a group of 70 test participants during the development stages of ChaLEAN Extreme, this happened. Who was the most upset and discouraged? You guessed it... the women! I'm happy to report absolutely for every single woman (and man) in our group, the weight increase was temporary and never lasted more than two weeks before they started to see a major drop in the scale. However, these people had the advantage of working with someone who was able to explain to them why this was happening and assure them the weight would come off if they stuck to the nutrition plan and stayed true to the program.

If you follow a multi-phase exercise plan, such as ChaLEAN Extreme, keep in mind that when you start each phase, your body will be "in shock" again. Don't be surprised or discouraged if you experience a temporary gain on the scale the first week of each phase.

My own personal example of this is running 10Ks. I don't do it very often, maybe once or twice a year. Even though I run on a regular basis, when you run a race, you push much harder. It's natural for me to be insanely sore the next day. It’s also very common for me to see the scale jump 4 pounds the next day from forcing fluids post race and the resulting DOMS. Even though I know the cause of it, it's still a bummer. We're all human and hard work should mean results. Hard work equals results, but our bodies are amazing machines and they know how to protect us from hurting ourselves. Soreness forces you to give those muscles a break. Ultimately you will lose the weight and you will change your metabolism in the process.

The key is understanding that this is a normal and temporary and stick with the program!

When to be concerned:
    If you experience a significant weight gain (exceeding 5 pounds) that does not begin to decrease rapidly after the second week, guess what it is? I'll give you one hint... you put it in your mouth and chew it. You know it! Your food (or calorie-laden beverages). News flash, friends… exercise doesn't make you gain weight. Consuming more food than you burn makes you gain weight!

So if after two weeks you are not losing weight and have gained weight that's not coming off, it's time to take a close and honest look at your food intake. Start using SparkPeople's Nutrition Tracker regularly, and be honest.

Moral of the story:
    Be patient young grass hopper. You'll be lean and mean in no time!

Lifting heavy can help you lose excess fat faster, then diet or diet and cardio alone..

See this link.

http://www.womenshealthmag.com/fitness/cardio-vs-strength-training-workouts

I always lose fat much better/faster when I do a combo of heavy lift AND cardio - vs ether alone.

You will also look way better through the process, as you will be tightening as you are losing weight, so you look even better in the process, even if you still have "fat" to lose.

You will minimize loss of lean muscle (as long as you are eating enough protein, and calorie levels are not to low)

You will begin to work on the jiggly bits, and muscle definition early on, making it even easier for you later when you have reached your goal weight.

You will have better inch lose overall then with cardio only or diet and cardio only. So you WILL get slimmer, tighter, and lose clothing sizes. As you condition, improve, and even add muscle - it replaces the fat which is MUCH larger by volume - so you replace it with smaller denser tighter tissue in the same areas,

Scale weight WILL change also, just may not be as quick as you expect - but that does not matter. If you are taking measurements in a number of body areas, at the beginning and throughout your journey, you will see the inch changes. And clothing fit will change as will mirror reflection. :)

So you look better naked. (tighter. leaner, more fit)

You will have continual challenges, that can make the exercise process much funner.

I am at my goal size. I personally am roughly 10-15 pounds heavier (by the scale) then I was at age 22 at this same goal size. BUT I am tighter, leaner, and look much better then I did then. Even tough I weighed less then, I was flabbier, then I am now. But clothing size then, and now are the same. (I am age 47 now)

Heres an example (not me) to help you better grasp the differences fit vs just "skinny"

This girl is the EXACT same weight, first picture is skinny before, second is after she started lifting weights (heavy) - same scale weight.

75153887501416986_Y1GnYQpg_c.jpg

This girl is heavier in her after pict, even though she looks smaller - this is after she started to lift heavy weights.

160933386653912536_Q9O5CANq_c.jpg

And of course Stacy, see her cardio only, vs weight lifting, and the changes in her body, she is 11 pounds heavier in her after picture. Please read her story on the link below, its really informative. (pictures on that link)

Her story here:

http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Normally I'd tell a beginner to stop kidding themselves if they were asking if they gained muscle, but since you've lost inches, I really wouldn't give a crap what the scale said. You should be proud of your accomplishments already!

When we exercise, we tend to hold onto some water weight, so until you've had a rest day, your scale might say you're heavier. You could also retain water due to monthly hormones. Yes, you could have actually gained some muscle.

The scale is only one way to measure progress, and not the most accurate at that. Keep using your tape measure, and take some before and after photos. Put some clothes on and see how they fit. If you're really ambitious, you can go to your local gym and ask a trainer to take some body fat measurements, but I think the tape measure, your pictures and the scale can probably be enough. The scale should never be used alone, though.
  • Iamkim73
    Iamkim73 Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    Tanga... Great info! I needed to read that
  • ladyphoto
    ladyphoto Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the information in the above post! VERY informative- and really helped me - as I am dealing with the same issue. It was nice to read and be reminded that a weight gain is impossible if you are doing everything right. Thanks
  • I came here to post the exact same thing! My jeans have gotten significantly looser, my stomach is flatter and my arms are noticeably more toned. I'm looking great... only the scale hasn't moved in two weeks. I've upped my workouts and now I do one hour of spin 2 or 3 times a week, I run twice a week, I do the elliptical 2 or 3 times a week, I do yoga 3 times a week and have started strength training 3 times a week. I also go on 1.5 hour long power walks with friends in the evenings. I'm ALWAYS under my caloric goal for the day. Yet the damn evil scale stays the same!

It's frustrating because it makes me want to give up... even though I KNOW I look better-and feel better! But it's messing with my mind.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    The scale is my frenemy. I've had weeks where I felt I did amazing, and either gained or didn't move. Other times, I felt like I slacked or slipped up, and I lost. Each body is different in how it will lose weight, but I've found that the time of day/what I'm wearing can effect my scale reading. Also, if you're working out a lot, it could definitely be possible! People say muscle weighs more than fat, which isn't true since a pound is a pound. However, if you have more fat turning into muscle, then that could be a reason. Lastly, TOM, water retention, and plateaus can effect the scale as well. If you're going through a slow loss or plateau, try changing up your workouts! I used to to the same thing everyday, and it got boring and stopped working. Now, I change it up almost everyday! :)

Lastly, don't just use the scale as progress, because it can be disappointing. Some days it says I've gained or haven't moved, and then I can see my loss in other ways like my skin, clothes, other people, etc.

Good Luck and congrats on what you've done so far!
  • velvetkat
    velvetkat Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    when I started losing really really really slowly my trainer had me do carb cycling which was to trick the body into starting the weight loss again. some days are high carbs and very low protein and some are high protein and very low carbs.. if you want more info message me and Ill tell you what I did day by day.. very easy to do if your interested.

Good luck and congrats on your progress so far!
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    first - the inch loss is great. THIS is always a MUCH better progress indicator then scale weight - always. As muscle is improved it will tighten, and become more dense.

Fat is looser, flabbier and thicker - if fills more space on the body. It makes you "look" heavier, more unfit, fatter - then muscle.

fat-v-muscle.jpg

A number of things are happening here.

Since you are new to working out, and lifting heavy, you are holding weight in the form of water and glycogen stores - this is normal, fine and perfectly OKAY. Your muscles need this to repair, rebuild, and improve. Things are working as they should.

As a new lifter, you can gain some muscle at first, but the amounts will be small, usually closer to something like a pound or two a month. Though it could be a bit more at first, depending on your bodyfat level, genetics and so on. With time that newbie gain tends to taper off.

As your body fat drops, and lifting ability improves, its harder to pack on muscle. Also you are probably currently eating at a lower calorie diet, this also limits amount of muscle growth you can have. You can see improvements in strength, density, and compactness - but are limited on the amount of new muscle poundage you can add from new tissue. So you probably have some, just not large amounts.

The scale cannot accurately tell you what it is measuring, fat, water, glycogen, waste, fluid you drank, water retention from a salty meal the day before, hormonal, or stress bloating and more all register as "pounds" - but you don't know whats waht. So the scale is a poor gauge, if you use it as your only tool.

This article from Chalene helps explain it well:

http://www.dailyspark.com/blog.asp?post=why_the_scale_goes_up_when_you_start_a_new_workout_plan
    By Chalene Johnson

Probably the most common question I get when I release a new exercise program is, "Help! I'm gaining weight! Am I doing something wrong?" This is a common phenomenon with any new exercise program, such as Turbo Kick, Turbo Jam, Hip Hop Hustle, or others! It's especially common (and temporary) with intense strength training programs like ChaLEAN Extreme or Tony Horton's P90X.

The motivation to start a new exercise program is almost always to lose weight. However, what most personal trainers know--and most at-home exercisers do not--is that a new exercise program often can cause an immediate (and temporary) increase on the scale. (Notice I didn't say weight gain! I'll explain.) This common increase in the scale is also the reason why perhaps millions of people start and then quickly quit their resolution to get fit.

The temporary weight gain explained:
    When someone starts a new exercise program, they often experience muscle soreness. The more intense and "unfamiliar" the program, the more intense the muscle soreness. This soreness is most prevalent 24 to 48 hours after each workout. In the first few weeks of a new program, soreness is the body trying to "protect and defend" the effected or targeted tissue. Exercise physiologists refer to this as delayed-onset muscle soreness, or DOMS.

This type of soreness is thought to be caused by tissue breakdown or microscopic tears in muscle tissue. When this happens, the body protects the tissue. The muscle becomes inflamed and slightly swollen due to fluid retention. This temporary retention of fluid can result in a 3- to 4-pound weight gain within a few weeks of a new program. Keep in mind that muscle soreness is not necessarily a reflection of how hard you worked. In fact, some people feel no signs of muscle soreness, yet will experience the muscle protection mechanisms of water retention and slight swelling.

Most people are motivated enough to put up with this temporary muscle soreness. Yet, many, especially those who really need immediate weight loss to keep them motivated, become discouraged and quit!

When I worked with a group of 70 test participants during the development stages of ChaLEAN Extreme, this happened. Who was the most upset and discouraged? You guessed it... the women! I'm happy to report absolutely for every single woman (and man) in our group, the weight increase was temporary and never lasted more than two weeks before they started to see a major drop in the scale. However, these people had the advantage of working with someone who was able to explain to them why this was happening and assure them the weight would come off if they stuck to the nutrition plan and stayed true to the program.

If you follow a multi-phase exercise plan, such as ChaLEAN Extreme, keep in mind that when you start each phase, your body will be "in shock" again. Don't be surprised or discouraged if you experience a temporary gain on the scale the first week of each phase.

My own personal example of this is running 10Ks. I don't do it very often, maybe once or twice a year. Even though I run on a regular basis, when you run a race, you push much harder. It's natural for me to be insanely sore the next day. It’s also very common for me to see the scale jump 4 pounds the next day from forcing fluids post race and the resulting DOMS. Even though I know the cause of it, it's still a bummer. We're all human and hard work should mean results. Hard work equals results, but our bodies are amazing machines and they know how to protect us from hurting ourselves. Soreness forces you to give those muscles a break. Ultimately you will lose the weight and you will change your metabolism in the process.

The key is understanding that this is a normal and temporary and stick with the program!

When to be concerned:
    If you experience a significant weight gain (exceeding 5 pounds) that does not begin to decrease rapidly after the second week, guess what it is? I'll give you one hint... you put it in your mouth and chew it. You know it! Your food (or calorie-laden beverages). News flash, friends… exercise doesn't make you gain weight. Consuming more food than you burn makes you gain weight!

So if after two weeks you are not losing weight and have gained weight that's not coming off, it's time to take a close and honest look at your food intake. Start using SparkPeople's Nutrition Tracker regularly, and be honest.

Moral of the story:
    Be patient young grass hopper. You'll be lean and mean in no time!

Lifting heavy can help you lose excess fat faster, then diet or diet and cardio alone..

See this link.

http://www.womenshealthmag.com/fitness/cardio-vs-strength-training-workouts

I always lose fat much better/faster when I do a combo of heavy lift AND cardio - vs ether alone.

You will also look way better through the process, as you will be tightening as you are losing weight, so you look even better in the process, even if you still have "fat" to lose.

You will minimize loss of lean muscle (as long as you are eating enough protein, and calorie levels are not to low)

You will begin to work on the jiggly bits, and muscle definition early on, making it even easier for you later when you have reached your goal weight.

You will have better inch lose overall then with cardio only or diet and cardio only. So you WILL get slimmer, tighter, and lose clothing sizes. As you condition, improve, and even add muscle - it replaces the fat which is MUCH larger by volume - so you replace it with smaller denser tighter tissue in the same areas,

Scale weight WILL change also, just may not be as quick as you expect - but that does not matter. If you are taking measurements in a number of body areas, at the beginning and throughout your journey, you will see the inch changes. And clothing fit will change as will mirror reflection. :)

So you look better naked. (tighter. leaner, more fit)

You will have continual challenges, that can make the exercise process much funner.

I am at my goal size. I personally am roughly 10-15 pounds heavier (by the scale) then I was at age 22 at this same goal size. BUT I am tighter, leaner, and look much better then I did then. Even tough I weighed less then, I was flabbier, then I am now. But clothing size then, and now are the same. (I am age 47 now)

Heres an example (not me) to help you better grasp the differences fit vs just "skinny"

This girl is the EXACT same weight, first picture is skinny before, second is after she started lifting weights (heavy) - same scale weight.

75153887501416986_Y1GnYQpg_c.jpg

This girl is heavier in her after pict, even though she looks smaller - this is after she started to lift heavy weights.

160933386653912536_Q9O5CANq_c.jpg

And of course Stacy, see her cardio only, vs weight lifting, and the changes in her body, she is 11 pounds heavier in her after picture. Please read her story on the link below, its really informative. (pictures on that link)

Her story here:

http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

WOW, I love this!!!!
  • KellyBgetsfit
    KellyBgetsfit Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    so glad I found this post! I know it's not just the scale that matters but it is frustrating when it doesn't move. My pants fit better and I can see a difference in my legs but the scale has not changed much. Thank you for the advice.
  • IMDABOMBthe0wife0DABEAST
    Options
    bump. I needed this information. I started adding more strength training recently and the scale is not moving. I hope in the next couple of weeks that I see more definition and maybe the scale will move again as well.
  • Kelwalks4
    Kelwalks4 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for sharing. I am encouraged. After an awesome week and feeling good, I am up 2 lbs. I was shocked! I see there are a few different possibilities, and although I don't know which one is effecting me, I will stick with what I am doing.... for a couple more weeks. If I am still having a stall, or worse another gain, I will reevaluate my food.

I am intrigued by lifting heavy but I get very sore joints. I don't think I can do it.
  • Jo2926
    Jo2926 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I am intrigued by lifting heavy but I get very sore joints. I don't think I can do it.

You can do it! But remember heavy is relative, my heavy is most people's light to medium, but I still get the same benefits.
  • love4leon
    love4leon Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    This is great information. I haven't lost a pound since going from no exercise/diet to now running 5 miles 3 times a week, biking, and doing 30 day shred. I am getting toned, but after 6 months I still haven't lost any weight. I was thinking about decreasing my calories, and I might- but part of me knows it is the type of food I eat too... I think I look good, I'm enjoying food- so I might wait it out and see if the weight comes off in a few more months. I don't want to stress about the food and I don't want to worry about the weight. i just want to feel healthy and happy even though when I get weighed at the Dr. it is a bit discouraging. That is the only time I get weighed though!
  • myopus
    myopus Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Thank you, Tangal88 - boy, did I need this :)
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Hi all. Over the last 4 weeks I have done really well, exercised 6 days a week and have been under cals net each week. I have lost 2 inches off my waist, 2 inches off my stomach, 1 inch off my hips and .5 inches off each of my thighs.

Any thoughts? Thanks all!

How is THAT not losing???
  • tataliciousd89
    Options
    Don't pay any attention to the scale if the inches are comming off. You probably are retaining a little extra water in your muscles and yes could be adding some on as well. The number on the scale isn't going up so that is a good thing. Measurements are better for figuring fat loss anyways.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Actually YES!
    You are doing GREAT -- congratulations.:drinker:
    The scale is but one measure of success. You might benefit tracking bodyfat as well.
    Here for free: http://www.scientificpsychic.com/fitness/diet.html

Just keep doing what you are doing, because it's working.
  • gracienkaidens_momma
    Options
    Those pictures are amazing!!! Thanks for sharing!!
  • fatty2fabby
    fatty2fabby Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    bump