Eating my exercise calories

Options
If my daily calorie allowance is 1800 and I burn 500 exercising, should I eat the extra calories or still use 1800 as my guide?

Replies

• HedgeFSU
    HedgeFSU Posts: 4
    Options
    If my daily calorie allowance is 1800 and I burn 500 exercising, should I eat the extra calories or still use 1800 as my guide?
  • July
    July Posts: 239
    Options
    Lots said on this one.
    First, don't go below your basic metabolic rate.
    Second, if you're not hungry, I wouldn't dip into them - calories equals weight. Studies have shown that weight loss is connected more to calorie intake than to exercise. If you think about it, you may be tired after exercising and just sit on the couch, not moving around or cleaning, so you're not burning 500 more calories than your daily norm. They say that 30% of our calories are burned from normal, non-exercise, non-body function activity, and this may decrease if you're exercising.

If you're hungry, try eating a little.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Some people eat them and some dont..both sides have success....some choose to eat only a portion of them..my suggestion is find what works for you..I personally dont eat them but if I was hungry I would dip into them.:drinker:
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    yes you should, especially since you're working on your less 5 lbs, you need to make sure you're fueling your body. Just be sure about how much you're burning, and you'll still lose weight. I lost 64 lbs eating my exercise calories.
  • spoiledhorse
    spoiledhorse Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    yes you should, especially since you're working on your less 5 lbs, you need to make sure you're fueling your body. Just be sure about how much you're burning, and you'll still lose weight. I lost 64 lbs eating my exercise calories.
    :bigsmile: Wow! That's terrific...and such an inspiration!
    I generally eat some of my exercise calories, but rarely all of them. I've lost ten pounds this way, and am working on the next ten...and then the next, etc.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,977 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: Wow! That's terrific...and such an inspiration!
    I generally eat some of my exercise calories, but rarely all of them. I've lost ten pounds this way, and am working on the next ten...and then the next, etc.

I ate em all. All the time. I lost 47 pounds in 7-8 months. If you are close to your goal weight it is even more important to eat your "exercise calories." You are at almost maintenance calories at your current weight anyway.
  • HedgeFSU
    HedgeFSU Posts: 4
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragment and advice!!!
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I don't eat mine, at least not on purpose.... :laugh:

For one thing, I don't trust the read-outs on the machines or the formulas online. It's a good thing too, because I just got a HRM and it says I'm burning less than I thought. If I'd been eating them, I'd have been over-eating.