Help for eating out!

Options
2»

Replies

• HelloRevvie
    Options
    Here's my opinion. :)
    I'm always going out with friends at night or going out to eat. Typically, if I know I am going out to eat, I eat smaller, lighter meals during the day and so I have plenty of calories left for me to eat something delicious when I go out. It's a lifestyle change, not a diet. (in my opinion). I believe it is perfectly fine to eat out and enjoy yourself as long as you don't overdo it and as long as it doesn't become an everyday thing.
  • monalissanne
    monalissanne Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I can usually find a grilled chicken dish wherever I go. I just ask for whatever comes on top of it to be put on the side. Or you could get chicken fajitas and eat the chicken and the veggies. Maybe ask to just have them give you the veggies that come with it raw instead of frying them up? Finding a soup is usually not too terrible, but you have to watch out because some of them put cheese and masa in the soup which really ups the calories.

The hidden calories in restaurant food are ridiculous. I've looked stuff up after the fact and thought (i.e. screamed with rage inside my head), "How can that have that many calories?!" because when I make it at home it is about a 1/3 of their version. My rule of thumb for logging food when I have eaten out at a place that doesn't publish nutrition content is to find the worst (nutritional) version on MFP and just assume that is what I ate.
  • beckylawrence70
    beckylawrence70 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    To be honest, going to a Mexican restaurant will practically kill all ur calories for the day, bottom line, sorry.
  • DBiddle69
    DBiddle69 Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    My easy meal for our local Mexican restaurant is Bistec A La Mexicana with rice, refried beans and a small guacamole salad.which comes to about 500 calories....this is without the tortilla wraps. I never get the tortilla wraps because of the calories they have.
    Depending on my workout I also can add a serving of chips and salsa.

As for the different rices...I always selected the item with the highest calories....this way no matter what I never under-estimate my calories for the meal.

As was suggested...this could be your free day...mine is usually Saturday night when we have friends over for card/movie night. I do not worry about what I eat for the evening because of the little things I do over the week e.g., over estimate calories, burn extra in exercise, etc.
  • irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Another thing to consider is getting an extra good workout that day so that you have extra calories to use on your dinner!
  • amazon75
    amazon75 Posts: 165
    Options
    I went out a couple of weeks ago for mexican and debated forever what I would eat.

I ended up ordering a la carte - 2 grilled shrimp crunchy tacos, cooked in no oil, lettuce only. An order of refried beans, no cheese and I only ate half. A side of pico de gallo to go along with the salsa I added to my tacos. Also, I'd eaten light the rest of the day just in case. I was pleasantly suprised at how full I was.
  • dovesgate
    dovesgate Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    How about Camarones al Mojo de Ajo? It's shrimp in garlic sauce (butter or olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper, lime) and usually comes with refried beans and rice.

No matter what you get, try to work out during the day so you have plenty of calories for dinner, eat light during the day, and put half of whatever you do decide to have into a to-go box. You may even have enough left over for chips and salsa or tortillas.