Exercise limitations due to age and health. Advice?

Options
In my younger years I was an exercise "rock star". I did it all and loved the part of my day that included exercise. I am now 58 years old. I have suffered a stroke several years ago ( no major deficits due to the stroke anymore ) I have lupus and severe joint pain and almost total lack of flexibility. I AM able to walk and love walking outdoors for the physical and emotional joy I get. However, I am in Chicago and that is not always an option in the winter. I used to swim, but that has gotten more difficult as well. Not to mention the cost of joining a club or YMCA and the time constraints. I have looked at several workout videos and just can't seem to find one that will be gentle enough for me but give me the positive results I am craving. I have used resistance bands and some light weights, but the basic floor exercises/calisthenics don't seem to hold much merit when it comes to cardio and calories burned/ Can anyone suggest a mild, low level beginner video or routine for me. I have attempted some light yoga in the past, but never stuck with it. I am just kind of lost, maybe I am toooooo old for this. Hope not.

Replies

• fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    First of all, ask your doctor! I have no idea what it is like to have lupus or have had a stroke, so I can't really advise you on what you can and cannot do.

Secondly, if walking is fun, you can put your boots on and tromp around in the snow. You can get a treadmill. There are lots of ways to modify your workouts for winter. Don't let the yucky Midwestern winters bring you down! I know that's easier said than done. Just do what you can and try to have fun with it.
  • JoniBologna
    JoniBologna Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Yes, please ask a doctor. Dealing with conditions as serious as that, it is not ideal to ask a bunch of unqualified strangers for advice. Take care.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Leslie Sansone has some very popular and safe 'indoor walking' videos. Check out collagevideo.com - they sell nothing but fitness videos. You'll be able to read reviews, watch clips and get detailed descriptions of all the workouts they sell.
  • KLWELL400
    Options
    First of all, ask your doctor! I have no idea what it is like to have lupus or have had a stroke, so I can't really advise you on what you can and cannot do.

Secondly, if walking is fun, you can put your boots on and tromp around in the snow. You can get a treadmill. There are lots of ways to modify your workouts for winter. Don't let the yucky Midwestern winters bring you down! I know that's easier said than done. Just do what you can and try to have fun with it.

this and I use my Wii game machine and a walking game that you walk to music. Walk it Out for Wii is a blast, the songs keep you motivated and there are settings from easy to expert. But please Ask your doctor first. God Bless and good luck.
  • tinacc1
    tinacc1 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Hi rumsuk8!
    I hear ya! I'm 44 and I've had fibromyalgia for 20+ years. Everything hurts, all the time and I'm tired, all the time. I hate snow, so outside isn't an option for me this winter. I have 35 lbs to lose, so I bought a Tony Little Gazelle. No impact, not to much bending for the joints. It seriously works for me. I burn apx 285 calories in 35 mins. You can go at whatever speed works for you. Really leisurlly pace or a jog, if you can manage it. I am also joining Aquasize tonight at the public pool. I am so afraid that I won't be here for my girls (ages 19 and 10) that I have to get serious about this weight loss. I'm the yo-yo type. Took off 35 lbs about a year and a half ago, dislocated my hip (thanks to the fibro) then gained 40 back in 4 months. Now it's an entire lifestyle change, but the Gazelle is the only exercise I can really manage yet. Everyone else I know is on the Zumba kick, but I took 1 class and nearly died (mostly from embarassment because I looked ridiculous!) If you want to add me for support, go ahead. I'm new here, this is Day 10 for me. I love this site, and for the most part, the people here are great. I have to agree with the previous posts, yes, check with your doctor as well. Mine wasn't much help to me, but yours may be great! We're all in this together! Good luck my friend. :flowerforyou:
  • Start with your doctor. Ask for a referral to physical therapy--they'll be able to set up a program (both cardio and weights) that you can do at home. Remember that many "senior centers" have affordable gym options. The Y also is able to offer scholarships for folks with limited resources. Check out the book Strong Women Stay Young by Pam Peake. It has strength training options that are accessible. And I like the Leslie Sansone videos. Remember, your library has a ton of resources and options for getting those resources to you.
  • rumsuck8
    rumsuck8 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone. After going through so much, I would never dream of asking advice from people going through the same issues as me, WITHOUT consulting my doctors first!!! I am clear to do whatever I can do comfortably. I know I am not the only person with physical limitations . I will look into the options that were presented. @ TinaCC I will look into the Tony Little Gazelle, I don't know what that is, it sound wonderful and I wish you continued strength with your fibromyalgia.......I too have experienced that pain. Becky, thank you for the great book recomendation, I will read it. Thanks to everyone for replying and success to all!
  • withervein
    withervein Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    You might consider Tai Chi if your doc approves. It improves range of motion, focus on balance and breathing. It's excellent as a rehabilitative martial art as well. I would recommend that you take a class you can commit to for at least 4 months, however. If you can only go occasionally, you will likely find it difficult to really get into it. It takes a lot of muscle memory to get to the point where you can practice on your own. A full cycle has lots and lots of moves and it takes a while to get it all memorized.

If you are looking for more intensity, you might consider using a rowing ergometer. There is little-to-no impact on the joints and the machine will work you as hard as you are willing to work. It's a full body exercise and great for improving your cardiovascular health. My father rowed on one every day until he died. He loved it. It's in my basement now and I jump on it for sprints or when I can't get to my kickboxing classes.
  • mcolander
    Options
    I broke my back and have limitations, too. I bought an in-expensive and easy to fold recumbant bike from Walgreens web site. It was only $120.00. I can do this while watching television or reading, it gets my heart rate up. I'm not getting into rock star shape but it is helping me whittle my middle and legs down.
  • rumsuck8
    rumsuck8 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    YAY! I tried to order the Leslie Sansone Walk at Home video years ago on an infomercial and ended up hanging up on them!! Now I found one locally for $13!!!! Getting it this afternoon and doing a few miles today! I feel better already. Will look into the Tai Chi too.......THANK YOU ALL.! Hopeful again. My husband is happy now too.