Replies

• Molly182
    Molly182 Posts: 406
    Options
    Thank you =) !
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    Elizabeth, you're awesome. This is important stuff so I'm gonna come back in a couple days and bump it because people should see it.

I figured out the other day that I have gained and lost the same 3 pounds for the last 3 months (I've been doing this for 6 months, losing 17 in the first three months). However, during this 3 month period in which I've "plateaued" if all I cared about was the scale, I've shrunk more inches, losing about a size and a half (tens to tight twelves then to 8's sometimes 6's now). I've gotten where I can squat press my body weight. I can climb a freakin rock wall, now. I can do so much stuff, and my body is looking better. I think most of these non-scale improvments have happened during this time that the scale has NOT moved. So, beginners, please take note of other indicators of your starting point. Pick some pants that fit well now and pants you wish did. Notice when that changes. take measurements. Take horrifying before pictures. And don't give up. Find stuff you enjoy and go hard at it.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Another tip to add, ties in with #10. Weight loss is NOT linear. Your body doesn't understand the concept of days or weeks, it doesn't care if you pick a specific day to be "weigh-in day." You always have to think in terms of averages, trends and the big picture. If you lose 8 pounds one week, and then nothing the next 3, you're still averaging 2 pounds a week.

Also, a lot of people say to keep changing things up, just keep in mind, it takes about 6 weeks to see any results from activity. So change things up when they lose effectiveness, but if it's only been 3 days, that's just silly.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Another tip to add, ties in with #10. Weight loss is NOT linear. Your body doesn't understand the concept of days or weeks, it doesn't care if you pick a specific day to be "weigh-in day." You always have to think in terms of averages, trends and the big picture. If you lose 8 pounds one week, and then nothing the next 3, you're still averaging 2 pounds a week.

Also, a lot of people say to keep changing things up, just keep in mind, it takes about 6 weeks to see any results from activity. So change things up when they lose effectiveness, but if it's only been 3 days, that's just silly.

EXCELLENT points to make.
  • spookystitches
    spookystitches Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Not really a newbie, but thank you for this post! Sometimes I have to remind myself of the "DO NOT LET THE SCALE TAKE YOUR MOTIVATION AWAY!" after a bad week like last week. lol Funny how even though you're doing all the right things, your body will sometimes take a minute to catch up. Seeing the number on the scale stand still or even go up is kind of frustrating, but feeling better is what it's all about in the end anyway, not the number! :)
  • frosty73
    frosty73 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for this post, Elizabeth! I thank you from the bottom of my noob-heart. :wink:
    ~Jess
  • kimmid70
    kimmid70 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    This is really great, thank you. I was having a bad day today and reading this helped. I'm going to print it out and read it often!!
  • FiremanSam111
    Options
    Bump to the MAX! :drinker:
  • Zardpack
    Zardpack Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    As a newbie, thank you for sharing your wise words! I lost on WW before and found many of these points to be true!
  • SarahMorganP
    SarahMorganP Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Great post! :)
  • k1mcat
    k1mcat Posts: 68
    Options
    Bump
  • eileencorry
    Options
    Great info
  • Idabud
    Idabud Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    The scale has definitely frustrated me, too. I am definitely going to start taking measurements. And even though the scale has not moved, my clothes do fit better so it must be working. I am on my fifth week of working out (at least three or four times a week) and I am not going to stop. The advice really helps!! Thanks!
  • alleyrat
    Options
    Thanks for posting this -especially not allowing the scale to take away motivation - as it is trying to today. Bookmarking this for a cheerup read along the way.
  • peachied
    peachied Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this! I will have to remember #5 and #8...especially #8 :smile:
  • LizzyH2009
    Options
    Not excatly newbie here but your post is def on my mind to keep up with weight loss goal. i just have to be more serious and have fun with workouts and mix up meals up.
  • jessilynn1982
    jessilynn1982 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Thank you! SO appreciate you posting this! :)
  • Jaw_g
    Jaw_g Posts: 46
    Options
    Bump to the MAX! :drinker:

what Sam said!!!
  • siwelh
    siwelh Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Great post! I agree with all of it!
    Thanks for sharing!
    \

I agree- thanks for taking the time to write this!
  • sarajo16
    sarajo16 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Bump for motivation