I WAY undercut my calories today

Options
Crazy... I looked at a report of my calories from the last 7 days and all they have done is drop each day. Today, I finished out at 699 calories- no carbs, no fat (natural ones of course), just vegetables, berries, and lean protein (ground turkey). And I had a great workout today! Spent 45min. on the Stair-Master. I think I gave IT a work-out! Not to mention, I did strength training too. I am gonna have my track and dancer body back before I know it! Just excited that I resisted giving into food temptations today and didn't eat even close to my "suggested calories" :)

Replies

• KKluvUSC
    KKluvUSC Posts: 37
    Options
    Crazy... I looked at a report of my calories from the last 7 days and all they have done is drop each day. Today, I finished out at 699 calories- no carbs, no fat (natural ones of course), just vegetables, berries, and lean protein (ground turkey). And I had a great workout today! Spent 45min. on the Stair-Master. I think I gave IT a work-out! Not to mention, I did strength training too. I am gonna have my track and dancer body back before I know it! Just excited that I resisted giving into food temptations today and didn't eat even close to my "suggested calories" :)
  • purrrr
    purrrr Posts: 1,073
    Options
    why don't you just cut the calories to a zero and up your excercise minutes, this way you will make it even faster to your goal weight... it's also an even faster way to make it to the ER of your local hospital... :explode: :explode: :explode:
  • iftcheiaf
    iftcheiaf Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    115.gif
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    why don't you just cut the calories to a zero and up your excercise minutes, this way you will make it even faster to your goal weight... it's also an even faster way to make it to the ER of your local hospital... :explode: :explode: :explode:

so true so true. And so sad that some people actually think eating like that will work.
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    A track and dancer's body is lean, strong and healthy. With your diet, you will get lean...not strong and not healthy. Please consider eating an appropriate diet, not for someone who is borderline anorexic. You need AT LEAST twice the cals you are currently eating. Carbs will help to fuel your workouts. Please re-evaluate what you are doing to yourself before it is too late!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options

I understand what you are trying to do, I really do. But the body needs a minimum amount of dietary fat for health, you really do. You can't survive for a long time on no fat. As to no carbs, that's a lifestyle choice, but it's a serious one, you need to do a lot of research on it, and change many many things before it is a healthy way. And really, it's not better for you, as research shows, to eat so few calories. Your body will store fat instead of building muscle, making it far harder to lose weight the right way, it makes you weaker because muscle tissue is canabalized to make up the calorie difference, and organ function slows. Healthy weight loss, especially for someone who isn't obese to begin with, takes proper nutrition along with exercise.

Purr, IMHO, that really isn't the way to explain it. A lot of these guys are only doing this because it's all they know how to do. Trust me, I know how you feel, but this is a forum for help and knowledge...I hope that we can all try to be constructive. It probably came out different then what you wanted (I hope), but remember, there is no inflection in written posts, and a lot of people will get angry at that.

To Kerri: see what I mean? Over and over and over :tongue:
  • purrrr
    purrrr Posts: 1,073
    Options
    Purr, IMHO, that really isn't the way to explain it. A lot of these guys are only doing this because it's all they know how to do. Trust me, I know how you feel, but this is a forum for help and knowledge...I hope that we can all try to be constructive. It probably came out different then what you wanted (I hope), but remember, there is no inflection in written posts, and a lot of people will get angry at that.

i know, i myself never knew there was another way to lose weight before, i've been around 155-170 lbs most of my life and have made it down to about 140 by eating very little. yes, it worked but i could hardly climb 10 stairs without feeling i'd faint any moment and it obviously didn't work for too long and i am at the weight i am now and finally going to do it like it's supposed to be done. so, posts like this just drive me rats and i wrote the first thing that i felt up there. i meant it in an ironic way and i know what it takes most model girls to look what they look. it's just sad it has to happen tho. i'm sorry if i hurt the OP, i obviously meant just the opposite. :ohwell:
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options

i know, i myself never knew there was another way to lose weight before, i've been around 155-170 lbs most of my life and have made it down to about 140 by eating very little. yes, it worked but i could hardly climb 10 stairs without feeling i'd faint any moment and it obviously didn't work for too long and i am at the weight i am now and finally going to do it like it's supposed to be done. so, posts like this just drive me rats and i wrote the first thing that i felt up there. i meant it in an ironic way and i know what it takes most model girls to look what they look. it's just sad it has to happen tho. i'm sorry if i hurt the OP, i obviously meant just the opposite. :ohwell:

tough love can be an eyeopener. it jsut gets frustrating hearing this 20 times a day. If it were as easy as starving yourself for a period of time, nobody would be overweight. Unfortunately starvation leads to malnutrition, organ failure and death, not to mention a screwy metabolism.
  • 72lori
    72lori Posts: 6,753 Member
    Options
    Banks, I applaud you for having the energy to continually reply to these posts! You rock. If it were me, I would have little blurbs saved so I could just copy and paste.

Thanks for helping out all those who need good info!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Banks, I applaud you for having the energy to continually reply to these posts! You rock. If it were me, I would have little blurbs saved so I could just copy and paste.

Thanks for helping out all those who need good info!

WARNING: Thread Hijack alert!!!

Ha! I've thought about it. Sometimes I just post links to past things I have done. But I don't want to give the impression that I'm putting out canned speach. I love being able to help when I can. And just as much, I love spirited debate. Maybe a little bit of it is for my own self worth, but a lot of it is just being able to hear someone say, "I did it, and I did it the right way!"

Purr,
    I wrote that as much for the people who would immediately jump to attack your statement as I did for you. I have seen you post many times, and know your heart is in the right place. When I saw your post I immediatly recognized a little inflection, but I also knew a lot of the new people might infer something far different then I would, just wanted to get it out there that you were trying to give help and not berate her (in your own special way. :tongue: ).
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    You definitely need a minimum of 1200 calories per day to not go into starvation mode. Good luck!
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    I apologize if my earlier post was a bit strong. My friend's daughter ate a similar number of daily calories. She has struggled with anorexia and its related health problems for many years. It is painful to watch someone wasting away like that.
  • star139
    star139 Posts: 134
    Options

it seems like the easy way to do it but it's NOT. trust me! your body will go into starvation mode, and you're basically creating your own road block. i understand it seems backwards to fuel your body with food, but thats exactly what you need to do. food is fuel for your body, especially when you're working out. if you continue the way you are, you'll lose weight, and become weak. then when you start eating normally again, all that weight is going to come back. like they always say...slow and steady wins the race!
  • staceyw37
    staceyw37 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options

**makes you weaker because muscle tissue is canabalized**

and that is why risk of heart attack is great for anorexics.
    please eat more--i'm sure there are lots of people who love having you around. :flowerforyou:
  • KKluvUSC
    KKluvUSC Posts: 37
    Options
    Whoa whoa... you all way misunderstood. It wasn't an intentional cutting of my calories. It just happened that when I was eating all of my meals yesterday that only consisted of lean protein, fruits, and vegetables that I came out way under my calories. It wasn't like an anorexic ploy or something. When I used to run track, I ate really really healthy and still worked out for 5hr. practices a day. I was skinny, lean, etc. I stopped running track, don't have quite the same workouts today as I did then, and my diet went a little hay-wire. I am just going back to the way I used to be. That is my whole goal here- Healthy healthy diet and sufficient exercise that is actually doing something for my body. Being able to go 30min. on an elliptical doesn't mean your physically fit. Physically fit is strength inside and outside. I can do all I can to make the exterior its best during my workouts, but what I put on the inside matters too.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Fat is IMPORTANT. It necessary for proper nerve function, cell development, vitamin absorption, and healthy skin. I don't see a need to remove carbohydrates from the diet either. They are protein-sparing. If you're coming in way under your calories, eat more. It doesn't matter if there's a psychological aspect to undereating--it's still harmful.
  • jenn_in_sj
    jenn_in_sj Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    My Mom is a nutritionist and this is one thing she always preaches about. Your body will go in to fat storing mode if it does not get the calories it needs. Your weight loss will plateau and your calorie cutting will have the exact OPPOSITE effect that you desire! The average woman's body needs a minimum of 1200 calories a day ... and that's if she's sedentary. If you are working out too you will need to eat more than 600 calores, my dear! I promise you it's true. Do you watch The Biggest Loser? EVERY season there is one contestant who cuts their calories thinking it will get them an awesome weigh-in and they either wind up losing 0 pounds or gaining a pound or 2. Please eat!
  • gflynt
    gflynt Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Wow.

I think you guys jumped all over her a bit prematurely.

She didn't say, or even suggest, that she planned to consume so little nor did she state that this was going to be a daily thing. She was simply commenting that it happened. One day last week my net calories resulted in about 800 (and I am a 178 pound man!).

She even started the post with "Crazy."

Nothing to see here, folks. Move along....move along.....