do your lower abs take longer to tone?

Options
im new to working out, i have been at it for three weeks now. im starting to see some definition in the upper part of my stomach. its a line going down the center. anyways my lower stomach still is looking the same. is it normal for your upper stomach to tone before the lower part? i keep thinking the top half of my stomach is going to be tight and toned and the lower part is going to stay soft and fluffy. lol

Replies

• purpletrillium
    Options
    I had the same thing happen. You'll probably find the sides of your abdomen will tighten next. The only horrible thing is that it makes the lower abdomen look even worse! But it's progress. From the pics on MFP of success stories, your lower abs will shrink, it just takes time.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    It's the same muscle, it's just that the fat on your lower abdomen is the last to go.
  • TiffaniBarrett
    TiffaniBarrett Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is the same muscle - so don't be fooled into thinking there are 2 muscles there!

The lower 'tummy' section is the last to go (lame) - I measured myself 2 weeks ago, and I have lost an inch from my waist and an inch from below my bust line... and nothing from my belly section at the moment, proving exactly that!

Just keep at it - it WILL happen! xx
  • duharvalgt
    Options
    It's the same muscle, it's just that the fat on your lower abdomen is the last to go.

^this
  • holeshottdr
    holeshottdr Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Yep. Dedication and patients.
  • BaDaSsBrUnEtTe
    BaDaSsBrUnEtTe Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I will keep working at it then!
  • Ness987
    Options
    that happened to me,,wen i had my last daughter, my worked out everyday and the upper part of my stomach got all toned and u see some ab thing there lol, the bottom part however took more time to work..i dont know why..if u figure out the secret, lemme know lol
  • addisondisease
    addisondisease Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    that happened to me,,wen i had my last daughter, my worked out everyday and the upper part of my stomach got all toned and u see some ab thing there lol, the bottom part however took more time to work..i dont know why..if u figure out the secret, lemme know lol

The secret is in the last few comments, or do some research.
  • Ness987
    Options
    oo ok thank u

The secret is in the last few comments, or do some research.
  • Picola1984
    Picola1984 Posts: 1,133
    Options
    I made a similar topic! Just all over toning work and cardio was the main responses

No other trick to it really, just persevere

I am slowly seeing my rounded shape of the lower stomach match to the more toned upper