A running question

Options
Hi everyone,

So I have been running for sometime now. I started with a walk around the block and I am now training for my 1st half marathon.

My weekly runs are 8km 3times a week and a 15km long run once a week. My question is, I have noticed that as I am becoming more and more fit, I have cut about 20min off my weekly runs a day. I would like to find out what can I do now with that time?I have also noticed that when I am finished I am not as tired as I used to be. I dont have a HRM, but im worried I might not be burning as much calories as I used to. Do I increase my distance to fill the "improved"times? I am still pretty over weight. I still want to lose more weight, though I dont run because I wanna lose weight,the side effects are highly appreciated.

Replies

• JacquiC72
    JacquiC72 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    How about adding some ankle weights?
  • Picola1984
    Picola1984 Posts: 1,133
    Options
    Find some hills! I'm lucky and live in an area with long and slow inclines and steep beasts of roads which really get the heart rate up
  • CallmeSbo
    CallmeSbo Posts: 611 Member
    Options

Thats a great idea, but unfortunately i cant afford to buy anything right :-(
  • CallmeSbo
    Options
    Find some hills! I'm lucky and live in an area with long and slow inclines and steep beasts of roads which really get the heart rate up

mmmm this is great. I will change my route to a more hilly area. The area i live in has a few but not so challenging. I guess im also used to them now.
  • sarahmaryfearnley
    sarahmaryfearnley Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I would try doing intervals on your short run days. Stop every 2-3km and do lunges or squats or push ups against trees. You can burn up some of that extra time and strength train at the same time.
  • CallmeSbo
    Options
    I would try doing intervals on your short run days. Stop every 2-3km and do lunges or squats or push ups against trees. You can burn up some of that extra time and strength train at the same time.

Love that idea.
  • DiannaMoorer
    DiannaMoorer Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    When is your half? Are you increasing your distances each week to follow a training plan?
  • jcr85
    jcr85 Posts: 229
    Options

Don't use ankle weights it will cause more harm than good. If your training for a marathon why don't you look up some training routines and follow those.
  • omg nooo ankle weights are a horrible horrible idea for running OR walking! they cause you to strike your feet completely unnatural and can cause injuries! they arent worth the risk... definitely start adding distance and hills!
  • DiannaMoorer
    DiannaMoorer Posts: 783 Member
    Options

Don't use ankle weights it will cause more harm than good. If your training for a marathon why don't you look up some training routines and follow those.

Yes, I agree. The only time you should use ankle weights are when you are doing strength exercises on the flour like leg lifts.
  • Dustinryan24
    Dustinryan24 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    i probably wouldnt do that.. last summer, i thought it would be a good idea to add a 40 lb weight vest to my runs.. it was pretty hard on my body, and i would just stay away from that idea. lol

im pretty sure extreme cardio helped me improve my times last summer... if you're always running the same trail, try running harder for an entire song once you hit certain spots on your run.. or if you have hills during your run, try and sprint the hills..

great job improving your times.. youre not getting any less of a workout for finishing sooner.. ive had 20 minute interval runs where i busted my *kitten*, and ive been more sore than an 8 mile run..
  • CallmeSbo
    Options
    When is your half? Are you increasing your distances each week to follow a training plan?

My half is Feb 25th..I do have two beginners plan i downloaded online. But the distances on the plan are distances i have been doing already, except for the long runs exceeding 15km.
  • taramaureen
    taramaureen Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I highly suggest following a training plan if you're training for a half marathon. It will keep you on track and will gradually increase your distance. Also adding hills is an excellent idea. I start out most of my runs with hills then go to a more flat area.
  • CallmeSbo
    Options
    Thank you for the warnings about ankle weights. I wont go near them at any time.

On the 12week trainin plans i have, distance is the same from week 6 except for long runs. I am currently on week 9. Also, before i decided doing this half, i was already running those distances.
  • taramaureen
    taramaureen Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Well, the thing is, you're SUPPOSED to be able to run the shorter distances (3-4 miles, about 5kms) before you start training for a half. That's your base, you're building on your base you know? The longer runs are supposed to gradually get longer as you go but the week day runs are supposed to be about the same, keeping up with your base ( I think the weekday runs at most get to 5 miles, or just under 10kms). I hope I explained that right. I'm currently starting week 9 of my half training programe (Hal Higdon's Half for novice one) and it's just helped me stay on track is all. IDK I feel more comfortable staying with something that I know works rather than trying it on my own. But that's just me :flowerforyou:
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    Assuming you are injury free and not feeling burnt out already, I would add in some shorter distance speed training. It gives you more bang for your buck compared to long steady-state running, and It will work wonders on your overall pace on race day.