Discouraged....

Options
I have been trying to lose the same 5 pounds for 2 months - losing a pound here, gaining it there. I am at a healthy weight but would like to get off the 5 pounds that I put on since September.

I work out a lot and eat pretty well, but I do eat dessert every night - it's the one thing that has helped me keep off the 60 pounds I lost 25 years ago. ;)

I do cardio workouts for about 90-120 minutes a day, and burn about 900-1200 calories according to my heart rate monitor. I don't eat all of those calories back and I don't really want to if I don't have to. I eat until I'm done and I feel like I eat quite a bit. Yesterday, for example, I ran 8.5 miles and then did an hour master spin class, for a total burn of 1500 calories. This morning I am 2 pounds up. Is it retained water? I didn't overeat yesterday - how can I fluctuate constantly up and down the same 2 pounds, without going down over time?

Any hints or ideas? I might try give up my 1 - 1 1/2 glass of wine for the month of February to see if that helps. I could also add strength training as I only do cardio right now (plus the 100 push-up challenge).

I would love any advice or encouragement you may have.

thanks!

Replies

• 0PhAtDaDdY
    0PhAtDaDdY Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    You r probably over working out and ya body AIN'T letting go of nuttin..Slow down on the cardio and watch the calories. you r in da RUT and ya body knows it....
  • pmaxson
    pmaxson Posts: 137
    Options
    hmm. Sounds like it's worth trying. Thanks!!!:smile:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Unless you're a professional athlete in training, I think 2 hours of daily exercise is overkill.

How about forgetting about the number on the scale and focusing on body composition? My weight has gone up about five pound with a combination going on maintenance and revving up my strength training, but according to how my clothes fit and how I look in photos, I'm smaller than I was at a lighter weight.
  • pmaxson
    pmaxson Posts: 137
    Options
    Good points. You're both right. I'll cut back this week. I don't usually intend to work out that much - it just happens - a great spin instructor is giving a class, someone asks me to do something, blah blah blah. I need to be more mindful about it for awhile.
    Thank you!