Hints to fall in love with exercise?

Options
Hello! I am Cassandra, I am 22 and live in Maine and I hate exercise. It is so boring! I run/walk on a treadmill at the gym and take walks outside, weather permitting, but get uninterested and bored so quickly and dread it. I used to love taking walks, bike rides, and runs because my dog went with me, but I don't have her anymore.
Does anybody have any tips?? Please help.

Replies

• revren10
    revren10 Posts: 116
    Options
    if you got an i pod download music that gets you moving, and don't try and go crazy in the begining when you first start working out. It's gonna take time but believe in your dream and you can accomplish it
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I normally do exercise videos because I'm too terrified & embarrassed to go to the gym, and I keep trying different ones because they all bore the crap out of me. It's just not fun, at all. Only thing I've found so far to be a decent form of exercise & is fun, is playing tennis with my fiance [or sometimes one of my friends]. Normally I just end up chasing the ball around because I really suck, but yea. I kind of hate all sports & have no interest in playing them, but if you have a random sport you like to play, do it, it's a little more than being on the treadmill at least.
  • Nana_Booboo
    Nana_Booboo Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Do what's fun.

The things that are fun and you don't notice the "exercise"

Like dancing
    swimming

My fun is Aqua Zumba where it's more fun than exercising. The hour class is over before I realize it!!
  • slayerdan
    slayerdan Posts: 193
    Options
    Music. I survive the bike, the treadmill, running the stadium, and the sauna with music. You wont love the exercise, but your focus is elsewhere so you dont mind.
  • Gordie580
    Gordie580 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I play video games when I do my work out in my basement. It seems to pass the time very well. My games last about 30-45 min and I work out the whole time.
  • AloyMomNwife
    AloyMomNwife Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Time... eventually you won't hate it. I felt the same way a year ago ad now, I don't love it but I get very cranky when I don't work out... you will become addicted to the endorphin trip you get after working out. Time and patience will get you there. Good luck!
  • fittraier
    fittraier Posts: 138
    Options
    try other stuff...spinning class, water exercise, swimming, maybe a video you can do at home, zumba, a les mills class like bodypump or bodyvive, there are other things. Yoga, pilates. you live in maine..snow! cross country ski, snow shoe, hike in the nicer weather.

try crossfit studio if you have one in your area, quick fast 20-30 min intense workouts.

Don't limit yourself!
  • lilsassymom
    lilsassymom Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I used to have a gym membership but like you I found the equipment boring when I did go to the gym. So. now I use workout dvds at home. Instead of paying a monthly gym membership fee I use that money I would've spent on a gym membership and put it towards my equipment for home----dumbbells, workout dvds, heart rate monitor etc. I find working out at home much more fun because I have worked my way up to quite a large collection of workout dvds. You don't need treadmills/ellipticals to lose weight. I hope you find something that works for you:smile: .
  • tdmcmains
    tdmcmains Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Heard somewhere that the best exercise is the one you'll do. For me, as goofy as it is, I work from home and just don't want to cart my lazy *kitten* to the gym so I do workout DVDs like Jillian Michaels. It's a little embarrassing, I think, strutting your stuff in your own living room but it works for me and makes me sweat my butt off, so I guess that's good.
    I'd say try some different things and see what you will tolerate. Maybe join a local volleyball team, raquetball club, i dunno. But I agree, gyms are boring!!!
  • stablesong
    Options
    Try new things. Personally, I hate treadmills but I love the elliptical. I like running in the neighborhood but not on a trail. Don't limit yourself because you might find something like Zumba or dance DVDs that you really enjoy!
  • carrieann1967
    carrieann1967 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I hate exercise too and have always avoided it like the plague. I was always at the back for cross country running at school. I started doing zumba a couple of months ago and I'm hooked. I go to classes twice a week and play Zumba 2 on the Wii. Try it its a great laugh.

Try other exercise classes too and see which ones appeal to you. If you like dancing try some dance classes, street dance, tap dancing, whatever you want.
  • kgchisholm
    kgchisholm Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I think music helps a lot. But you have to find the RIGHT music that pumps YOU up.
  • RooChilders
    RooChilders Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I exercise with the Wii a lot. If I am having a I don't want to work out day I usually play the tennis on the Wii Sports. Always start small in your exercise goals that way you don't get burned out to quickly. Try doing some outside activities. If you enjoy yard work or shoveling snow for this time of year they are both a really good calorie burn. Good luck I hope this helps.
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Find something you like. I enjoy playing tennis and am also starting to love Yoga through Jillian's Yoga Meltdown dvd. I also like 30 Day Shred, it's a rather quick workout.
  • Scorpiotwinkle
    Options
    Ipod. LIsten to the music you love to dance to and go for it! I have been going to the gym religiously every six days since 3rd Jan 2012 and today is the first day that I feel FANTASTIC. I keep saying it to everyone because I can't quite believe it either - I was like you and hated getting out of breath and sweaty, but now I love it and can't get enough. I wouldn't be able to do it without my music though.
  • Pollyfleming
    Pollyfleming Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    if you got an i pod download music that gets you moving, and don't try and go crazy in the begining when you first start working out. It's gonna take time but believe in your dream and you can accomplish it

^^^^^^This!
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    My ipod helped a lot when I was first getting back into working out. I also loved doing Couch to 5k (the GetRunning App rocks!). I mostly work out alone, because I prefer it that way, but often get a group together and we go for bike rides or walks. Groups help keep it fun.

Another thing that has worked for me is doing fitness-based vacations. I cycled & hiked across part of Ireland, cycled across Wisconsin, and last summer spent two weeks hiking, climbing and camping in Maine. (If you're close to Acadia, I am jealous!). No, the whole vacation isn't always fitness based but I try to work in activities that are. When I keep in mind that my vacation will be better the fitter I am, I find that extremely motivating! Even more so than a bikini or a pair of short-shorts.

Good luck to you :)

(maybe try tennis, golf, volleyball....something fun and active but not necessarily "dreaded exercise".)
  • mrmarius
    mrmarius Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    try to find things you already enjoy that you dont consider "exercise"... for instance i love basketball so its not exercise for me but i get a bigger calorie burn from it than anything else.. look into new things maybe you'll find something thats fun, i like turbofire because its fun and i really hate "working out".. also like o thers have said get some good music to listen to that helps as well
  • TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I believe that you have got to find what you love. I do not like ellipticals or treadmills either. I get super bored. So, find what you like. I like lifting weights. But, I took a Zumba class and a Crunk class at my gym last year and I loved them. In fact, now I am the gym's Zumba teacher. I say, try different things and different types of classes. And I think it will click that you LOVE this. Personally, if it has dancing in it I am going to love it.

But, if you do not like the exercise that you are doing, you will not keep it up. Find what you love to do!! So, if you are like me and love to dance...look for a gym that offer some sort of dance/workout class.

I need to add, I do not do well working out at home. Too many kids and things to do at the house. I have to go to the gym to workout.
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Music is my thing, but if your gym has lots of different torture devices like mine does, go find out when their trainer is in (or the one who demos the machines) and get them to show you how they work. Then get some music and go for it. Have a friend who does that ski looking thing, she says she puts the same music she uses when she's skiing and just closes her eyes and pretends she going cross country, lol. I do a lot of rowing and I did that a lot as a kid so I have lots of imaginary places to go. On my off days I play on the Wii fitness plus, flapping around like a chicken is a better workout than you would think, lol.