Wrong calories on nutritional info?

Options
I read a while ago that the calorific figures given by brands and restaurants may not be entirely accurate. Apparantly companies are permitted a 10% "fluctuation", so what we think is only 500 calories, may actually be something more like 550 calories. That may not seem a lot, but when you add up the figures, it could make the difference between losing or gaining that last lb.

I was wondering if anyone else had heard this... or whether it was just a rumour that I heard (it was a while ago if I am honest, so my memory may well be distorted!)

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    Options
    Restaurant food is prepared by humans. Some humans grab a bigger pinch of cheese or a larger spoonful of oil than others. It doesn't take much.

Luckily our bodies aren't that specific on exact numbers. They are dynamic systems. If you are within 200 calories of your goal, everything will work out fine.

That said, I eat out five times a week. I'm not ballooning up.
  • Lose_It_Leo
    Lose_It_Leo Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I think you missed my point...
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,015 Member
    Options
    It's not a rumor. It's a fact. Restaurant food is almost always higher than their menu states. Since people prepare the food, there will always be discrepancies.

I worked in restaurants for many years. . ..

What was your point?