Cravings - how long to get them under control?

Options
Hi, I've been here 3 weeks now, and am doing ok, most of the time. However, in the last week I've had big big cravings for sugar - mainly in the form of chocolate!!! After two weeks of including a treat each day I thought I had it under control, but as soon as I get bored - in work, and the working week starts tomorrow, I want sweet stuff, chocolate, biscuits and cake, all of which I can get hold of easily in my workplace.

So, how long to get a craving under control properly? And............any tips to stop me eating sweet things - I am already taking half a fruit bowl to work with me, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't :laugh:

Replies

• Alice_H
    Alice_H Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    (Someone's probably going to jump on me for pushing protein again, LOL!)

A doctor pointed out to me a few years ago that if I was having big sugar cravings, it probably meant I needed to eat some protein. Eating a serving of lean protein tends to curb my sugar cravings. Another thing I've had to do is really minimize my sugar intake - it seems like if I get a taste of it, I want to go crazy with it.
  • spazwgeo
    spazwgeo Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    There really isn't a magic solution to this. I have been on my weight loss journey for 2 years now and still crave chocolate. I just grab my water bottle and drink that instead. I do allow myself chocolate though. If you totally cut it out you will want it even more.
    You can always try chocolate protein bars...that way you get the nutrients while eating the chocolate.

A good cake that you can eat that is low in calories is a strawberry short cake.
  • shana_phoenix83
    shana_phoenix83 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I definitely agree with Alice_H. I rarely have serious cravings now, but when I do they are usually taken care of by eating protein- greek yogurt, protein smoothie, string cheese & almonds, etc. I've also found, like Alice, that minimizing my sugar intake helps the cravings to go away. If I have a mini-size snickers from someone's candy bowl, I'm inevitably going to have 10 of them, lol. For me, it's better to stay away all together. Staying hydrated has been crucial for me, too. Good luck!
  • shana_phoenix83
    shana_phoenix83 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Also, something that I heard here (can't remember who said it), was that when they had these cravings, they had a diet soda and some cottage cheese. I don't know if you drink diet soda (I do), but it definitely helps me to have the sweet taste without the calories. I know people have differing takes on diet soda, but it's worked for me, and adding protein with it helps to curb the cravings.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I make sure I have plenty of boiled eggs. I only eat the white, it has 17 calories (for a large egg), protein and is filling. You can eat several and not go over your goals. Also, I drink a glass of water or a Diet A & W rootbeer.
    Brush your teeth,, it feels gross and tastes nasty to eat anything afterwards! Those things almost always curb a craving.
    If you have to have chocolate try Swiss Miss Diet Hot Cocoa. It only has 25 calories.