Lets talk depression

Options
13»

Replies

• _persephone_
    _persephone_ Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I've had bouts of depression my whole life, and it very definitely affects the way I eat. When I'm in the acute beginning stages of it, I can barely eat at all (and have often gone days without thinking of food). Obviously this plays havoc with my metabolism, so when it starts to ease off I usually start craving sweet things (which is partly my body crying out for energy, and partly due to the complete lack of motivation to make real food, I think) I tend to gain a lot of fat.

However, I have found in the past that a very healthy diet and regular exercise really helps me stave off depression (I managed to have 2 years completely free of it in this way before I had some hectic life stuff go on, which set me off again)...in fact, this is why I'm here now, trying to get back on course again.

Try to find an exercise you really enjoy...the endorphins will help take the edge off the way you feel, and don't beat yourself up about overeating once in a while.

And big hugs to you too, it sucks, but it'll get better :)
  • MamaChunk
    MamaChunk Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I do and it does...

I have struggled for years. My Dr started my on meds, and it has really helped. I do, however, have days that I struggle.

Some days I don't want to eat, other days I can't keep the fork away from my face...:grumble:
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I have acute depression, that was destroying everything to be honest. I comfort ate to the point of putting on 8 stones in 1 year alone, as one the next year. I went on a drug called Mirtazipine\zispin and it changed my life. Its for depression, anxiety and sleep. I also started therapy, this has helped also. Keep fighting for your happiness and demand more help from professionals, some times you have to really fight for the help but its worth it! Zara x
  • craftzilla
    Options
    I was diagnosed with depression/anxiety disorder about 8 years ago. Recently, since being pretty stable, I'm trying to go off my meds. Like others, I gained a lot of weight on meds. (Lexapro and generic prozac...of course my psych always said, "There's no proof that meds cause weight gain!" I also found it very difficult to lose any weight while on my meds. Did any of you find that? And, if you did, how did going off influence your weight loss.

Obviously being stable, healthy and happy is more important than weight loss, but I'd really like to start losing more weight, too =) Good luck to all of you who struggle with SAD and Depression/anxiety. It is a very, very difficult thing to deal with. My prayer are with all of you!