I had my first cheat day... and I feel really guilty

Options
Today i had the norm-- cereal, apple, yogurt, turkey wrap, chicken salad.....but then its daddy's birthday and they brought out the chocolate peanut butter cake. I had one slice adn believe i went over my calories by 300. Should i feel guilty about it and will it be a setback?

Replies

• ocean26
    ocean26 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Today i had the norm-- cereal, apple, yogurt, turkey wrap, chicken salad.....but then its daddy's birthday and they brought out the chocolate peanut butter cake. I had one slice adn believe i went over my calories by 300. Should i feel guilty about it and will it be a setback?
  • porka29
    porka29 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    don't feel guilty! get back on the horse tomorrow and really, 300 cals, we're not talking 1200 extra cals. Be glad it was only one slice and roll with it.
  • sonia2
    sonia2 Posts: 154
    Options
    remember, it takes 3500 cals to gain 1 pound. you only went over 300!
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Don't feel guilty....there will always be birthdays and holidays and celebrating....if you skip out on all those things, will it really be enjoyable to be skinny if it means never having any fun in life?

Get back on the horse tomorrow....next time you know there is something that could cause you to go over, try working out a little extra that day to give yourself a cushion. But otherwise, it's one day, don't worry about it too much.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    just curious...every single replyalways says tomorrow,,,tomorrow,,,why not do something about going over cals right now? today?

why always wait until tomorrow?
  • eskimotagge
    Options
    Don't feel guilty....I have always heard that one cheat day is okay in moderation! Good Luck!
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    No you shouldnt feel guilty but of course anything we put in our mouths that contain calories is a "setback" of sorts thats why we choose foods that fuel our body..with that said its not realistic to think EVERY item we put in will be sugar,fat etc etc Free..But if your having a guilty feeling you definately should take a brisk walk or do some crunches..anything to get your mind back where it was prior to eating the cake......also I think you feel guilty because you consider it a "cheat day" try not doing that if u want cake have cake just have a few bites and push the plate aside......
  • July
    July Posts: 239
    Options
    Don't feel guilty. Get back on the horse. You were honest with yourself - that's good!
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Don't feel guilty. Get back on the horse. You were honest with yourself - that's good!
  • iftcheiaf
    iftcheiaf Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    This is a lifestyle more than a diet. So you have to be allowed to live a little now and again. As long as you know that it was a treat and not the norm, then enjoy every savory bite.
  • marc4
    marc4 Posts: 79
    Options
    I agree with you Dave198.

Two things:

1. I knew that we were having pizza tonight for dinner (pizza hut) so I WENT BACK to the gym and repeated my routine from this morning.....I'm not great at denying myself so I took care of it TODAY!

2. I was doing extremely well, no cheat days, not even a temptation, then we went away for a hockey tournament (my boys) and I haven't been able to stay on track completely food wise. As far as excercise goes I burn at least 1000 cals per day.

I need my motivation back........:cry:

Kelly
  • xbonbonx
    xbonbonx Posts: 170
    Options
    don't feel guilty! 300 calories over is not a big deal. and you need to cheat every once in a [great] while to keep your sanity... at least in my opinion.
  • ddavis83
    ddavis83 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Don't feel guilty about it. I over ate by around 500 cals on Sunday. Sundays is the day I allow myself a treat.

If you are too strict on the diet, it will become boring and mundane, you have to have things to look forward to and Sundays is my day!

I must admit I sometimes add a bit longer onto my workouts the following week though (not all the time though) :tongue:
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    The beauty of logging your food on MFP is that you can do something about it BEFORE you put it in your mouth. If you still feel guilty about the cheat treat, take your frustrations out in the gym.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I have made it 9 months, 30 pounds and 100 less cholesterol points by doing it one MINUTE at a time.

Used to be if I had something I knew I shouldnt I would go into a cycle.

Eat, guilt, then eat the guilt.

Now I just have a peice of cake. PERIOD. For dinner I have my salad and I go to the gym (or walk, or dance, or squats, or jumping jacks!) for the extra calories.

This is about change. There is no way I am living the rest of my life w/o a peice of birthday cake............I just dont eat it every day.

:flowerforyou:
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    Why do you feel guilty? This is a lifestyle not a diet. Treating yourself once in a while, I think is part of a healthy lifestyle. If we always deny ourselves I think we will fail. Just don't go overboard. And since you only had one piece and only went over by 300 cals, I don't think you did anything wrong. In fact, I think you did exactly what you should have done. You celebrated your dad's birthday :happy:

No need to feel guilty, plus guilt isn't constructive. Also, I've heard having a treat once in a while is good for your body, helps keep it guessing and can be good for your metabolism.

So you can have your cake and eat it too....:flowerforyou:
  • GIBride01
    GIBride01 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Why do you feel guilty? This is a lifestyle not a diet. Treating yourself once in a while, I think is part of a healthy lifestyle. If we always deny ourselves I think we will fail. Just don't go overboard. And since you only had one piece and only went over by 300 cals, I don't think you did anything wrong. In fact, I think you did exactly what you should have done. You celebrated your dad's birthday :happy:

No need to feel guilty, plus guilt isn't constructive. Also, I've heard having a treat once in a while is good for your body, helps keep it guessing and can be good for your metabolism.

So you can have your cake and eat it too....:flowerforyou:

I agree, why think of it as 'cheating' vs celebrating your dads bday and moving on to the next day. Making food all about good vs bad isin't healthy either IMO. I always liked the stoplight analogy for foods
    Green light - good to go all the time, fruits, veggies, lean meat and dairy
    Yellow light- proceed with caution - higher fat meats, dairy
    Red light - stop and think - chocolate peanut butter cake on a special persons Bday!
    :flowerforyou: